Cop "Not Sorry"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A real man? Isnt that setting up a standard for all men to follow?

How about a "real leader"?

it's one of the most humble attributes of a real leader. I do not care for "all men" because they are not the one leading thousands of men and women. Entire police officers and soldiers across the nation, including Americans, look up to the President for leadership to guide us thru whatever it is. Did he do that? nope.... he divided this nation by deepening racial tension and distrust between the public and law enforcement. A real leader would do something about it instead of inciting racial anger... which is why poor Lucia was a victim of it.

So what he did wasn't very presidential of him. Maybe he should leave office and go back to what he used to do - a community organizer. :roll:

I'm deeply disturbed by what's going on because Obama has clearly and blatantly abused his Presidential power by interfering with the local police matter that got his friend off the hook with the prosecutor. I guess Obama's just like rest of corrupted politicians :roll:

Again, that article is implying that this arrest was race-based. It was not. And again, fanning the flame on race when race had nothing to do with this in the first place.

Gates was treated as any belligerent person would have been. The arrest was not about race. Don't mouth off to cops....

looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree...

x4zzn.jpg

Oh blimey *unbelievable amazing*

You can´t accept the fact that Crowley´s, Gates´ and Obama´s beer meeting goes well.

I am very amazing that you don´t bother to say anything that Crowley should apology Lucia Whalen for his inaccurate report but continue demand Obama public apology to Crowley.

Obama hosts race row beer reunion

Black Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates has met the white officer who arrested him in his own home over a beer at the White House.

President Barack Obama organised the meeting between Mr Gates and Sgt Jim Crowley in a bid to defuse the race row triggered by the arrest.

As promised, the three men and Vice-President Joe Biden enjoyed a beer while they discussed the situation.

Mr Obama drew criticism when he described the arrest as "stupid".

The president said Thursday's meeting produced a "friendly, thoughtful conversation".

"I have always believed that what brings us together is stronger than what pulls us apart," he said in a statement.

"I am confident that has happened here tonight, and I am hopeful that all of us are able to draw this positive lesson from this episode."

'Narratives about race'

Sgt Crowley said no one had apologised, but the meeting had been "cordial", and "we agreed to move forward".

He did not give details of what was discussed.

Sgt Crowley: "This was a postive step"

"What you had today was two gentlemen agree to disagree on a particular issue," he said.

Mr Gates said he and Sgt Crowley had been cast together as characters "in a thousand narratives about race over which he and I have absolutely no control".

He said they should both use the opportunity "to foster greater sympathy among the American public for the daily perils of policing on the one hand, and for the genuine fears of racial profiling on the other hand".

Prof Gates was apprehended at his own home after a witness saw him apparently trying to force his way in.

He was held for disorderly conduct after allegedly accusing the arresting officer, Sgt Crowley, of racism.

The arrest sparked a row about the treatment of ethnic minorities by police in America.

Statistics suggest that African-Americans and other minorities are more likely to be stopped by the police than white Americans.

Mr Obama commented on the incident at a televised press conference last week, saying the police had behaved "stupidly".

He was subsequently criticised for expressing opinions without being in full possession of the facts.

Ahead of the meeting in the White House Rose Garden, Mr Obama dismissed the media's naming of the meeting as a "beer summit", saying it was just "three folks having a drink at the end of the day".

He added: "It's an attempt to have some personal interaction when an issue has become so hyped and so symbolic that you lose sight of just the fact that these are people involved, including myself, all of whom are imperfect."

Mr Obama drank a Bud Light, Mr Gates a Sam Adams Light, Sgt Crowley a Blue Moon, and Mr Biden a non-alcoholic Buckler.

BBC NEWS | Americas | Obama hosts race row beer reunion

For Crowley´s supporters.

Cop, scholar to meet again after Obama chat
Two men at the center of race uproar meet at White House for beers

WASHINGTON - The black scholar and the white police sergeant who arrested him agreed to disagree and promised to talk again, a gracious conclusion to the first round of an eye-opening dialogue on race that allows President Barack Obama to get back to selling his health care plan to skeptical Americans.

After accepting Obama's invitation to discuss the July 16 incident over a beer Thursday evening at the White House, both Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Cambridge, Mass., police Sgt. Joseph Crowley thanked Obama for the cold ones served on a patio near the Rose Garden. Neither they nor the president offered apologies for their roles in the affair.

Obama became embroiled in the debate over whether Crowley was justified in arresting Gates at his Cambridge home when the president told a news conference last week that police had "acted stupidly." He quickly backtracked in the face of police complaints, acknowledged he should have used different language to express his concerns, and invited the two men to join him for a beer.

"I have always believed that what brings us together is stronger than what pulls us apart," Obama said after the highly anticipated, 40-minute conversation. "I am confident that has happened here tonight, and I am hopeful that all of us are able to draw this positive lesson from this episode."

Pledging future talks

White House officials were content to let Obama's involvement in the incident end right there. Gates and Crowley said they were eager to get back to work, although both pledged future talks aimed at better understanding.

Gates said he hoped the entire experience would prove to be an "occasion for education, not recrimination," adding that the burden now rests with him and Crowley to use the opportunity to foster wider awareness of the dangers facing police officers and the fears that some blacks have about racial profiling.

In a nod to all that's facing Obama, his friend, Gates added, "It turns out that the president just might have a few other things on his plate as well."

"We agreed to move forward," Crowley said later when asked whether anything had been solved. "I think what you had today was two gentlemen agreeing to disagree on a particular issue. I don't think that we spent too much time dwelling on the past. We spent a lot of time discussing the future."

Barely viewed

That's precisely where the White House wants the public to be looking. Although Obama had invited Crowley and Gates as part of what he called a "teachable moment," it was barely seen by the masses. The permitted news coverage allowed the public to get the we've-come-together photos and video footage that the White House wanted, while keeping the discussion private among the men.

"I noticed this has been called the 'Beer Summit.' It's a clever term, but this is not a summit, guys," Obama told reporters in the Oval Office before the meeting, trying to lower expectations. "This is three folks having a drink at the end of the day, and hopefully giving people an opportunity to listen to each other. And that's really all it is. This is not a university seminar."

The incident that brought them together was well known by the time the three men met, joined by Vice President Joe Biden: Crowley had investigated a potential burglary at Gates' house and ended up arresting the protesting professor for disorderly conduct. The matter mushroomed into a debate on racial profiling, fueled by Obama's "acted stupidly" remark.

‘Difficult spot’
Vesla Weaver, a political scientist who studies race and criminal justice at the University of Virginia, said she doesn't fault Obama, the nation's first black president, for not pushing the conversation to a broader discussion of racial injustice. "He's in a bit of a difficult spot," she said, given the nation's extremely sensitive reactions to matters of race.

Crowley told reporters that Obama served merely as a facilitator.

"He provided the beer. He contributed in a small part," Crowley said. "He really wanted to bring two people together to try to solve not only a local issue in Cambridge but also what has become a national issue."

So much of a national issue that Obama's popularity took a hit, especially among white voters, according to a poll released Thursday.

The survey by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center found that 41 percent of respondents disapproved of Obama's handling of the Gates arrest, compared with 29 percent who approved. Among whites in general, more disapprove than approve of his comments by a 2-1 margin.

The poll of 1,506 adults was conducted July 22-26. It had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

"Politics aside, the most important thing that should come out of today is that two people sat down and talked to one another," said Karen Finney, a former Democratic National Committee spokeswoman. "That is how real change happens, when people are willing to challenge their own biases by talking to people who are different from themselves."

Cop, scholar to meet again after beer chat - White House- msnbc.com

I understand that. I'm just saying the audio is a poor guide to judge the extent of yelling, although it does indicate there was at least some yelling.

Accord Crowley´s report, Gates was "loudly and tumultuously" - the audio tape, you prove itself that Gates was not "loudly and tumultuously"

urban dictionary is an impecible source for all legal references :giggle:

Of course I know the link I provided is a definition/dictonary. The definition/dictonary helps the people to understand the examples.

Did you read the link, I posted?

Just Say 'No' to Police Searches | FlexYourRights.org

At Your Door Scenario | FlexYourRights.org

name and badge number are on the police officer's uniform. Gates asking him to prove his identity, lead to Gate's arrest when he left the inside of his residence

No matter what, Crowley should gave his business card, where his name and badge number is included to Gates. It shows itself that Crowley disrespect Gates´s request.

in some cases it is, the police use different laws to back themselves up and use it agaist the accused.

again all gate's had to do was show Crowley his ID and be resectful,

Accord Gates´ statement, he did and require Crowley for his name and badge number. Crowley choose to disrespect his demand.

they both should have been treating each other with respect.

Yes, it would be great if Crowley gave his name & badge number to Gates.

no he was a suspect until he proved his identity. then he was a home owner

If it does as what you say then Crowley´s unprofessional to treat Gates as an intruder when Gates told him that who he is and he break in his home. Gates told Crowley that he get his ID but Crowley ignored and walked into his home uninvited. It means that Gates respect Crowley´s request for his ID, not Crowley. Where´s Crowley´s respect Gates´ request for ID and badge number? Crowley should have known that GAtes told him before he get his ID, not walk in Gates´ home uninvited.

You and I have different POV on Gates´ arrest.

Let agree to disagree. :)

he didn't know for sure, until the ID was provided.
theives do lie and claim the home is their home when being caught in the act. criminals lie about all kinds of things. that is why the cop needed to positively identify Gates.
the fact that there was a 911 call for possible burglary gives crowley the

probable cause to enter the home.

Accord 911 Caller, the burglar may be hispanic, and think it may be the homeowner because she saw 2 suitcases on the porch.

Crowley was at Gates´ porch. He must have seen that Gates´ 2 suitcases still on the porch and Gates is not hispanic.

Where´s Crowley´s professional and common sense?

if gates was smart he would have known how to conduct himself and not have pissed off the cop

which pissed off the cop that went on to arrest him, not the way to handle it

If Crowley was smart then he should have known the rights.

Again, Gates did is not illegal accord 1st and 4th Amendment.

Oh blimey! *unbeleivable amazing*

Your posts show itself is hyprocrite and very childish.

I am trying my best to be patience to positive/correct your posts to open your mind.

Your post is quite comical and interesting. What's interesting to me is that you are a terrible flip-flopper. Worse than John Kerry. Your view on this issue has changed 3x while my view in this issue NEVER changed. Originally - you started with hating & blaming Crowley. Later you agreed all parties were at fault. Now you're siding with Gates, Obama, and Lucia. MAKE UP YOUR MIND! :confused:

What's so comical to me is that whatever your view is - you continually construct the interpretation of the situation to YOUR changing view. When your view changes, your interpretation of the SAME situation changes. Please make up your mind! :dizzy:

Very simple is: My comment was before and after Lucia Whalen´s situation, police audio and 911 call tapes come out to light.

Before Lucia Whalen, 911 Caller´s situation I was neutral on Gates, Crowley and Obama until Reba posted the article over 911 Caller comes. It got me skepitcal then one day later after that the truth come to light thru Lucia Whalen. After Lucia´s statement and both tapes of police audio and 911 call comes, I accept the fact that Crowley lied on his report about Gates and Lucia. My view on Gates´s behavior remains unchanged is overreacted.

I really don´t know why you can´t use any common sense.

Can you please show me where I say anything to hate Crowley? My POV on Crowley doesn´t mean that I hate Crowley but saw the fact what and how Crowley did.

there are hundred of cases like this all over America. Why did media decide to pick this specific case and ask Obama for his reaction?

Why can´t you use your good judgment yourself instead of listen media´s misinterpretation?

Because Gates and Obama know each other. You know what the President of United States should have said? "no comment"

Like what I said before that Obama should pick something differently than "Police Officer acted stupidly".

Funny, you complain that Obama should say something on Iran election at other thread and then complaint that Obama should not say something on Gates´ arrest.

:confused: :scratch:

It´s not first time that you make many opposite posts.

do you know why Obama didn't mention Crowley's name even though it's so obvious that Obama's talking about Crowley? Because he ain't got a gut.

No, defamatary will be consider if Obama named Crowley to the public. Obama is smart to not mention his name but just "Police Officer".

What a weak weak character. I'm embarrassed as an American citizen to have a gutless President who can't even call him out. At least Bush and Colin Powell had a gut to call'em out. See my post #168

The link you posted mean nothing but fact is Lucia Whalen and both tapes. Few posts after your post #168, you posted to misinterpret Colin Powell´s view and think that Colin is against Gates which is not. Colin Powell explained his experience as victim of racial profiling and tried to take both sides between Crowley and Gates.

You must file a request (typically by a lawyer) to obtain the police report. Gates' lawyer most likely filed a request for police report and then disseminated it to newspapers. Beside, police reports are usually always released to public on most high-profile cases.

Police report MUST be accurate.

Because Obama made this local news into a national news, he inconvenienced everybody especially Lucia.

You are first person who blame Obama for put Lucia in a bad situation. Yes, you are first person. We (most people) know that it´s Crowley´s responsible for ruin Lucia´s good reputation and expect Crowley to apology Lucia.

Beside - do you have a proof that police department released the police report to public?

Huh? the link of police report was being released to everywhere. We all read police report that´s hurt Lucia´s reputation.

Obama's comment - "And number three -- what I think we know separate and apart from this incident -- is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that's just a fact."

That comment made this incident about racism.

Huh? The fact, I do not see that Obama state Gates´ arrest was an "example of profiling" but history of racial profiling exists in America. What Obama said is fact, not racist.

Are you saying that racial profiling is not exists in America or what?

The people with different races have their own feeling, consider it as racial profiling as the same as the deaf people have their own feeling, consider it as discrimination, etc. They overreacted sometimes.

I as deaf person has my own feeling and see different as hearing people. It does the same with black people and their own feeling, see different as white people.

That´s what Obama is trying to say about history. Yes it´s fact, not racism.

how is Crowley's report racist? "2 men" and "2 black men" is not racist. It's just a little mistake.

wow, look at your own post... :lol:

Do you remember your own post #9 for accuse Obama and Gates as a race card and my question at m post #62 toward your post #9 ?

And remind you that Crowley also mention race in his report, too. All what you said is "It´s just a little mistake".

I pasted my own post #62 over here . "Obama acknowledged his error.

What card are you playing?"

Unfortunlately you skipped my question # 62.

I assume that you would not accuse Obama as a race card if Obama is white.

My POV on form of racist is:

1. I would consider as a racist if a person said "yes, they must be black men because white men wouldn´t do that".

2. I would not consider as a racist if a person described what intruder look alike because a person saw them.

The paper is called POLICE REPORT. A police officer is required to put in detailed report including all parties involved to the best of his memory. It is expected to have few minor mistakes such as wrong color, clock time off by few minutes, and wrong number such as 2 eggs instead of 1 egg.

No matter what, Crowley´s report do not support Gates, Lucia Whalen, police audio and 911 caller tapes. Crowley´s report is an inaccurate, period.

Do you know what DEFAMATION means? The term "defamation" does not even apply to this case! You need to stop inventing the word for wrong situation. Defamation means the person spread unfounded rumor about you in order to destroy your reputation/life. In order to sue someone for defamation, you must established the fact that the person INTENDED to ruin your reputation/life by creating lie/rumor.

Huh? I do not need your lecture. I know the definition of defamation for a long, long time. Yes, Crowley hurt Lucia´s reputation by slander Lucia´s name in his report. This is a defamation because Lucia NEVER mention the race to Crowley. Lucia was being insulted by ignorants because they read Crowley´s report and Crowley said to the media as well.

Fact is Crowley use Lucia´s name to false in his report. I feel that Lucia deserve a huge apology from Crowley for his inaccurate report.

Obviously - Officer Crowley did not INTEND to ruin Lucia's life/reputation and Crowley did not PURPOSELY create lie to ruin Lucia's life. Next time - please consult with someone with knowledge of law before you spout some more comical nonsense.

Excuse me, you make no sense.

Crowley knew what he is saying but why he put Lucia´s name in his report for when Lucia never mentioned race to him? he KNEW.

Obama needs to APOLOGIZE to the public, not acknowledge that he should have worded it differently. APOLOGY! I DEMAND APOLOGY!

It´s up to Crowley, not you. It´s okay with Crowley after beer meeting. :)

I feel that Crowley should apology Lucia for defame her in his report.

You do not want to see truth anyway. :dunno:

Huh? how? I do not see anything that Obama said that Police Officer acted Racist or Gate's arrest was Profiling. Please show me where? I use my good common to interpret Obama´s own word, not listen media´s interpretation on Obama´s word.

See above for correction.

1. Again - Obama turned this incident a NATIONAL news.

Crowley did the same as well. Obama acknowledge his error and accept his responsible. Where´s Crowley´s word to accept his error on his report?

2. You must file a request to obtain a police report - usually by a lawyer

It MUST be accurate.

3. Crowley did not PURPOSELY defame Lucia

Sorry, to me... YES because Crowley must have known that Lucia never mention those word to him but why he wrote on his report for?

4. Obama MISSPOKE in the news and assigned the blame to police for "stupidly" arresting Gates and because of that, it makes people think this is about racism. Because of that - Lucia became a victim.

Nope because Lucia has nothing do with Obama´s public comment on Police Officer´s stupid behavior. I do not see anything that Lucia said about Obama but clear her name and explain that she never said one word "black" to Crowley and 911 Operator until 911 Operator asked her for kind of races.

Nobody except you blame Obama for ruin Lucia´s reputation. Sorry you make no sense... :roll:

I believe all three of them owe each others an apology, not just Obama.

4. Obama MISSPOKE in the news and assigned the blame to police for "stupidly" arresting Gates and because of that, it makes people think this is about racism. Because of that - Lucia became a victim.

Now, I question that. Because Obama said the police acted stupidly, people accused him of playing the race card? What if everyone, including the media, misinterpreted his meaning? :hmm:

Directed to CCSinned

Directed to Jiro

Oh blimey! *unbeleivable amazing*

Your posts show itself is hyprocrite and very childish.

I am trying my best to be patience to positive/correct your posts to open your mind.

Liebling,

When one person claims to follow the "agree to diagree" adage in one post yet post a completely opposite message in the next message, this is where this person needs to step away from the thread. This is where YOU Liebling need to stop right now.

Liebling, I am very fed up with your bullying and your trolling. It stops right now. It has been going on too long. Finish!

I believe all three of them owe each others an apology, not just Obama.

Well said, Cheri!

Now, I question that. Because Obama said the police acted stupidly, people accused him of playing the race card? What if everyone, including the media, misinterpreted his meaning? :hmm:

Again, very well said Shel!

"Stupidly", people see "stupid" and already people accuse him of playing the race card. Where did that come from? "Stupid" and race card came from "stupidly?" :eek3:

Everyone keeps forgetting Lucia and she says she will still call the police for anyone in trouble. Why is everyone fixtating on the men and why wasn't Lucia invited for beer as a thank you as well?

Good posts my dear Cheri and Shel!

Liebling,

When one person claims to follow the "agree to diagree" adage in one post yet post a completely opposite message in the next message, this is where this person needs to step away from the thread. This is where YOU Liebling need to stop right now.

Liebling, I am very fed up with your bullying and your trolling. It stops right now. It has been going on too long. Finish!

Excuse me, Are you saying that I bullying, not Jiro? Do I understand your post correctly? Have you read his post toward me? It´s very annoy but I leave his post alone for a while instead of jump to bash him straight way. I am patience and positive to clear his misinterpretation/provoke post instead of bash him?

With CSinned is a polite debate which is different as Jiro. I thought you know that.

When CSinned no, which mean is he stand his own POV as the same as I stand my POV on Gates´ arrest. "Let agree to disagree." CSinned and I know how to handle our positive debate agree to disagree, not Jiro. Please re-read Jiro´s post toward me, instead of jump and accuse me of something I didn´t.

Well said and :ty: Cheri.

Yes, Obama, Gates and Crowley have their favorite beer at White House. They are happy and move on.

Well said and :ty: Shel90.

Yes, that´s right.

Well said, Cheri!

Again, very well said Shel!

"Stupidly", people see "stupid" and already people accuse him of playing the race card. Where did that come from? "Stupid" and race card came from "stupidly?" :eek3:

Everyone keeps forgetting Lucia and she says she will still call the police for anyone in trouble. Why is everyone fixtating on the men and why wasn't Lucia invited for beer as a thank you as well?

Good posts my dear Cheri and Shel!

Yes, that´s what I thought so.

Yes, it´s very sad about Lucia. I feel bad for Lucia

Of course I know the link I provided is a definition/dictonary. The definition/dictonary helps the people to understand the examples.

urban dictionary is not a real dictionary. it is not a credible site. it is written by any visitor that visits the site.

you might has well have quoted kermit the frog, sesame street reporter

yes and i personally know two men from a biker chat room who tried what was written on that site. they are both resided in jail for a short time for disorderly conduct & resisting arrest...

they didn't know the president and could not create national news...

No matter what, Crowley should gave his business card, where his name and badge number is included to Gates. It shows itself that Crowley disrespect Gates´s request.
wake up, he didn't show it to him so gates would follow him outside....

Accord Gates´ statement, he did and require Crowley for his name and badge number. Crowley choose to disrespect his demand.
same as above.

Yes, it would be great if Crowley gave his name & badge number to Gates.
no it would have been great if gates would have stfu, should his ID and let the cop go on his way

If it does as what you say then Crowley´s unprofessional to treat Gates as an intruder when Gates told him that who he is and he break in his home. Gates told Crowley that he get his ID but Crowley ignored and walked into his home uninvited. It means that Gates respect Crowley´s request for his ID, not Crowley. Where´s Crowley´s respect Gates´ request for ID and badge number? Crowley should have known that GAtes told him before he get his ID, not walk in Gates´ home uninvited
no. the police have to treat anyone on a call as a suspect until id is verified. it is not disrespect. it is fact of life. crowley did not know the professor personally, so why should he just take a possible burglar's word for it?
the is not a utopia the would is full of scumbag liars.

crowley did show he was a real cop as soon as he arrested the loudmouth professor.

you have the right to be wrong

Accord 911 Caller, the burglar may be hispanic, and think it may be the homeowner because she saw 2 suitcases on the porch.

Crowley was at Gates´ porch. He must have seen that Gates´ 2 suitcases still on the porch and Gates is not hispanic.

Where´s Crowley´s professional and common sense?
stolen items can be taken out of the home in suitcases...
again the police officer must prove the person lives there. no matter what.

If Crowley was smart then he should have known the rights.

Again, Gates did is not illegal accord 1st and 4th Amendment.
it was illegal as soon as he walked out of his home. gates followed crowley outside. if gates did know Obama, he would be in jail

Liebling,

:werd:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back