Conversation with Hearing People....

BigSpike

Reaction score
MOD: I am not sure where to place this topic...fix it if it belong to other category, thnx!

Based on my observation and comments from other deaf people...I would like to hear your comments and feedback...ok let me start with this:

Often of the time when Deaf person was approaching or want to chat with their hearing staff for general news but sometime relate to working issues..Deaf person became chat chit person and just wanted to talk as saying sup, blah? But often of time Deaf person dont see any hearing staff approach to Deaf person and want to chat as showing eager. Is it because hearing person felt this using paper and pen is kind of waste time? Discuss!

Your written grammar

I would have a very difficult time understanding you (based on the grammar in your post) and would not want to "chit chat".

Most hearies put very little effort into chit chat... it's more to "fill time" than to actually express emotions or ideas. Writing would, in that case, be too much trouble.

Also, most hearies find writing "laborious" because it is easier for them to talk than use their hands (to write or to sign).

I hate chit chat... but can't stop from hearing it. When someone REALLY wants to communicate they'll go the the trouble to write. You are not missing out on much. :grouphug:

Last edited:
BigSpike said:
MOD: I am not sure where to place this topic...fix it if it belong to other category, thnx!

Based on my observation and comments from other deaf people...I would like to hear your comments and feedback...ok let me start with this:

Often of the time when Deaf person was approaching or want to chat with their hearing staff for general news but sometime relate to working issues..Deaf person became chat chit person and just wanted to talk as saying sup, blah? But often of time Deaf person dont see any hearing staff approach to Deaf person and want to chat as showing eager. Is it because hearing person felt this using paper and pen is kind of waste time? Discuss!

Um....what?

johnesco said:
I would have a very difficult time understanding you (based on the grammar in your post) and would not want to "chit chat".

Most hearies put very little effort into chit chat... it's more to "fill time" than to actually express emotions or ideas. Writing would, in that case, be too much trouble.

Also, most hearies find writing "laborious" because it is easier for them to talk than use their hands (to write or to sign).

I hate chit chat... but can't stop from hearing it. When someone REALLY wants to communicate they'll go the the trouble to write. You are not missing out on much. :grouphug:

Chit chat is slang word used by hearing people...maybe you dont understand my word...I was trying to make the point this is all...

Big Spike, i think johnesco understood you
about "chit chat"... maybe johnesco happen to
be one of those who simply have no interest in
any casual conversations.... thats why he thinks
that deaf people do NOT miss anything going on
even though many deaf people like me
i usually feel as if i miss a lot about
what's going on at the office only because
i used to work in a cubicle it's very hard to
see what others were doing or talking about...
so i gave up and then I got used to this...

Last edited:
Lol, interesting topic!
I think a lot of deaf people who consider themselves to be UTTERLY oral are just kidding themselves. There are so many nuances in a hearing conversation that are only gleaned from a lifetime of habit, the uhhs and the grunts, the whiny hmmm that only a dog could hear...
If you observe a group of hearing people in a gathering, it is pretty accurate to say that they ARE filling in "voids", they say something inane and look around to see who will make the next inane statement.
BigSpike, you are not alone.
The only thing that separates you from most hearing folk I know is that you actually MADE a statement here and I salute you for that.

Back