considering a cochlear implant

Mainly important to follow your heart either you really want to have CI or not.

If you really want to have CI then why not...

Best of good luck on your research on both sides...

If you can't understand what it is said to you even in quiet situations and lip reading then you will probably do better with CI than hearing aids..Go see a CI center or whatever. Good luck :)

I see that most of wheelchair users are hearing and it is easier for them to hire personal assistants because they can talk and hear. My case is different because no personal assistants would want to communicate with me because of profound deafness.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am not a wheel chair user and don't have any other disability but I often 'enjoy' the same sh*t communication difficulty as you do .. people often ignore me ,too :|

Regarding the fact that you have a second disability other than deafness , I advise you CI. it would make life much easier for you :hug:

Your chair won't interfere with your CI. I'm also an electric wheelchair user (albeit, scooter, not a powerchair), and I'm getting my CI activated in 2 weeks.

Hear Again, the way I'm thinking is that a person who has some word perception with HAs would be able to build on that foundation easier then a person who could only hear enviromental sounds or nothing at all with HAs.

I agree, but that really depends on the level of benefit a person receives from their HAs. If all CI candidates who received minimal benefit from HAs could improve on their word understanding in order to avoid going the CI route, I'm sure many of us would choose to do that -- I just don't think that's realistic. Besides, why struggle when there's the option to hear and function so much better with a CI?

I think only the professional will tell you more accurately.

Yes -- the only way to know for sure is to be evaluated at a qualified CI center. Don't see an ENT or HA audi -- many of them aren't familiar with the qualifications of CI candidacy.

Do you mean you only hear parts of words or only some words?
What's the etoilogy of your loss? Were you ever able to hear normally? Does anyone know if there's a difference in increase in word discrimination for prelingals, if they could hear some with hearing aids? I mean the CI is basicly "turning up the volumne" (not literally I know....but it does increase word perception) They are getting more openminded about implanting kids with multiple disabilites so I would go for it!

Many CI centers here in the DC area are implanting kids who have a range from mild disabilities to severe disabilities from physically to mentally already.

If u want to get a CI, go and make an appt to get evaluated and ask them all the questions u have. :)

Good luck!

I am 27-years old and I am getting my first CI done on my left ear on August 27th. My hearing loss is very similar to yours, and I was born with hearing but lost it when I was around 3-5 years old. My loss is +95db in my right and +105db in my left. I wear a digital aid in my right but nothing in my left since I was around 12. I know what you mean when you can only pick part of the words up. It is something that I have just adjusted too.

From what I hear that Medicare does pay for cochlear implants pending on the candidacy requirements. It would not hurt to go to a qualified CI center to get evaluated. HUP is one of them.

Back