Which do you preferre

• Courting

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Dating

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

ASLnikki

Reaction score
ok, for those of you who don't know what courting is, it's where two people who are "going out" both have their mind set on marraige, instead of just a one night stand or a fling. a serious relationship. i would like to which you all would chose.

"courting" is used in the old days -- 1800s to turn of century 1900s thereabouts -- that word has been basically dropped from society -- so id think "dating" is a more common term used for a couple in a serious relationship that would lead to marriage but then again it COULD have a broad meaning and perceptions so it might ofc get a bit confusing :dunno:

Originally posted by Fly Free
"courting" is used in the old days -- 1800s to turn of century 1900s thereabouts -- that word has been basically dropped from society -- so id think "dating" is a more common term used for a couple in a serious relationship that would lead to marriage but then again it COULD have a broad meaning and perceptions so it might ofc get a bit confusing :dunno:

That's true, Fly -- although, the word 'courting' is still used, but rarely.
Now I have a question....since I met my husband via online and in a chat room and we fell in love there, EVEN before meeting in person. What is it called nowadays since we're into computer and technology era -- there should be some sort of a word meaning 'dating' online....?

Last edited:
Originally posted by WaterRats13
That's true, Fly -- although, the word 'courting' is still used, but rarely.
Now I have a question....since I met my husband via online and in a chat room and we fell in love there, EVEN before meeting in person. What is it called nowadays since we're into computer and technology era -- there should be some sort of a word meaning 'dating' online....?

:dunno: good question waterrats -- maybe 'cyberdate' or uhmm 'love via cyberspace' haha -- im guessing on what it would have been termed as :lol:

Originally posted by Fly Free
:dunno: good question waterrats -- maybe 'cyberdate' or uhmm 'love via cyberspace' haha -- im guessing on what it would have been termed as :lol:

what abt cyberrelationships? or just LDIR ( long distance internet relationships) a thought .......

I voted dating, but i dont consider it a waste of time. I've been dating the same guy for 4 months and it's a great ride (lots of fun) if there were marriage in the picture that'd be kind of awkward I think. I dont know :)

i know this guy who can't date, he can only court. i have been thinking about that, and my mom said it was the same way with me. because some peole date when they are like 13-14, and they know they woun't end up with the person they date, that's a waste of time. but, the person i court, or get courted by, i would like to know that this might be the person i end up with forever.

That makes me remind myself of a time when My mom and I were driving down to a town about 30 miles away for a baseball tournment. I have never been to that town before. We saw an awesome ranch place and a good looking girl walking along the fence working on the fence. She had dressed up like a cowgirl and had an older man (her father I think) helping her. She seemed like my age (14) . I told my mom, I ought to court the owner's of that ranch daughter...

Then few seconds later (still driving by) when we got to the end of their ranch (you can tell by the fences), my mom said, "Looks like there were a lot of boys who courted the daughter" and pointed to the huge cemetrary (graves) still inside their fence. That made me gulp. :p

Originally posted by SilenceGold
That makes me remind myself of a time when My mom and I were driving down to a town about 30 miles away for a baseball tournment. I have never been to that town before. We saw an awesome ranch place and a good looking girl walking along the fence working on the fence. She had dressed up like a cowgirl and had an older man (her father I think) helping her. She seemed like my age (14) . I told my mom, I ought to court the owner's of that ranch daughter...

Then few seconds later (still driving by) when we got to the end of their ranch (you can tell by the fences), my mom said, "Looks like there were a lot of boys who courted the daughter" and pointed to the huge cemetrary (graves) still inside their fence. That made me gulp. :p

that's hilarious!!!!!!!!! that would be sortta scary. :ugh: my dad said that if a guy ever broke my heart, he would break something of their's, :naughty: but in a nice way

ASLnikki said:
ok, for those of you who don't know what courting is, it's where two people who are "going out" both have their mind set on marraige, instead of just a one night stand or a fling. a serious relationship. i would like to which you all would chose.

Actually, "courting" is a term that English people do actually use, even to this day. It can also mean people going out, not only to "date" but where sex is involved.

How about courting via the Internet and snail mail? I feel like I've been courted by and am courting a wonderful British guy.... and have been doing that over 2 years (actually I was in a relationship with someone else during that time, at which point the long distance guy was respectful to me like a good friend to talk to) Now I'm really interested in him (actually I've been interested in him since the beginning).

Is that crazy? No, I won't run away and not tell anyone else where I would be or who this guy is. I'm smarter than that :D

(Sorry for going a little off-topic on this on-topic thing)... I vote courting because it's more appealing to me. I'm a little old-fashioned ;)

i vote courting.. because these days.. at my age (23) is a time when it's serious to find a relationship and hoping to stay long and then get married... dating.. seems like a waste of time.. u just date, maybe never seen again, silly act to do.. maybe dating is good for ages under 18.. since they're not old enough to think what real relationship is all about..u know just testing urself on what u prefer, etc..

I sort of agree with Scuba.... I'm 23 too... I've had my serious relationships, and a few dating experiences... I felt I'm not really much of a dater, too much games to be involved in... it seems.

I'm a one-man woman ;)

hold up.

I fail to see any substantial difference between courting and dating.

You can date someone before you settle on exclusive drilling rights, and that could be called courting in an extended sense. I have dated in the past before moving on to a more serious level in the relationship.

We are capable of dating today because of equality - the ability of women to choose their sex partners as opposed to their fathers choosing the suitors. That wasn't the case in the past, where courting was the only option. Dating is a modern concept between consenting adults and comparing a modern idea to an ancient one is ill-conceived. History matters here more than anything.

While you might court someone for the sole purpose of marriage but marriage has lost much of its luster in the day and age of post-feminism.

I think courting and dating are two different words with two different meanings. Courting is when a man wooes a woman he likes into marriage. Usually back there, people do not date around like people do today. I think when women got more rights, things changed. Women realized that they don't have to be stuck in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant anymore so many went on to college/university and got themselves careers and became very independent. They had more choice in who they end up marrying and even have the decision not to marry.

Dating, to me means people going out to have fun. It may or may not lead into marriage. Unlike how courting usually ends up.

Back