Commentary: Let Michael Vick play football

sara1981

Reaction score
Commentary: Let Michael Vick play football
Commentary: Let Michael Vick play football - CNN.com

Editor's note: A nationally syndicated columnist, Roland S. Martin is the author of "Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith" and "Speak, Brother! A Black Man's View of America." Visit his Web site for more information. He is host of "No Bias, No Bull" at 8 p.m. ET on CNN while Campbell Brown is on maternity leave.

When Michael Vick completes home confinement in July, he will have served the 23-month prison sentence imposed after he pleaded guilty to federal dogfighting charges.

After his release from a Kansas prison Wednesday, he headed to his home in Virginia to serve the final two months under home confinement, because all the beds at halfway houses in the area are taken.

But that hasn't deterred the Vick haters who are still in an uproar over the heinous details of his dogfighting kennel. Yes, reading the details of the treatment of the dogs, including the killing of some of them, could make anyone sick. Yet what's the point of sentencing someone to jail, then having them serve their time and be released if we still want to imprison them for the rest of their lives?

Frankly, I'm sick of Americans who talk all day about "do the crime, then do the time," then still want to treat a man like a criminal when he gets out of prison.

This doesn't just apply to Michael Vick. Look at all the individuals who are sent to prison, get out and then can't find a job. Why? Because they have the Scarlet Letter on their record, which is a big fat "F" for felon. Don't think I'm looking for any sympathy for someone who goes to jail. I firmly believe that you deserve all that you get for breaking the law. But listening to some of these zealots go on and on and on about Vick needing to continue to be punished is ridiculous!

The judge in Vick's case has imposed a number of restrictions. One of them is that he can't ever own a dog again. OK, gotcha. But to say the man shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL is D-U-M-B. The crimes of which he was convicted had nothing to do with playing sports.

Remember Wall Street star Michael Milken? When he was sent to jail for securities fraud, he was banned from working on Wall Street again. I get that. He was an insider and allowing him back into the financial game would have been atrocious.

I get it when someone is convicted of molesting children that they can't live within a certain distance of a school or be left alone around children when released. But there is nothing related to Vick's crime that says he should not be allowed to play professional football.

What is particularly galling is that, right now, you have any number of football players who have beaten people -- including their wives and girlfriends -- served time for drunk driving or committed other crimes, yet they have resumed their careers. The same goes for teachers, radio and television broadcasters, politicians and others.

So is this any different because it involved dogs? Are we to say that the horrible treatment of dogs is vastly different than mistreatment of human beings? The critics will likely say, "These men are role models. Kids look up to them. They should have no business on the field." Yet some of these same kids are living with fathers and mothers who are felons. So are we supposed to remove them from the home as well?

Enough with the public bullying. Vick was sentenced and served his time. And now he's gotten out. If you want to be angry with him, fine. But please, cut the sanctimonious crap. He deserves to make amends and get on with his life. If you were in his shoes, you would want to do the same.

NFL wanted Michael Vick play in NFL. And NFL have policy because football players have suspended for reasons and jail but NFL should banned Michael Vick for their action on abuse pets!!

what your opinion?

Mr. Vick is out of prison now and on home confinement. The Falcons owner said...."he is not playing for the Falcons!"

I know one thing for sure, he's not playing with the Jaguars either! We don't want him in Jacksonville, so maybe he'll stay in Virginia.

Vick did say he wanted to work with the Humane Society! Maybe they will put him into a cage with several pit bulls, and let the pit bills take a vote on it. So, you've already got my opinion on Mr. Vick. It's about never to change either.

I seriously doubt Mr Vick will be able to play in the NFL again... but if he does show that he is indeed sorry for what he has caused with the crimes involving dogs and more.. I dont know if it would be entirely possible for him to get back into football with another NFL club and I do know here in Canada, the Canadian Football League might not be happy to see Vick go up north to try to join a CFL team to get some playing time.. I hope that wont even happen here in the CFL or there bound to be some pissed off CFL fans, including me....so it would be best if Vick simply retire from football and work somewhere else.....

Someone told me, the Patriots want him:hmm:

NFL have policy for players they cant returns peroids but i tried to find research of NFL websites policy.

mostly NFL football players know policy on dues contract if players have troubles and also owners of stadium can let Michael Vicks plays or not..You will find out.

football players who in jail for one years they cant returns to plays dues respectives of NFL policy.

I think Vick will never play at the NFL level ever again. He might get to play for some semi-pro arena leagues but that's going to be the highest he'll ever go.

Look at Jose Castenos who turned baseball upside down. He's playing for a small town fast-pitch softball team because its the closest he'll ever come playing real baseball ever again.

On Vick - he might find himself in the same situation. He'll have to work a regular 9-5 manual labor job to pay his bills but football will just have to be for recreation. His skills have likely deteriorated to the point that he's got the skill set of a 7th grade football player with the mass of a college football player with some natural athletic ability thrown in.

The only way he can redeem himself with the animal community is to write an honest book about how a dog fighting ring really operates. The cruelty towards the dogs and other animals involved, and what it will take to fully eradicate dogfighting without banning specific breeds. But everyone knows that once something is outlawed, it just goes underground and its black market value skyrockets.

:wave: Roland S Martin is a joke, he belongs on the Comedy channel, not CNN. :laugh2: It could be called: Roland Martin's Laugh-In! Goldie Hawn, Ruth Buzzi, Wanda Zikes, Jo Ann Worley, Joan Rivers and others could all be in the cast. :giggle:

One example, Roland wrote: "... But to say the man shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL is D-U-M-B. ..." Not D-U-M-B, I say, W-I-S-E! Why, Vick has to earn respect and Vick has to earn trust, including the PAYING publics!

"Say Good Night Vick!" :laugh2: "Good night Roland."

NFL have policy for players they cant returns peroids but i tried to find research of NFL websites policy.

mostly NFL football players know policy on dues contract if players have troubles and also owners of stadium can let Michael Vicks plays or not..You will find out.

football players who in jail for one years they cant returns to plays dues respectives of NFL policy.

What's wrong with you? Your post don't make any sense. :roll:

For me, who cares? I'm really don't care if Vick would able to play in NFL again.

Vick is just need follow the law as he can.

Back