Confusion turns into violent traffic stop for deaf man

There's no need to demand for changing law or to raise hell over it. It's just very unfortunate. Yes, don't we all wish ALL officers would know what to do in ALL scenarios? It's unrealistic and impractical to expect the cops to be a mind-reader. Few years ago, I was pulled over for not fully-stopping at red blinking light but I didn't because the intersection was very EMPTY and it was late at nite... around 2am.

I got pulled over and I expected to get a ticket. Think about it - I was driving my parents' BMW and it was late at night and I didn't stop fully at red blinking light. I know he expects to encounter a snobby asshole or a DUI driver because I would do same in his position.

I had my license & papers ready and my hands on the wheel at all time. I waited for cop to come over. he shined the light all over me and I didn't like that obviously but it's expected. He saw that I'm wearing HA so he shined the light to his lips for me to lipread him. He asked if i'm deaf and I said yes. He said - oh cool. so is my step-daughter. and then he explained why he pulled me over and then we chatted for a min and then he said - drive safe. have a good night. cya

lesson of the story - do as what you should to do as a responsible driver to make officer's job easier. If the cop stepped over the line, just do your best to cooperate and do not argue. You can sue him later. Mind you - I have been pulled over dozens of times :D I have experienced quite a handful of cop personality such as pissy cops to friendly cops to "disability-friendly" cops. Be smart. do as what I suggested for you and we'll be fine. :cool2:

There's no need to demand for changing law or to raise hell over it. It's just very unfortunate. Yes, don't we all wish ALL officers would know what to do in ALL scenarios? It's unrealistic and impractical to expect the cops to be a mind-reader. Few years ago, I was pulled over for not fully-stopping at red blinking light but I didn't because the intersection was very EMPTY and it was late at nite... around 2am.

I got pulled over and I expected to get a ticket. Think about it - I was driving my parents' BMW and it was late at night and I didn't stop fully at red blinking light. I know he expects to encounter a snobby asshole or a DUI driver because I would do same in his position.

I had my license & papers ready and my hands on the wheel at all time. I waited for cop to come over. he shined the light all over me and I didn't like that obviously but it's expected. He saw that I'm wearing HA so he shined the light to his lips for me to lipread him. He asked if i'm deaf and I said yes. He said - oh cool. so is my step-daughter. and then he explained why he pulled me over and then we chatted for a min and then he said - drive safe. have a good night. cya

lesson of the story - do as what you should to do as a responsible driver to make officer's job easier. If the cop stepped over the line, just do your best to cooperate and do not argue. You can sue him later. Mind you - I have been pulled over dozens of times :D I have experienced quite a handful of cop personality such as pissy cops to friendly cops to "disability-friendly" cops. Be smart. do as what I suggested for you and we'll be fine. :cool2:
likewise. im sure all of you can do that better for your safety. officer's safety too even they are assholes. :hmm:

You had the time to get your license and papers ready before the officer came to the driver's side door? Interesting.... don't you think the officer would be alarmed that you were moving around in that vehicle? The officer might think you are trying to hide a weapon, or drugs, or your beer can or beer bottle. :lol: On the first page you said "Simple -1. do not make a sudden movement. 2. keep your hands visible and on the wheel AT ALL TIME.
3. Tell/Notify the officer FIRST if you want to reach for whatever you gotta reach for for whatever you gotta reach for". :hmm:

I think "where" does not matter. Point is - the cop THOUGHT the driver's reaching for a gun, thus took an immediate action to prevent him from doing so.

by the time the cop's sure of driver having a gun, he's already dead. Beside - it's no excuse for driver's stupidity/unawareness in this kind of situation either (deaf or not).

Simple -
1. do not make a sudden movement.
2. keep your hands visible and on the wheel AT ALL TIME.
3. Tell/Notify the officer FIRST if you want to reach for whatever you gotta reach for.

Jiro is correct. This is what we were taught at the Wisconsin School of the Deaf to do if we ever get pulled over by a cop - turn on the dome light (if it's dark out) and quickly roll down your driver window BEFORE the cop even gets out of his car, and then always keep your hands on the wheel, wait for cop to come to your window, then ASK the cop for HIS paper and pen (not YOURS as the cop will think you are reaching for a gun if you reach for YOUR paper and pen if it is in a dashboard compartment or other storage area or purse or whatever - cop will assume that you have a gun in ANY of those places), and let him hand his paper and pen to you and use it, and while you are not writing to him, keep your hands on the wheel, only take them off when you have the paper and pen in your hands. Also, an good suggestion would be to always keep a large piece of paper that says "I am deaf and cannot speak" in the - I am not sure what it is called - thing that you use to block the sun out, it folds up on the inside roof of your car - you can simply unfold the "sun-fold" down showing the paper and unroll your window BEFORE the cop even gets out of his car, then put your hands on the wheel, and then when the cop gets to your window, slowly point to that piece of paper so he can read it. The cop will then understand why you need HIS paper and pen to communicate, while at the same time allowing the cop to see where your hands are. Also, if the cop asks for your license and insurance paper, TELL the cop WHERE the license is and WHERE the insurance papers are, and ask him if you can get the license and the insurance paper out of your purse/wallet and out of the dashboard compartment BEFORE you do it, so he will know where you are getting those things out and that you are NOT reaching for a gun.

You had the time to get your license and papers ready before the officer came to the driver's side door?
yes of course. the cop does not immediately step out of vehicle after pulling you over. He waits for about a minute because he has to run the plate check to see if there's any hit. Plenty of time for me to have documents ready :)

Interesting.... don't you think the officer would be alarmed that you were moving around in that vehicle? The officer might think you are trying to hide a weapon, or drugs, or your beer can or beer bottle. :lol: On the first page you said "Simple -1. do not make a sudden movement. 2. keep your hands visible and on the wheel AT ALL TIME.
3. Tell/Notify the officer FIRST if you want to reach for whatever you gotta reach for for whatever you gotta reach for". :hmm:
yes you are correct. that's why you should use your wise judgment. If your papers are in glove compartment or backseat or somewhere hard to reach, do not move and wait for officer to give you an instruction. Better yet! turn on your dome light! If it's in your jacket or pocket, take it out if you can. It doesn't take much movement and time to do it. My documents and license are in a very-easy-to-reach location so this is not a problem for me.

beside... the cop cannot see you when he's in the car so you can take your document out if it's on you. but the cop can see you reaching to other side (for ie. reaching for document in glove compartment) so you better not do it. That's why cops have TONS OF SPOTLIGHTS shining on you. They can see everything (except when you're sitting still)

beside... the cop cannot see you when he's in the car so you can take your document out if it's on you. but the cop can see you reaching to other side (for ie. reaching for document in glove compartment) so you better not do it. That's why cops have TONS OF SPOTLIGHTS shining on you. They can see everything (except when you're sitting still)

Yes during the night time the cop can see you when he shed a light onto your car. I've been there, It's so damn bright. :lol:

There's lacks of detail in source about situation with deaf driver.

This police should know better about what happen to deaf drivers and their behavior is aggressive.

Fort Worth isn't alone when come with this issue and it has happened in other cities.

I think all cops should learn sign language. :roll:

Not really, they need know about react with deaf people and should provide an communication, such as paper and pen.

Back