Court of public opinion looms large in George Zimmerman murder trial

The 911 dispatcher told him that he didn't need to do that after asking if he was following him. It doesn't mean that he should stay in the car. It meant that he "should" (not "must") stop following him but he could get out of the car whenever he wanted. He was not advised to stay in the car. Hello?

Are you nuts?? If the cops did not want GZ to follows TM in his car what made you think the cops would want GZ to follow TM on foot! I bet you if the cops knew GZ was going to get out his car the cops would had advise against it. I can see why your username is 'CrazyPaul' , you really are crazy!

The Continued Politicization of the Trayvon Martin Case

The cover of Tuesday's New York Post is dedicated to the Trayvon Martin story, but there's a twist: It's not about Martin (or his alleged shooter, George Zimmerman) at all, but about the tragedy being "hijacked by 'race hustlers.'"

This is by no means the first time the Post has run an article about the story, but as we noted Monday, this story has expanded to include George Zimmerman defenders and witness accounts (who these witnesses are, exactly, is not known) that seem to support Zimmerman, as well as tidbits that seemingly impugn Martin, like that he was once suspended for having a baggie that had contained pot.

This story in the Post is not quite the same as those, but it does represent a further stage in the media coverage of this story that, though possibly less tragic, is really no less inflammatory. Which is one reason it's getting the front page -- the story has national attention, and the race angle is bound to sell papers. Plus, we have some major New York characters figuring in at this point, including Al Sharpton and Mayor Bloomberg, who is using the shooting to criticize lax gun laws that allow for concealed weaponry. The story on the cover of the Post is this: Former NAACP leader Reverend C.L. Bryant has said that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, whom he called "race hustlers," are exploiting the Martin case to "racially divide the country" -- and they're using Trayvon, "this child," "as the bait to inflame racial passions." (The photo on the cover of the Post, however, is of New York State Senators Kevin Parker, Bill Perkins, and Eric Adams, who wore hoodies with their suits on Monday in tribute to Trayvon.)

On Monday, Jackson and Sharpton held a protest attended by thousands in Sanford, Florida, the town where Martin was shot. If tensions are high throughout the nation about this case, they are higher in Sanford. The Post's Frank Rosario, Erik Kriss, and David Seifman write that Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplet "called his city 'a tinderbox' set to explode amid the racial tensions." Bryant's criticism of Sharpton and Jackson is about race as well: That in focusing on this particular case, and this one example of "white men killing black young men," we're ignoring black on black crime, which is the true epidemic, says Bryant, “The greatest danger to the lives of young black men are young black men.”

While this may be true, it's also somewhat akin to blaming a vegetarian for using a leather handbag. Which is to say, as individuals, we should all stand up for what we believe in, and not, in standing up for one thing, be necessarily expected to take on whole-cloth other related issues or else be called hypocrites. To claim that outrage is not real or is wrong because it's not a broader outrage about every issue is a political tactic in itself. In fact, Bryant, a conservative, is not sparing this opportunity to blast Obama for saying "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon."

One thing is for sure. Anyone with a political interest (and even those without) already has strong feelings invested in this case, and is going to express and use those feelings, if politically motivated, to further his or her cause. (Rush Limbaugh has weighed in too, of course.) Frankly, it's a little too late at this point to point fingers at anyone "using Trayvon," because we all are—including Bryant—in terms of what this shooting means to us, in terms of what we see as the factors that led to the tragedy, in terms of what we hope to achieve from all of the awfulness. If the Trayvon Martin case calls attention to not only a tragedy in one neighborhood in Florida but also helps us address and begin to resolve greater racial and social issues across the nation, that's a good thing. Though not something a 17-year-old should have had to die for.

The Continued Politicization of the Trayvon Martin Case - Jen Doll - The Atlantic Wire

I thought the opening statements were won decisively by the prosecution.... But yes these witnesses are hurting the prosecution. That last police officer sounded more like a defense witness.

I feel that prosecutors are leading the witnesses too much. The prosecutors
are asking questions that leave the witnesses no room to answer in their own ways.

Well, remember that "not guilty" does not equal innocent. When a juror says "not guilty" they are simply saying that there isn't enough proof to say guilty. If you were a juror and were unsure if GZ was guilty or not, then your answer is "not guilty"

Oh I see, that's interesting.

In some courts they allow jurors 3 options. Guilty,Not Guilty and Innocent. Not the case here though

Yes, I think it will be different if he is charged with manslaughter.

The current evidence and court testify don't fit murder charge for Zimmerman.

I noticed Zimmerman has two different prosecutors - Angela Corey and de la Rionda - why 2?

I noticed Zimmerman has two different prosecutors - Angela Corey and de la Rionda - why 2?

It's common to have more than one to share the load. The OJ trial had 6 or 7... Most notably Marcia Clark, Christopher Darden and Bill (I think) Hodgeman.

I remember how hilarious Jay Leno made fun of them during OJ trial as well as Judge Ito.. hence "Dancing Ito" :lol:

[yt]XQPVA2bGsB4[/yt]

It's common to have more than one to share the load. The OJ trial had 6 or 7... Most notably Marcia Clark, Christopher Darden and Bill (I think) Hodgeman.

what's the matter? ah yes... it's because you're afraid that you're wrong :lol:
Oh man, don't you remember reading what GZ explained to the police what happened? THAT's his story and I believe him. If you don't believe him, I don't care.

So far so good for GZ. The prosecutor used the witnesses who went GZ's way. It looks bad for the prosecutor up to now. The state will lose.

Well, I would have to assume from all that's going on at the trial, that George was only doing his job and Martin was out at the wrong time. I'm sorry to say but he wasn't exactly a straight A student or anything. He did a lot of stupid things. He was at his dad's because he was suspended from school for bringing in pot and he grow some pot in his room. He took pics of himself bragging how tough he looks or whatever with his gold teeth, acting all ghetto. I'm sorry, I have nothing against black people. I have a lot of black friends but it is the ghetto people I do not have any respect for. I'm sorry if you have a problem with me on that, but I am just being honest because I had my own experience with some black ghetto people who are immature, violent, and not even very bright. Martin is one of those examples as being the ghetto kid so I am not surprised that he would start the fight before Martin. I'm sorry, I am not saying that to defend George. I am only saying that from my own experiences. It is a real shame Martin was only 17 and he didn't deserve to die that way though. If he was still alive, he should've learned his lesson.

Most likely the Prosecution is going to request a Man2 jury option and the Judge will allow. The Murder 2 charge was just an effort to appease the public.

Oh man, don't you remember reading what GZ explained to the police what happened? THAT's his story and I believe him. If you don't believe him, I don't care.

So far so good for GZ. The prosecutor used the witnesses who went GZ's way. It looks bad for the prosecutor up to now. The state will lose.

ah good... then you're basically saying Trayvon followed Zimmerman.

ah good... then you're basically saying Trayvon followed Zimmerman.

Which really doesn't matter under FL law. Especially if Trayvon was on top of Zimmerman as 2 witnesses are saying.

Yea, so since he was on top of him, it's probably safe to assume that he did try to take Zimmerman's gun before he shot him. If he saw his gun, he would've backed off but he didn't. He was just being stupid.

Most likely the Prosecution is going to request a Man2 jury option and the Judge will allow. The Murder 2 charge was just an effort to appease the public.
Do you mean involuntary manslaughter and they can change the charges during the trial?

Back