Connecting with the local Deaf community

nirvanic

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I, like a few people here it seems, have been recently accepted into an ITP. There seems to be a big focus on being part / getting in touch with the local Deaf community. Back when I lived in Michigan, it was almost effortless to run into deaf/hoh people. In the two years I've lived in Iowa however, I've seen people signing MAYBE a total of two times.

Despite my googling, I can't seem to find much. I'm wondering are there any good websites out there for finding people/groups locally?

I know two deaf people in Iowa, and I'm way out here in DC, never even been to Iowa! There must be people in DM. :)

I would go to Des Moines, and inquire about the deaf community there at the state school for the deaf. They can probably put you in touch with people in your area of Iowa.

I would go to Des Moines, and inquire about the deaf community there at the state school for the deaf. They can probably put you in touch with people in your area of Iowa.

State school is at Council Bluffs not Des Moines.

The link I put above is the Deaf Action Center in Des Moines.

They do ASL classes and have practices for hearing ASL students to meet.

I guess I should have said something instead of expecting her to click on the link? :hmm:

My apologies. I am obviously not familiar with Iowa and wasn't aware that the school wasn't located in Des Moines.

does anyone know any deaf people in the des moines area who went to the bassnectar concert on the 1st he said hi and said he couldnt hear anything but the feel of the bass was amazing or something along those lines he seemed cool but my friends were leaving so i kinda walked off without sayin anythin just wanted to apologize if he though i was being a dick if anyone one knows this dude apologize for me please :)

this is my second year living in iowa (grinnell).... I heard there is a deaf community iowa city thats connected to the university. does anyone know if they meet weekly (and where)? how abt des moines other than ASL classes?

Hey! I know I've had trouble finding people like me in Des Moines as well. I've been here for about a year, although I'm from the state of Iowa. There is an Iowa Association of the Deaf http://www.iowadeaf.com/ and they seem to be pretty active. As for finding events, etc. to find other people you can sign with I'd have to say, "Good luck". But if you would like someone to talk to I know myself and a friend would always be willing to meet up for coffee. (I'm HOH and she's just very nice and quick with her signing.) I know there are random events that are posted on the Des Moines Social Calendar as well- you have to keep a lookout to spot them and they won't come up via Google. I hope this is helpful, but I'm worried that it probably isn't.

I'm really surprised people are saying they are having difficulty meeting people to sign with in Des Moines. Seems like there are always socials and Deaf activities going on.

Back