Concerned about hearing difficulties

Symbol

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and just looking for a little information. I'm hoping for something to assuage my worries.

I have always had trouble hearing people when they talk to me. It has become a habit now to ask the person to repeat what they are saying, because I am so used to missing it the first time 'round. I get embarrassed because I have to ask them to repeat themselves so many times. (Frequently 3 or 4!) People get frustrated when talking to me. They think that I must be doing it on purpose or not paying attention! Quite often I'll catch a few words and just make an educated guess to try to fill in what I missed. It gets a little awkward when I guess the question wrong though and reply with something that doesn't make any sense in the context of the conversation.

I'm just not sure where to go from here. I seem to be able to hear okay. I can listen to music, hear noises and sound effects, no problem. I just can't seem to decipher spoken words! Is there some problem with the wiring in my brain?!

I came here because it seemed like a very friendly, open, and active forum. I'm hoping that one of the members here will be able to tell me what the heck is going on! Any insight or additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
- Symbol

See an audiologist and get your hearing tested. If that shows no problems, then the audi can refer you to a neurologist.

Symbol,,, I can relate totally to what you are going through as my hearing loss slowly declined at about age 28 and now I am 43. I have sensorinueral hearing loss, whereas it is damaged nerves and I cannot understand people's word's too clearly. I used to be really out going,,then I became more quiet and did not engage in a lot of group conversations anymore. I ended up getting a VCO phone (as I can not understand phone conversations) then later Captel phone. I now have a VP because last year I emerged into the Deaf community and am learning ASL. There are support groups to assist you in the life transition you are going through and perhaps you can also attend Deaf events and learn ASL.
You will need to go to audiologist to find out the specific type hearing loss and degree of loss you have, but I recommend you look for the support groups out there. You will learn from others (hearing loss) that you will need to stand up to people in a nice manner by coaching people how to speak to you correctly. Many people do not know how to communicate with people with hearing loss, so you tell or show them. (ex. Tell them you are hard of hearing and you need to face me when you speak, speak slower but not too slow, please speak in a clear voice and a little louder).
Learn more about yourself with your hearing loss and some positive coping skills and you will be happier and do just fine.

it could be an auditory processing disorder, look it up on google

it could be an auditory processing disorder, look it up on google

That the op might have that was my first thought upon reading the op's post.

I think it has also occurred to Jillio hence her recommendation to see an audiologist first and then if there's nothing wrong with the hearing, refer the op to a neurologist.

That the op might have that was my first thought upon reading the op's post.

I think it has also occurred to Jillio hence her recommendation to see an audiologist first and then if there's nothing wrong with the hearing, refer the op to a neurologist.

You thought right!

Back