Considering a hearing aid...help!

kjb

Reaction score
I'm 21 and I'm completely deaf in one ear. I can tell my hearing is getting worse and hate having to make everyone repeat themselves and also, I really don't like getting behind in conversations or when more than one person is talking I have trouble keeping up. I'm thinking about getting a hearing aid but I'm not sure how to go about it. Also, I know they're really expensive. What should I do? Where should I look?

get your hearing tested by an audiologist and he/she can give you options for a hearing aid. As for costs... do you have any insurance coverage? some insurance companies will cover hearing aids (but most do not). There's also Vocational Rehabilitation... Lions Club helps too. Starkey also has a program that will help those who need hearing aids but cannot afford them otherwise (check out http://www.starkeyhearingfoundation.org/programs/). Some audiology offices will do payment plans.

Yep, see an audiologist. They should have a wealth of information on how to pay for HAs in your area. Often local charities will help people your age if you need financial assistance. Especially if you are in college or plan to go.

Not sure where you are located, but the audiologist I saw offered free consultations. It included a hearing test, going over which aids will benefit you, and going over all the cost and payment options. I didn't choose them for that, but more for the fact that they came highly recommended, but that was definitely a bonus. Most offer some sort of payment plan, especially if you don't have insurance coverage. Mine offers 12 months through their office, so no interest and no credit card involved. I have also lost the hearing in one ear, and my audiologist has ordered a phonak cros system for me. I get fitted next week! Definitely look into it!

Back