Copyright Bill Makes It Easier to Target Illegal Filesharing

*humming the Baretta song*

Born a troll
Die a hypocrite....

poetic life to live.

Do you support criminal activities involving luxury goods in a free society?

I also wanted to add to my previous statement that it is better to look forward to the future than battling issues of the past. It doesn't get anything done to bicker and argue over the surface issues. Pure cosmetic.

That's why I went down to the root of all piracy (reverse engineering). Better to look at it that way so we can quit yakking away or wasting time. Usually I reserve my points, but for this one I thought it was necessary to show it all out on how the world works.

Wirelessly posted

naisho said:
Do you support criminal activities involving luxury goods in a free society?

Not sure if you're directing this at me or someone else.

I don't support criminal activities. I understand why it exists. And I realize that there's potential for why it needs to exist.

Meant to help foxrac develop critical thinking.

My response? In cases of the former Soviet Union and People's Republic of China, peiple are not politically free. They are forbidden from gaining access to certain music, movies and novels. In that case, I would wholesomely welcome the black market.

When it come to people trying to get free entertainment in a free-market society-- not so much since they're not really contributing anything to the economy.

Dervivative works? Those are necessary for creative thoughts to flow, and right now the copyright laws are suffocating progress.

The tricky questions though... are human vices like drugs and other contrabands. Why? We have to ask ourselves on both sides of the coin: who does it harm, and what is the extent of the damage done? Is it worth the damage? Can they be regulated or controlled?

somebody has gone General Lee

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9NETBWiXLE]YouTube - Women driver goes "General Lee" in her car at the airport[/ame]

:hmm:

Several other sections of the Copyright Act are relevant, also. 17 U.S.C. § 102(a) provides:

Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Look at it from a hacker's perspective.

Why do they do this?
Some probably for money. MANY probably for the challenge.

Remember? You said it yourself that improving yourself is the key to success. It works in this situation too.
wink.png

The Woz! Captain Crunch!

I am against derivative works.....that's how we went from "The Fugitive" to "U.S. Marshals"

:lol:

I am against derivative works.....that's how we went from "The Fugitive" to "U.S. Marshals"

:lol:

:dunno: Nothing I can say about that.

Derivative works, reverse engineering, whatever technicalities you want to call it - has been around since the beginnings of mankind.

To police some it might be good, but is it worth the cost and time involved?

Mildly to an extent I can agree, but over-excessively or compulsively (read RIAA) that one side loses more than the other?

Let those hackers keep hacking. It needs to happen. The Windows 64-bit kernel was broken on the recent (Mar 2010) Pwn2Own hacking event, where even the critically acclaimed mighty microsoft corporation-backed technology fell to the hands of a few script kiddies.

Do you WANT them to stop hacking? Yes.
Should you want them caught? No, because you want to understand how they were able to think against breaking the code in the first place, you need competition to win.

17 u.s.c. 106
§ 106. Exclusive rights in copyrighted works38
subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

(4) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works, to perform the copyrighted work publicly;

(5) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, to display the copyrighted work publicly; and

(6) in the case of sound recordings, to perform the copyrighted work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission.

lol it's like illegal immigration issue :lol:

:thumb: right on, another issue as well. And it doesn't end there too. Don't ever see it doing so until everyone has had sex enough to become the same race. :lol:

Indeed....in many many ways. Especially the illegal part. :lol:

since you like Confucius/Buddhist philosophy.... should we continue on spending money, resource, etc. on combating the issue that yields a little result?

Back