Considering getting a hearing dog tell me whatcha think!?

wubbie2steps

Reaction score
I am HOH i would say i am 55% lost right 65%loss left starting wearing aids in 2005 or whenever Crash came out cause that was the 1st movie i actually heard and understood 95% of the dialogue.:)

:aw: Well, i am truly considering getting a hearing dog. I get tired of wearing my aids all the time and depending on my hubby to be to wake me every morning or tell me the phone is ringing.( i live in an apt. a sonic boom alarm clock will have the neighbors complaining) I have drowned the apartment below us TWICE b/c i forgot i had the water running for dishes, got on the computer, forgot about the water and left the apartment for 2 hours! Needless, to say (we lived on the third floor) if the 2nd floor neighbor had not been home her home would have been a swimming pool. Super came and wet vac'd and left me a nasty note:Oops:.

I just had my 1st visit with an awesome counselor and she showed me all these wonderful things that will help me-Tcoil, flashing phone,amplifier at work. etc ! yesterday was a wonderful day that left me more confident about my future.:birthday:

I am an elementary school guidance counselor and i think the dog will help me a lot IF i plan to have a baby someday :hmm:.. Plus i think it would be super cool for the kids to have a dog at school and realize it's okay do be different.. What do you think? :cool2: or is a "deaf guidance counselor" too much of an oxymoron to handle?:confused:

Well, think of it as something you need... not want.

I know some deaf people who want a deaf dog because they think they need it. Yet, they spoil their dogs and abuse the hearing dog laws ("I'm deaf and this is my hearing dog. Therefore, I can bring it with me to the mall!")

There are flashers for phones and doorbells. The Sonic Alert alarm clock should not wake up your neighbors if you're using the vibrate mode instead of the super-loud sound mode. I have a Sonic Alert alarm clock. One side controls the volume and the other controls the tone. I simply turn the volume all the way down in case I accidentally leave the sound mode on. That way, I don't bother anyone.

My roommate has a couple dogs. They're not hearing dogs, but make great "doorbells". Whenever someone comes to the door, they always run to the door. So, my roommate didn't need a hearing dog for that. :)

As for running water, that's something you should be more careful about. You shouldn't just turn on the water and then leave the room. If you're going to use the water, stay there.

I know hearing people who left their water running because they turned it on and walked away. They were in another room and didn't hear the water. They simply forgot. If they had stayed with the running water, that wouldn't have happened.

As a guidance counselor, you should also be aware that there are some kids who are allergic to dogs or may be cynophobic (fear of dogs).

So, be really sure that you really NEED a hearing dog... not just WANT a hearing dog.

About leaving the water running....I moved and my bedroom was upstairs, had a king size waterbed...at around 10PM I started filling it up by just sticking the water hose into the hole, becuz I couldn't find the waterbed kit.... went downstairs, sat on the sofa....and passed out!...Had been moving all day long...the apt, flooded, water was coming down from the rafters, carpet soaked, next door was flooded.....was an awful mess!

I've also left the kitchen faucet running also and the floor got flooded!...And I've also left the garbage disposal on...(2 days) and the stove vent on....it ran until it "ran out"....When I came home from work, my dog would look at me very quizzingly!..."Say what?"....It's not easy being deaf!!!...But it's easy being dumb if ya don't stay where the water is running.....

And yea, some people do abuse the laws with hearing dogs. Was at a restaurant and this deaf lady walked in with her dog, went right up to the buffet....with the dog! I believe the law is now that we can take our dogs as long as we they have tables outside for patrons to eat there.

And seen people with their dogs in the buggy at Walmart also...

That's all good advice. I have a (noncertified) self trained hearing dog. We got her because I am alone a lot since my hubby works nights. I would never have heard a burgler. She is good for the door, phone and a super alarm clock. Be aware, she has no Saturday, Sunday or holiday setting. No snooze button. It's up-up-up!!! Play, play, play, love - love! She is hairy, needs lots of baths, shots, walks, and attention. All those fine things that Vampyro mentioned don't need all of that maintenance.
None of those things wake you with morning dog breath, which is only minimally worse than any other time.
Holly did scare away a burgler. She also protects me and herds me away from approaching strangers when we walk. She just does that on her own.
You will never have to clean up nasties from an electronic device. The device will never shed. Big lovely brown eyes are just too sweet, but the dog is a huge responsibility. As you may be to the dog. It's a lot to think about. Holly does not go to work with me. As a fact, because she is also for protection, as well as hearing, she is not well socialized. She loves kids and family.
A dog is a friend, but also require money, time, effort, and like kids, they often require you to have a strong stomach. (eww - but funny anyway)

:aw: well i know the dog will be a huge responsibility. I would love one. My hubby to be thinks the dog would be a good idea in some places. Like if he starts working at night again and when i want to go for a walk (can't hear from behind with aids)..

I know the dog will like having a baby type responsibility.. but in the future if we choose to have a baby the dog would wake me up to the crying and not just my hubby all the time.:hmm:

ANy one come up with more pros and cons.. i need to think if i really can adjust my life for this dog.. work no problem , home no problem,

Just like having a baby, you need to plan for a dog. If you've never had one, most training facilities will not give you one as the biggest issue they find is once they get them, people who have not had a dog before don't want it because it is a lot of work-think having a baby in the house that never grows up. They need to be walked, fed and played with, let out to potty at least 4 times per day, not to mentioned trained for tasks, training maintained etc. The average sized dog costs about $1000 a year to maintain (food vet bills, toys, training classes etc).

Also all people with hearing dogs take on the task of educating the public. Do you enjoy talking to people and telling them why your dog is allowed in the bakery while their dog is not? (and they brought their dog in specifically to meet your dog while he is working!).

If you want to train your own, you must to pick a dog that matches your personality. lifestyle, exercise levels, grooming capabilities (or add more $$ to your bidget), family allergies, and still has the tempermanet to do the hearing task. And you must train it up to standards (In Canada it must be certified but not so in US.)

There is a great article about the realities of living with a service dog at this link!
Psychiatric Service Dog Society

Good luck on your decision.

Well, think of it as something you need... not want.

I know some deaf people who want a deaf dog because they think they need it. Yet, they spoil their dogs and abuse the hearing dog laws ("I'm deaf and this is my hearing dog. Therefore, I can bring it with me to the mall!")

There are flashers for phones and doorbells. The Sonic Alert alarm clock should not wake up your neighbors if you're using the vibrate mode instead of the super-loud sound mode. I have a Sonic Alert alarm clock. One side controls the volume and the other controls the tone. I simply turn the volume all the way down in case I accidentally leave the sound mode on. That way, I don't bother anyone.

My roommate has a couple dogs. They're not hearing dogs, but make great "doorbells". Whenever someone comes to the door, they always run to the door. So, my roommate didn't need a hearing dog for that. :)

As for running water, that's something you should be more careful about. You shouldn't just turn on the water and then leave the room. If you're going to use the water, stay there.

I know hearing people who left their water running because they turned it on and walked away. They were in another room and didn't hear the water. They simply forgot. If they had stayed with the running water, that wouldn't have happened.

As a guidance counselor, you should also be aware that there are some kids who are allergic to dogs or may be cynophobic (fear of dogs).

So, be really sure that you really NEED a hearing dog... not just WANT a hearing dog.

Guess what you can bring your hearing dog to the mall! I have a hearing dog and I can take him just about every where I go! I can't bring him to a private home is the owners do not like dogs.

The one thing I would be concerned about it the breed of the dog! I have a poodle and it cost a lot to keep him groom. If you are tight on money I would not get a dog that need to go the groomer a lot.
Do you want a dog with a lot of energy that will need to be walked a lot or a dog that like to hang around the house . The dog should fit your life syle
I wish I had my dog train to let me when I left the water running! I been going that a lot lately too! If you get a hearing dog let the trainer know you want your dog to to train to tell you a baby crying. I would write all the things that you need help hearing so you will not forget when you are asked what you want your dog to do . I wish I had a hearing dog when my daughter was a baby! You will love having a hearing dog, it will be your best friend!

A hearing dog is a working dog and a pet secondly. A dog is a lot of work and honestly for the average dog your looking at a bill of around $10,000 in the first year alone due to innoculations, registration, tags, and license for the city in which you live. It is also a good idea to get a dog desexed to prevent oopsies. The males may be so overcome with hormones that they may forget they are working and end up dragging you across a busy street to chase down and mount a female in heat. This is a very dangerous situation for ANYBODY. I've seen it happen. The person wasn't well trained in how to handle a dog and how to 'read' the dog to see changes in mindset and behavior before they see the end result - the physical action. I also know of a lady that was deaf and had an intact BLF (black lab female) that was bred and as a result the agency that gave her the dog had to take back the mother as well as a litter of 6 lab-mutts and rehome them all. The BLF had to be completely removed from service and desexed. (This lady does not frequent AD.com, but I still refuse to mention names) She simply had an intact BLF and an intact mixed breed male, the female went into heat and the lady simply did not think. The lady caught all sorts of hell from people on a lab forum from whom she thought she would receive sympathy from. The lady now no longer has the use of a hearing dog for obvious reasons, and no center will even allow her to foster dogs for this reason because it was made public and it has gotten around to many rescue organizations to not allow this lady to adopt or foster dogs. She's not a responsible dog owner.

Also - with this being your first hearing dog I would recommend that you start with a small breed that has already been fully trained by a reputable agency. Smaller dogs don't cost as much as larger dogs in the feed department, but they are more prone to injuries.

Also make sure you and your husband are BOTH on the same page about the dog. If there is any doubt or any disagreement about the dog, then the dog will have a hard adjustment and the fit will not likely work.

Vampy also mentioned devices that can help you through your daily routine. Flashing phones, they also have CapTel phones available so that you can read what the person is saying on the other end, it's kind of like TTY, but it is a direct call not a relayed call.

You can also have your house set up that your lights can flash on and off when someone rings the doorbell, your alarm clock can have a flash feature where instead of a regular alarm, your alarm clock flashes a light to wake you up.

There's a vast difference between wanting and needing a service dog. If you just want a dog, your better off going to your local animal shelter and adopting one for a lot less than getting a trained hearing dog from an agency and they are quite expensive - unless you can prove you are low-income and you need a hearing dog - which is basically added paperwork.

If you really do need a dog - do lots of research. Lots and lots of research - as a matter of fact - I want you to write a research paper about hearing dogs, MLA format, with at least 10 print sources, and any sources found on the internet must originate in print form.

I apologize if I come across as a hardass but I've seen too many dogs end up shot, abandoned, and neglected and left to die simply because the owner got 'bored' with the dog, or 'they got in a financial difficulty' or whatever reason they can come up with and the dog ends up on the losing end through no fault of their own. These are dogs, they have no control over human matters, they live at the mercy of the humans put in charge of their care.

You need a plan for what will happen to the dog should you end up losing your job (entirely possible in this economy) the dog may be the first expense you have to cut - where will the dog go? The first place to look is to return the dog to the agency you received it from and be upfront and honest about your situation. Simply say you, your husband, or both of you lost your jobs and you no longer have the financial ability to care for the dog properly.

What will happen to the dog if your house burns down? Not many places allow pets due to irresponsible pet owners allowing their pets to run amock and destroy property. Again you may have to return the dog to the agency on these grounds on a temporary basis at least until your back on your feet again which can take more than a year in some cases.

When you travel - will the dog go with you or will the dog stay at home? Remember few hotel chains allow pets. Many have a no pet policy and those with service animals or pets may be required to pay an additional deposit incase the animal soils the carpet chews the furniture and what not. Even the most well behaved dog can get into mischief when left to its own devices in an unfamiliar setting. You must have a crate for the dog while on travel. If the dog stays home, will you have a dog sitter come to your residence to feed, water, and excercise the dog while your away or will the dog be boarded at a kennel? If the dog stays at a boarding kennel - which kennel will it be? This can get expensive fast.

You must also look for a vet in your area that will work with you and the dog. Most agencies require that the dog receive a physical checkup and bloodwork every six months to a year and signed by the vet you and the representative from the agency agreed upon. If the vet clinic closes you must find a new vet. If the dog becomes ill or injured you must notify the agency immediately after taking the dog in for treatment. Depending on the injury or illness the dog may have to be removed from service for the duration of recovery or permanently if it is debilitating.

Also another thing to consider is monthly heartworm/flea/tick medications. I'm not talking about the cheap stuff from wal-mart - it doesn't work. Flea collars won't cut it either. These can go anywhere from $60-120 for a six month supply and you can only get these by prescription from your vet.

Bathing and grooming are also key. Most agencies require that you bathe and groom the dog at least once a week. Think about it, no one wants to go to McDonald's for a burger and have a service dog next to them that reeks of pond water - it doesn't matter how cute the darned dog is - if it stinks, it stinks.

You must also have a dog vest that the dog must wear at all times when working that lets others know that this is a working service animal and not to pet. You must never allow anyone to pet your dog. Some agencies also have ground rules set that only YOU are allowed to show the dog affection and only YOU are allowed to play and interact with the dog to ensure that the dog forms a strong and loyal working bond with YOU. Don't think the agencies aren't watching. They will send a representative out to check on you and the dog to make sure all rules are being followed and that all training is being maintained. If you receive a low mark on anything - depending on what it is they can remove the dog from you at that time or they will give you so much time to get the dog back on working par.

The thing about working service dogs here in the states is they aren't required to be certified and this is where so much abuse and misuse comes into play. If working dogs here in the states were certified then there would be less criticism over their 'usefulness' from people who judge. Guide dogs for the blind must pass a certification, therapy dogs for hospitals and nursing homes must pass an examination to receive the vest.

Hearing service dogs ARE useful to those who do need them and use them to get through daily activities of living, but every agency has their own idea of what dog qualifies as a service dog. This is where so much confusion happens.

Sorry to have turned this post into a damned novel, but I wanted to make sure all bases were covered. I know of some places to start at for researching for a hearing dog, but this is your part where you need to take that first step and make sure you really do need a service dog.

Guess what you can bring your hearing dog to the mall! I have a hearing dog and I can take him just about every where I go! I can't bring him to a private home is the owners do not like dogs.

Why do you seem to think we don't know these things?

All anyone has to do is read the door of establishments to see service dogs permitted.

And for blind people and people in wheelchairs it makes sense.

A deaf person does not need to take a dog to the mall. :crazy:

You don't really need to act like a five year old all the time saying, "so there to you nanana".

People here share your experiences and there is no need to be so hostile to us on every topic.

Great thread gang, and thanks for that long post Dixie, gave me stuff to think about. I currently have a small mutt, not trained as a hearing dog, but he does the job really well. He lets me know if someone enters the yard or the alarm clock is going off, these sorts of things. I used to have 3 cats, and they always let me know things like this too.

I have often thought about getting a trained hearing dog after my son leaves home and the current pooch expires.

Hearing dog won't alert to the water left on.

The hearing dog could be trained to alert you running water! The dog will be able to hear the water , people can hear running water and they do not hear as good as a dog! It is amazing what a dog can be trained to do!

Why do you seem to think we don't know these things?

All anyone has to do is read the door of establishments to see service dogs permitted.

And for blind people and people in wheelchairs it makes sense.

A deaf person does not need to take a dog to the mall. :crazy:

You don't really need to act like a five year old all the time saying, "so there to you nanana".

People here share your experiences and there is no need to be so hostile to us on every topic.

Someone posted this!

{"I know some deaf people who want a deaf dog because they think they need it. Yet, they spoil their dogs and abuse the hearing dog laws ("I'm deaf and this is my hearing dog. Therefore, I can bring it with me to the mall!")"}

I was aswering that. It sound like person is saying you can't bring your hearing dog to a mall! I am not being hostile . And we do not all have the same experiences. I hope people have not had my some of experiences!

Someone posted this!

{"I know some deaf people who want a deaf dog because they think they need it. Yet, they spoil their dogs and abuse the hearing dog laws ("I'm deaf and this is my hearing dog. Therefore, I can bring it with me to the mall!")"}

I was aswering that. It sound like person is saying you can't bring your hearing dog to a mall! I am not being hostile . And we do not all have the same experiences. I hope people have not had my some of experiences!

It helps if you quote the post you are replying to. Then we understand that you are not just making this statement out of thin air.

It helps if you quote the post you are replying to. Then we understand that you are not just making this statement out of thin air.

Exactly - this is the reason for the quote feature on vBulletin.

Anyway - I still cannot justify taking a hearing service dog with me to the mall. Hearing dogs are trained primarily to work in the home - not out of the home. If there is an alarm you'll notice it because people will be moving quickly towards the exits.

Back