considering getting CI?

Will you consider getting CI?

• Total voters

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
I'm curious if you guys are considering of getting a CI...

PLEASE vote... and explain why or why not.... No RUDE post allowed!

I'm satisfied with what I have right now. I can already hear well with my hearing aid. I can speak for myself as well.

I vote No,, Because I am Happy with who I am...I Can speak for myself, read lips and use ASL...:)

I voted No because I´m happy that way what I am... I can´t see the reason why I want to have CI.
It would of different when I´m 10 years old???
I´m accept what I am.... :thumb:
I´m :deaf:
I´m satisfy what I am.... :angel:
I´m happy with DGS, ASL, BSL..... I get on well with hearing world because they are accept what I am.

:lol: Deaf258...

*ahem*....

I voted ' No ' is because the CI wouldn't work for me.....So , I accept that decision and moved on...I am happy the way I am! :mrgreen:

i voted yeah.. just wondering what its like to hear with it :P

sometimes i want to have a CI just to hear the sounds with it .. just curious.. if i liked it oh awsome.. if i don't like it oh cool.. anyways..

I'm more around with hearies in this small town.. but when i'm in cities i'm more around with deafies.

There was no option of saying that I already got one...as I currently have had a CI for 3 years now...I got it for a reason -- out of curiousity of how much help it'd be for me. :) So far...it's done wonders for me, but don't get the wrong idea of me -- I do still declare being proud being deaf. :) I only use the CI when I'm in a situation that requires communication with hearing people.

:lol: @ 258. Man, you crack me up sometimes. Yeah, I would get one just out of curiosity. I love tech toys, and having better hearing would come in handy sometimes. I’ve always been told that they don’t work in post-meningitis cases because there’s too much bony overgrowth of the ear canal, but lately I’ve been reading things to the contrary. So maybe when the technology improves (and they figure out a way to make the DAMN BATTERIES last longer) I’ll consider it. Here’s something to consider, though—we all know that when you get a CI implanted that it rips whatever remaining cochlear hairs you have to shreds. What if you get a CI and then they figure out how to regenerate hair cells? How would the damage to your cochlea influence the outcome of hair cell regeneration therapy?

Levonian said:
Here’s something to consider, though—we all know that when you get a CI implanted that it rips whatever remaining cochlear hairs you have to shreds. What if you get a CI and then they figure out how to regenerate hair cells? How would the damage to your cochlea influence the outcome of hair cell regeneration therapy?

I asked an audiologist specializing in cochlears the same thing. She stated that probably will never happen in our lifetime, but furthermore, she did say that the cochlear is only implanted on one side. You would always have the option of regenerating the hair cells on the unimplanted side. Granted, it wouldn't be bilateral hearing, but I found that somewhat reassuring.

I voted No because I am fine the way I am.. I am proud to be :deaf:. I can read lips, speak well and use ASL as well. I am pleased with the hearing aid am wearing right now so I don't need anything else. :)

No, Nyet, Nada, Zip, Zero, Zilch for me.

It's hard to teach an old dog like me new tricks!

I'm a sound junkie so, yes I want to hear! Unfortunately, my hearing is still too good to get a C.I.

Nope....I'm HOH and hearing aids work well for me...Plus I have a pure conductive loss (nothing wrong with the coachla) so it wouldn't help me.

deafdyke said:
Plus I have a pure conductive loss (nothing wrong with the coachla) so it wouldn't help me.

Somebody who works for the Cochlear Corporation told me that it is currently possible to implant the transducing portion of the CI directly in the brain stem. I think she’s full of shit, because I’ve never been able to find any reference to this procedure anywhere. Besides, what good would it do to implant it in the brain stem? It seems to me that it would have to directly interface with the cerebral cortex. Got info?

Saline Eyes said:
I asked an audiologist specializing in cochlears the same thing. She stated that probably will never happen in our lifetime, but furthermore, she did say that the cochlear is only implanted on one side. You would always have the option of regenerating the hair cells on the unimplanted side. Granted, it wouldn't be bilateral hearing, but I found that somewhat reassuring.

Don’t be too quick to put all your faith in your audi. This was published 3 weeks ago in the Boston Globe. Cochlear regeneration may be a reality in 20 years or less.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/he...04/02/03/restore_hair_restore_hearing?mode=PF

Levonian said:
Somebody who works for the Cochlear Corporation told me that it is currently possible to implant the transducing portion of the CI directly in the brain stem. I think she’s full of shit, because I’ve never been able to find any reference to this procedure anywhere. Besides, what good would it do to implant it in the brain stem? It seems to me that it would have to directly interface with the cerebral cortex. Got info?

It has been done already.. check "Auditory Brainstem implant" (ABI) news at www.deaftoday.com or do google for that.

Last edited:
DeafSCUBA98 said:
i voted yeah.. just wondering what its like to hear with it :P

sometimes i want to have a CI just to hear the sounds with it .. just curious.. if i liked it oh awsome.. if i don't like it oh cool.. anyways..

I'm more around with hearies in this small town.. but when i'm in cities i'm more around with deafies.
DeafScuba98, Quite good your comment! But think twice if you could try being curiouis ci and to have "try" to hear what if turns it out you dislike.. there's already be done for regret and wanted to be removed ci ? How do you feel about stuck ci on your head and wanted to be removed? That hard for feeling.
I wish I could if I feel.. Hard heart out emotions feel expression.. *sigh*

Anyway, My vote no.., i prefer the way i am now.
For my reason,... I've thanked to God who created me being am I Deaf.. I do not mind.. God wants us being Deaf reason to education about God's word for Deaf Peoples. In my opition strongly about this. No matter what.. who am I.
:thumb: ~*amen*

Bullym0m said:
DeafScuba98, Quite good your comment! But think twice if you could try being curiouis ci and to have "try" to hear what if turns it out you dislike.. there's already be done for regret and wanted to be removed ci ? How do you feel about stuck ci on your head and wanted to be removed? That hard for feeling.
I wish I could if I feel.. Hard heart out emotions feel expression.. *sigh*

Anyway, My vote no.., i prefer the way i am now.
For my reason,... I've thanked to God who created me being am I Deaf.. I do not mind.. God wants us being Deaf reason to education about God's word for Deaf Peoples. In my opition strongly about this. No matter what.. who am I.
:thumb: ~*amen*

Speaking about out of curious things. Umm.. you choose the several words "regret" and "wanted to be removed". Plus; I heard the word has repeat itself with other person that saying: God made me who I am. Nothing for me to preacher to you, heh.

If person talks about the God, who the believer, made the human as nature who the person be. It should be accept-able;however, person denied that would lead the wrongful action? Such require to get laser on eyes without glasses. Require to get plastic surgery to made prettier or for health reason due accident cause happen. Require to get glasses to read better or should without glasses and deal with reading the texts. Require to surgery and get heart patch (implant). Eye, the black ring, has recent implant for forcus the visual (which it design from cochlear implant). Implant your teeth to made look nice. Reqire blind color to see full color.

Now the regret about the action could happen. Implant the teeth and not comfortable and want remove? Laser on the eyes and want to back normal? Heart patch felt not comfortable due pumping too fast and want the old heart back? The plastic surgery for skin and one day that your body turn shrink-- want the moist skin back? Person with full color vision with lot confuse colors but want color blind back? The last one, if you believe God and read the bible; however, will require to read the words with glasses who having hard time to read.

So I think that God has purpose for everything with implant and assist living even the education.

Emotion - it expression out from the loud (hearing). It expression picture out from the head. (deaf)

Back