Cost of Living

We can’t reliable SSI/SSD rest of our lives. We are not totally handicapped. We can find the job if you try very hard enough. Make a good resume to emphasize them to hiring you. Tell them that you can do anything expect your ears are broke !

I can’t image to stay home everyday without a job ! I will freak out without a job ! Otherwise, I work for the Government twenty-two years. Of course, I always desire to work with Deaf people than work on the technologies. I have ten more years to go for my retirement. I may work different field with people.

State of Massachusetts is awful cost of living high ! You can't live by yourself in an apartment around here !

~ Sabrina

Well, I work and support myself while in college. I used to be on SSI and it sucks. I'm making the change and helping others to get a job and a life outside the welfare system. It is a great feeling working for your money and being independent....Thank you, Lord!

Originally posted by blackmercedez
Well, I work and support myself while in college. I used to be on SSI and it sucks. I'm making the change and helping others to get a job and a life outside the welfare system. It is a great feeling working for your money and being independent....Thank you, Lord!

Yeah, I agree with you, blackmercedez -- I love the feeling of earning the money I get from work and heaps more than SSI (although I don't get that in Australia).
When I was living in USA, I was on SSI for a short period when I was in college, but it sucked big time. Couldn't afford a lot of things -- thankfully, my parents allowed me to live at home without paying rent, phew!
But working for my own money is better as I earned more than what I got from SSI a month!

In Australia, I can be eligible in receiving pension for being deaf, but I chose not to because I prefer to work!

Goldie

I am on the RSDI/SSI disability and MSA Grants, No jobs at all. I live in section 8 Federal Housing Agency for handicapped apartment units (Lot of wheelchair residents!). Several deaf disabled lives in my apt bldg too.

I prefer to work and not be dubbed as a bludger here in Australia - I prefer to work and earn what I can earn and buy what I can afford!
It's impossible to live on SSI $600 in California for ONE bloody month! I made double that amount when I worked. So, apparently working is BETTER than being on the dole.

Goldie

Originally posted by Justin Sane
WTF?

I am 22 years old and I own the house. Its all about work, and money wise.

COST OF LIVING is lower at some states, that explains why you are a homeowner.

When I was 20 to 22 years old, I lived in a one bedroom apartment for $500 a month. I rarely used electricity and the phone so my bills were $20 each a month. That's pretty much it. I did have a car at that time and was paying $200 a month for that. For food, I paid about $100 a month. Overall, that would mean, it cost me $840 a month. I was making $1000 a month so I was able to save a hundred bucks or two at that time.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
When I was 20 to 22 years old, I lived in a one bedroom apartment for $500 a month. I rarely used electricity and the phone so my bills were $20 each a month. That's pretty much it. I did have a car at that time and was paying $200 a month for that. For food, I paid about $100 a month. Overall, that would mean, it cost me $840 a month. I was making $1000 a month so I was able to save a hundred bucks or two at that time.

the apartment alone would 1300 in some areas... :(

Originally posted by kalboy
the apartment alone would 1300 in some areas... :(
Yeah... that's true. The apartment that I got was in a run-down neighborhood. I didn't have my own laundry machine so I had to walk outside about fifty yards to the mini-laundromat which cost me a buck per use of a washer and another buck for a dryer. However, I was placed in the "mature" area which was one-third of the whole complex. The other two-thirds was mostly wild adults and kids.

Hello everybody,
I have read all the thread that u had make the comments.. I was former ssi/ssdi user. I really hate it . What I can suggest for some of u who doesn't have job yet and still search for it.. Let me share my experience with you. You probaly not know it would work out or not... Some would be success to get full times job from Temporary service. That what i had use Temporary service as exploer experience and found job where I work right now. that which it really graceful for that !! I suggest you to use temporary service. OFC they do pay u every week .. sometime no luck with job but keep bug them that ur being desire to find job to make some dough in ur pockets. Thats what I did and It does work .. I really THANKS GOD FOR THIS JOB! I will keep pray for all of u who need to get a job. Don't stay on SSI / SSDI TOO LONG !! otherwise u would have overpaid or lose ur future retirement invests ! You probaly wondering "WTF RETIREMENT INVEST ?? " OH YES!! That for SSDI !! that where SSDI come from ur previous job as SS taxes. That's for retirement invests .. I know two friends of mine was trap and force them to work during late 50's because they had been on ssi for many years until the SS come up and told them that they are no longer pay them as they owe them ... Which isn't fun to do !! Thats what it hit me to realize what is it all about... so that how it got my ass up and find some mystery key to open the door to land on the Job! I hope that some of u would try to take my suggestions. and Think about it ..

Originally posted by knightwolf68
Hello everybody,
I have read all the thread that u had make the comments.. I was former ssi/ssdi user. I really hate it . What I can suggest for some of u who doesn't have job yet and still search for it.. Let me share my experience with you. You probaly not know it would work out or not... Some would be success to get full times job from Temporary service. That what i had use Temporary service as exploer experience and found job where I work right now. that which it really graceful for that !! I suggest you to use temporary service. OFC they do pay u every week .. sometime no luck with job but keep bug them that ur being desire to find job to make some dough in ur pockets. Thats what I did and It does work .. I really THANKS GOD FOR THIS JOB! I will keep pray for all of u who need to get a job. Don't stay on SSI / SSDI TOO LONG !! otherwise u would have overpaid or lose ur future retirement invests ! You probaly wondering "WTF RETIREMENT INVEST ?? " OH YES!! That for SSDI !! that where SSDI come from ur previous job as SS taxes. That's for retirement invests .. I know two friends of mine was trap and force them to work during late 50's because they had been on ssi for many years until the SS come up and told them that they are no longer pay them as they owe them ... Which isn't fun to do !! Thats what it hit me to realize what is it all about... so that how it got my ass up and find some mystery key to open the door to land on the Job! I hope that some of u would try to take my suggestions. and Think about it ..

Interesting! I never knew that! Well, I don't know how it'll affect me as I'm not living in USA...I guess I will do a bit of research and find out how it affects me since I don't collect SSI at all and live overseas.

Goldie

Back