Coyote Likely Killed Blind, Deaf 'Minnie'

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
UPDATE: Coyote Likely Killed Blind, Deaf 'Minnie' - Sierra Madre, CA Patch

Minnie, a blind, deaf 15-year-old Maltese, was most likely killed by a coyote, according to Dr. Kathleen O'Dwyer at Rosemont Pet Hospital.

Minnie was found dead in a Montrose backyard before 6 a.m. on Monday in the 2500 block of Community Avenue, near Rosemont Avenue, owner Joshua Doud told Patch.

Doud woke up and could not find the dog, which was common for Minnie, who was blind and deaf and wandered outside through a pet door to go to the backyard. After searching, he found a bloody location on the driveway, behind a tall fence.

It was unclear what kind of animal attacked Minnie, but neighbors report often seeing coyotes in the area, Doud said.

Minnie was taken to Rosemont Pet Hospital and examined, Doud said.

Hospital staff told Doud that residents have been taking their injured pets there following attacks from wildlife.

Doud's mother, Salli Jo Doud, suggests that locals should keep their pet doors locked and take extra precaution.

Heck, even a hamster could have killed a 15 year old deaf and blind dog. :(

Aw, that's heart-breaking. Sounds like a case of "too soon old, too late smart" for the owners. I don't think I'd allow a blind, deaf dog to have at-will exit to the backyard, especially if coyotes are known to be in the area.

Sad :(

I have coyotes all over on my property. Farmers hunt for them on my property once a yr b/c they hunt sheep. Major problem in Ohio. My family hears them all the time howling. They eat raccoons,rabbits,deer,anything.

Aw, that's heart-breaking. Sounds like a case of "too soon old, too late smart" for the owners. I don't think I'd allow a blind, deaf dog to have at-will exit to the backyard, especially if coyotes are known to be in the area.

I would not allow any small dog to have an at will access to being outside. Especially knowing coyotes are on the loose.

How ignorant of the dog owner!

Deaf or DeafBlind pets SHOULD NOT be let go outside, period cuz their survivability rate is nearly virtually zero.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Geez. :-(

I would never have let a blind and deaf dog out like that. Shame on the owner.

But, that should be common sense. Not sure why this thread was started.

The reason why the coyote population is so out of control is due to the dwindling resources. Whose fault is that? Ours.

Although I think people are too quick to blame the coyotes for the loss of livestock. It's a fact that the majority of livestock losses are due to diseases. Mostly respiratory and digestive problems are the reason why they lose a lot of livestock. The reason why coyotes are often blamed is because they are often found scavenging the livestock.

Back