Confused...

Okay...I know someone will probably get offended by this post. For that I am sorry but...I am confused. I've been reading posts on AllDeaf for a few weeks and I find that a lot of them are very difficult to read/understand. Like their are words missing, or incorrectly conjugated (past, present, future)

Does anyone else have this problem?

:confused:

Why be offended? My good friend had really no language until learning ASL at 14, so he's a little hard to understand if you don't think about it a little.

I think you said Connor has no language as you did auditory/oral and no ASL for six years?

In a few years, people may be saying these things to your little boy...

Or maybe he will be lucky.

Wow, I me think you is so audist...dont ask word meanin. :mad2:

I know what the word means and I also know what Oralism means. Nevertheless, I also know that the natural world is verbal. Not just mankind but also all creatures that move about. Not only is hearing necessary for survival but being verbal is too.

Remember, I'm deaf-from-birth but use ASL also.

I would use ASL or English form when talking about deaf ferrets learning ASL and being exposed to Deaf World.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

For some reason I never thought of ASL in terms of how it would effect written language. I speak 2 languages (English & Spanish) fortunately both are latin based so they follow similar rules of grammer.

But why should you "just know"? :aw: If you don't know ASL it's not like you're going to automatically know that the grammar is completely different and that ASL is really a completely different language. Why should you know that? It's an honest mistake if you don't know anything about ASL.

When I first came here I was in the process of getting new hearing aids and I wanted answers from people with experience, not someone trying to see me something. So I had mostly been in the hearing aid CI section. Most of the posters there are pre-lingual or obviously, use hearing aids and so ASL isn't their first languagel you don't run into this as much. In fact within days of me joining I put my foot in my mouth. Another poster seemed to be misunderstanding, or reading way more into what I said, going by their posts I figured they were from another country and thought maybe there was language barriers at work. I even put my foot in my mouth and said so to the poster. But then I ventured out of that sub forum and noticed it more and more and also that some of them were from the US. Around this same time another poster, a helpful one, explained about the ASL.....and then I was okay!! gotcha, that makes much more sense now. So don't feel bad ;)

But why should you "just know"? :aw: If you don't know ASL it's not like you're going to automatically know that the grammar is completely different and that ASL is really a completely different language. Why should you know that? It's an honest mistake if you don't know anything about ASL.

When I first came here I was in the process of getting new hearing aids and I wanted answers from people with experience, not someone trying to see me something. So I had mostly been in the hearing aid CI section. Most of the posters there are pre-lingual or obviously, use hearing aids and so ASL isn't their first languagel you don't run into this as much. In fact within days of me joining I put my foot in my mouth. Another poster seemed to be misunderstanding, or reading way more into what I said, going by their posts I figured they were from another country and thought maybe there was language barriers at work. I even put my foot in my mouth and said so to the poster. But then I ventured out of that sub forum and noticed it more and more and also that some of them were from the US. Around this same time another poster, a helpful one, explained about the ASL.....and then I was okay!! gotcha, that makes much more sense now. So don't feel bad ;)
What do you mean at first?? Just the other day you decided to pitch a fit about the English skills , comprehension and intelligence of an ASL poster who's feelings offended you....

Its like this.....

I forgot about yesterday. In proper grammar

Yesterday, Forgot. In ASL

So yes, ASL is a language all in itself... there is alot left out and yes, because I was a hearing person it is different and sometimes hard for me to understand... In retrospective, its like how the old western movies were when an Indian spoke to a Cowboy, ..... White man hungry, We eat now.

wait till you meet a hearing Russian person. and then ask him/her to write something in English.

and many hearing people still have trouble with there-their-they're and your-you're. it boggles me.

Dont forget To, Too and Two equals 6

What do you mean at first?? Just the other day you decided to pitch a fit about the English skills , comprehension and intelligence of an ASL poster who's feelings offended you....

I see you're the super hero again and got your granny panties on the outside of your pants, you coming to the save the day? yeah I get snarky when people push me. I came back to edit this out, retract my claws a little, but woman you piss me off, so it's staying.

I didn't pitch a fit and her feelings did not offend me, although the constant fall back on "oh you just don't accept you deafness" is lame and fairly offensive. More than once there was obvious reading comprehension problems, or maybe she just plain old didn't read the articles (and I'm talking about two posts in two different threads). What that has to do with not writing proper English I have no idea so I don't see your point. I never said anything about her intelligence, the closet I came to that was saying her argument wasn't logical, that is not calling her stupid or something. I also didn't saying anything about her English skills. At. All.

Oh but saying kids with CI's look like robots or frankenstein, yeah that was pretty offensive.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that when certain posters come to thread we're not supposed to respond to them. I wasn't aware I was supposed to get out my kid gloves and give them special treatment.

Last edited:
I see you're the super hero again and got your granny panties on the outside of your pants, you coming to the save the day? yeah I get snarky when people push me. I came back to edit this out, retract my claws a little, but woman you piss me off, so it's staying.

Why do super heros wear their underwear on the outside anyways?

but woman you piss me off.

Better pissed off than pissed on... just saying...:laugh2:
Hurrrr.jpg

82418_M.jpg

But I got a feeling.....
cute-puppy-pictures-not-ovr.jpg

hahaha I'm done, doesn't matter what she says I'm not resonding. I've been ignoring her the last couple days, couldn't let that shit shit slide though. Pitching a fit my ass, by making sound arguments in a discussion? By having an opinion? pfffft. I said my peace I'm good.

Question of the ages right there. Who decided that? Did they think it made them bold and fearless?

I think it made people fear them because they wore women's underwear? Leotards, Panties, Stockings and body suits.... Me, I feel tougher in Blue jeans and boots....lmao

It's not just an ASL thing. Oral kids very often have expressive written issues too!!!.
It can be .....hard to understand intitially. But, again we tend to approach English as a second language.....and I do have to say that the English here is pretty good. Yes, it's not the Queen's English, but,if you look at stuff written by speakers of other languages, it's really not that bad. Heck, I know HEARING English speakers who can't even write coherently.

It's not just an ASL thing. Oral kids very often have expressive written issues too!!!.
It can be .....hard to understand intitially. But, again we tend to approach English as a second language.....and I do have to say that the English here is pretty good. Yes, it's not the Queen's English, but,if you look at stuff written by speakers of other languages, it's really not that bad. Heck, I know HEARING English speakers who can't even write coherently.

You're right, some are better than others, but most it's not hard at all. Most of the time it just seem to be less wordy. I know I need to proofread!! My brain goes faster than my fingers.

Well truth is....
English is one of the hardest language to learn, reason being is one english word can have many different meanings and thats fact.

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Yes, and I've given up trying to understand. It's ASL grammar used with English - it mixes about as much as Arabic and Spanish, so I just don't bother with the posts I can't make sense of.

Laura

That's sad because the posters are making an attempt to communicate with all of you and instead they get a rejection because they aren't fluent in English. At least they tried so that says a lot about them. Just saying.

Good post Shel.

Wirelessly posted

Dare mess with the Wizard of AllDeaf and you will get on the wrong side of many long-time members here. Bottesini is highly respected for sticking up for those who need it, especially against the 'grammar nazis'.

Back