Comedy Club refused provide interpreter

Christer

Reaction score
INDIANAPOLIS -- A Hamilton County man who is hearing-impaired claims he was mistreated by the owner of an Indianapolis comedy club after the business refused his request for an interpreter. David Showers said he bought a ticket to see comedian Joe Rogan at Morty's Comedy Joint off 96th Street in September and asked club owner Chris Bowers if he would provide an interpreter, 6News' Renee Jameson reported. Showers said Bowers told him that the club would not provide an interpreter, and that if he wanted to bring his own, the person would have to buy a ticket as well. When Showers questioned the refusal, he said Bowers told him never to come back to Morty's. "I e-mailed him and told him, 'I don't appreciate you for mistreating me,'" Showers said. The Disability and Business Technical Assistance Center in Chicago told 6News in terms of providing an auxiliary aid or service, businesses should look at overall resources and their ability to pay, as well as whether the small business tax credit available under the ADA would allow the business to provide the service. "The issue is whether or not the business has explored whether or not they could provide it," said Peter Berg, project coordinator for technical assistance and employer outreach at the Great Lakes ADA Center. Bowers told 6News that they are a very small business with only 14 employees and cannot afford an interpreter. "The cost of having an interpreter is just not something we can do right now," he said. He also said that his comment about Showers not returning had more to do with Showers, who he said wants to be a comedian, and his attempts to get on stage. "I think part of this is he kept e-mailing me about stage time and, finally, I was like look, 'I don't think you're going to get stage time here. I don't think you're good enough. I don't think the crowd liked it,'" Bowers said. Showers said he asked for a refund over e-mail, but when he did not hear back from the club, he sold his tickets. Bowers said he did not get the e-mail asking for a refund until the day after the show.
Both sides have retained attorneys in the case.

Hearing-Impaired Man Claims Mistreatment By Comedy Club - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

I know Dave Showers. He is still my good friend we grew up at Indiana Deaf School and same classes. We graduated in 2003. He agressives and sue to that stupid Morty's Comedy Club, I support him! DEAF POWER!!!

Have you had someone translate for you into asl or vice versa an evening at a comedy club? Somehow I don't think you have, because I have and believe it or not, we deaf people are smart enough to "get it" to the point we can laugh at the jokes being said, and its not feigned laughter, either.

That being said I don't have any other comment on this story other than that I wasn't there to see how this all took place.

Have you had someone translate for you into asl or vice versa an evening at a comedy club? Somehow I don't think you have, because I have and believe it or not, we deaf people are smart enough to "get it" to the point we can laugh at the jokes being said, and its not feigned laughter, either.

That being said I don't have any other comment on this story other than that I wasn't there to see how this all took place.

Not that, it's the nuances that are not properly translated to Deaf people.

It'd be interesting to see if somebody can try and interpret Robin William's comedy routine live on stage. Or maybe Steve Wright's. Not only are nuances may not be properly translated but could get lost or missed as well. Comedic effect includes changes in voices, body language, play of words, special voice effects, etc...

It'd be interesting to see if somebody can try and interpret Robin William's comedy routine live on stage. Or maybe Steve Wright's. Not only are nuances may not be properly translated but could get lost or missed as well. Comedic effect includes changes in voices, body language, play of words, special voice effects, etc...

Yes, we deaf people can understand that. That's what good interpreters do.

Eh. So the interpreters don't convey well enough for us. Nice job insulting them as well as us deaf people understanding it. Nevermind, I understand you perfectly, kokonut.

Off topic....but for some ODD reason, I cannot read anyone's responses to this thread!...It's completely empty!...What's the deal here? A few other threads also, nothing there!....

Eh. So the interpreters don't convey well enough for us. Nice job insulting them as well as us deaf people understanding it. Nevermind, I understand you perfectly, kokonut.

It's a fact that there are shitty interpreters and good ones. Don't tell me every interpreters are perfect. No such thing.

Off topic....but for some ODD reason, I cannot read anyone's responses to this thread!...It's completely empty!...What's the deal here? A few other threads also, nothing there!....

I can see you. I can see the thread, the posts....:wave:

I absolutely love Robin Williams....

I absolutely love Robin Williams....

As do I. Several months ago I was to see a performance by him at the Fox Theater in St. Louis, but it got cancelled because of illness. It would have been interpreted and I am sure it would have been a hilarious show. Rats.

Small company, 14 employees...That's understandable to me.
But as for the ticket, I feel he should have been reimbursed, but he sold it before he could have.
I love comedy and there are some jokes that I don't undy/"get it". But then again, there are hearies that don't undy ASL jokes as well. Comedy moves pretty fast, you either get it or don't...comedians aren't expected to take time out to "explain" the joke.
BTW, I also love Tom Neville...he's hilarious!

Back