College

litepack

Reaction score
Oh how i would LOVE to go to school. I am a self taught graphic artist / webmaster / search engine placement / general computer nerd.

I would LOVE to go to school and learn something as i feel like i have learned about all i can from books. So, here is the deal. I SUCK in school. It has always been a hassle for the teacher when i am in a class (saying huh all the time and al that). So, having said that.. are there any schools you would suggest for a 30 something year old guy to go and learn a bit?

Anyone have any suggestions for a VR contact in Huntsville that might provide some insight into the Huntsville area education system?

Have you checked into college internet classes? At the college where I interpret many courses are offered on-line, especially courses in web design, digital photography, graphic design, etc.

Reba said:
Have you checked into college internet classes? At the college where I interpret many courses are offered on-line, especially courses in web design, digital photography, graphic design, etc.

Well, i would rather some real life classroom learning. I have seen a few online but am unsure how much more i would learn as that is pretty much the way i have been learning..

What is your main mode of communication? Do you read lips? Can you amplify your hearing with an FM system?

My main mode is reading lips and hearing.. I have a hearing loss in the high pitched area.. For example.. no crickets, small kids, girls with high voices, whispering, birds, or similar sounds.

I have hearing aids and have waited tables with them on before and done quite well. I just dont like the ear infections that come with wearing them. I get perpetual swimmers ear which i am told is quite common.

I can read lips but not to an expert degree. Just enough to tell if a lady is looking at me from across the room and saying "i wish he would come over here".. :)

Everyone who has given me a hearing test says I speak very well for my loss but most do pick up on the fact that I have a “strange accent” as I am told from speaking the way I hear.

Have you tried an FM system with external headphones? At the college where I work, some HOH students prefer the FM system more than their own HA. The instructor wears the lapel microphone, so most of the amplified sound is the instructor's voice, without all the background noise. The student wears an external headset, so other sounds are blocked out, and the student can concentrate on the instructor's voice. The school provides the equipment at no cost to the student (it is a loan).

Since the headphones are external, maybe that would solve your problem with infections.

Have you checked in with the college's "disability counsellor"? (Different schools use different titles for that office and counsellor, so I am using the general term.)

Have you ever used an oral speech facilitator? If so, did it help your understanding?

Back