college/universities best for deaf people

Exactly. All students are required to take an assessment. If you, for instance, place in a rememdial level for math, and have already taken college algebra at another school, it is obvious that you did not get the required skills to actually do college algebra, and will therefore have to go back and pick up a rememdial course. That is, if you are not a degreed transfer student. But then, a student with a degree is not really considered to be a transfer student in the strictest sense, but a new student.

Placing into a remedial math does not mean he doesn't know the subject. He could just be a bad test taker, had lots of test anxiety, or did not receive accommodations for a disability.

Regardless, no one should be faulted for that. if someone has already taken math then they should not have to take it again. What are college credits good for if you cannot use them?

Placing into a remedial math does not mean he doesn't know the subject. He could just be a bad test taker, had lots of test anxiety, or did not receive accommodations for a disability.

Regardless, no one should be faulted for that. if someone has already taken math then they should not have to take it again. What are college credits good for if you cannot use them?

That's the risk you take when transferrring. While all of these things could come into play, it still doesn't mean that the school you are transferrring from uses the same curriculm as the school you are transferring from. A Math 101 course at one school does not necessarily cover the same material as Math 101 at another school. The curriculum is what is important, not the label applied to the course. You have to be able to show proficiency in the material.

It isn't so much a matter of a transfer student being "cheated" out of credits, but that those courses that aren't allowed for transfer did not cover the same curriculum as the ones at the school to wich the student is transferring. Therefore, they are not prepared to enter in to the upper level courses for which the lower level courses were supposed to prepare them.
Yep, some schools do things differently than other schools.

Classes that are easily transferred are classes related to subjects that don't change frequently... usually liberal arts and math.

Today, the phrase "I am going to see a movie." is as grammatically correct as it was 5 years ago. Today, the book called "Animal Farm" is the same as the book we read 5 years ago. Today, 2 plus 2 equals 4. It will always be 4... if it was calculated 5 years ago and if it was calculated 5 years in the future. It doesn't change. So, the concept is the same and are similar between colleges and universities.

However, other subjects such as computers and engineering. Those are constantly changing every year and colleges have their own way of specializing in computers and engineering. So, their curriculum are different. Today, we work on Photoshop CS 2008. 5 years ago, it was Photoshop CS 2003.

That's why when planning to transfer to another college (usually from a community college to a university), it's best to focus on basic liberal arts and math courses. Those classes can easily be transfered. I've known some people who have a history of transferring from college to college too frequently that they lose a lot of credits during these transfers and end up taking longer just to get their desire degrees. :(

Yep, some schools do things differently than other schools.

Classes that are easily transferred are classes related to subjects that don't change frequently... usually liberal arts and math.

Today, the phrase "I am going to see a movie." is as grammatically correct as it was 5 years ago. Today, the book called "Animal Farm" is the same as the book we read 5 years ago. Today, 2 plus 2 equals 4. It will always be 4... if it was calculated 5 years ago and if it was calculated 5 years in the future. It doesn't change. So, the concept is the same and are similar between colleges and universities.

However, other subjects such as computers and engineering. Those are constantly changing every year and colleges have their own way of specializing in computers and engineering. So, their curriculum are different. Today, we work on Photoshop CS 2008. 5 years ago, it was Photoshop CS 2003.

That's why when planning to transfer to another college (usually from a community college to a university), it's best to focus on basic liberal arts and math courses. Those classes can easily be transfered. I've known some people who have a history of transferring from college to college too frequently that they lose a lot of credits during these transfers and end up taking longer just to get their desire degrees. :(

When you get down into the guts of a computer there is no differences.

Computers today and computers from 10 years ago, the only difference between them is speed and storage capabilities.

That's the scam computer manufactures play on us. We think we're getting new technology and yet, all the technology we use is the same ole technology we've been using for years.

Computers today and computers from 10 years ago, the only difference between them is speed and storage capabilities.

That's the scam computer manufactures play on us. We think we're getting new technology and yet, all the technology we use is the same ole technology we've been using for years.

Ah, yes, but we are using it in different ways, and there's the rub.

Agreed, but tuition costs are but one part of the cost of attending post-secondary education. That is like saying rent is the only living expense for those not attending college. You must also add the other expenses that are necessary to a student, such as housing, meals, books, supplies, transportation, etc. to get a realistic estimate of what it costs to attend college.

Living on campus is cheap; rent is always cheaper and there are no travel expenses living on campus. Books are included in financial aid and loans. I buy my books online at half, amazon, google shopping, etc.. way cheaper. I got an 80 dollar book one time for 10 bucks on half. Eating, well .. yeah, thats on you. Deaf events btw are a great place to get a free meal. I knew a deaf guy once that never bought food he just went from event to event. lol

You're right, the root of all computer knowledge is the same... but that is not what the classes are for. The classes are for software and understanding.

I took a class at RIT called "Computer Concepts & Software Systems". This was basically a class where we learn about numbers (binary, decimal, hex, etc), software installation, and computer building. That's something that's long-lasting, so it's a class that's easy to transfer. The same goes for UNIX. Those are pretty much the same unless the class also includes external softwares that is included with UNIX classes.

Living on campus is cheap; rent is always cheaper and there are no travel expenses living on campus. Books are included in financial aid and loans. I buy my books online at half, amazon, google shopping, etc.. way cheaper. I got an 80 dollar book one time for 10 bucks on half. Eating, well .. yeah, thats on you. Deaf events btw are a great place to get a free meal. I knew a deaf guy once that never bought food he just went from event to event. lol

If one is living away from home, and dorms are shut down during breaks, one has travel expenses to contend with when one needs to return home. Likewise, many degrees require completion of practicums and internships that are completed off campus. One must travel to these locations. Loans must be paid back, with interest, so even with financial aid and loans covering the estimated costs of books, you are racking up interest on loans that evenutally must be paid back. One must have clothing in order to attend classes. What about the cost of printing documents? What about the costs of other supplies and class fees? The fact of the matter is, post-secondary education is expensive. There are ways to do it cheaper than others, but it is still an expensive proposition, no matter how you look at it.

Exactly. The application is different.

Actually their not! Windows 95 was based on windows 3.1 code and xp was all based on 98 which was based on 95. Underneath its all the same code just a new shell. Microsoft is well known for rehashing code!!!!!!!!!

Even after code is compiled it all becomes binary. Binary goes back to almost the start of computers. Its all 1s and 0s. The only difference between one set of code and another after its compiled is the way the 1s and 0s are arranged. I know binary I learned it in those computer classes i took, the same classes you all said were worthless.

If one is living away from home, and dorms are shut down during breaks, one has travel expenses to contend with when one needs to return home. Likewise, many degrees require completion of practicums and internships that are completed off campus. One must travel to these locations. Loans must be paid back, with interest, so even with financial aid and loans covering the estimated costs of books, you are racking up interest on loans that evenutally must be paid back. One must have clothing in order to attend classes. What about the cost of printing documents? What about the costs of other supplies and class fees? The fact of the matter is, post-secondary education is expensive. There are ways to do it cheaper than others, but it is still an expensive proposition, no matter how you look at it.

The tuition fees I gave were all cheap and that is what we were originally talking about. You originally said "program" not the cost of going to college.

You're right, the root of all computer knowledge is the same... but that is not what the classes are for. The classes are for software and understanding.

I took a class at RIT called "Computer Concepts & Software Systems". This was basically a class where we learn about numbers (binary, decimal, hex, etc), software installation, and computer building. That's something that's long-lasting, so it's a class that's easy to transfer. The same goes for UNIX. Those are pretty much the same unless the class also includes external softwares that is included with UNIX classes.

I can't speak for rit's computer classes, but there are classes at many colleges that cover every aspect of computers. There are classes specifically for learning office, ones for visual design, and some for programing. Its not all just sit in the class and learn binary. Anyways, learning binary is still very usefull because all code gets compiled down into a machine which is binary.

The tuition fees I gave were all cheap and that is what we were originally talking about. You originally said "program" not the cost of going to college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin
You are right, not anymore. Its expensive too!

All post secondary education is expensive.

The bolded is the statements that started the discussion about costs. I said post-secondary education. Tuition is but a part of the total cost of post-secondary education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin
You are right, not anymore. Its expensive too!

All post secondary education is expensive.

The bolded is the statements that started the discussion about costs. I said post-secondary education. Tuition is but a part of the total cost of post-secondary education.

Let's clear up the confusion.

1. I did not say all colleges are expensive nor did i say anything about the cost of going to college. What I said about galludet being expensive was in reference to the tuition rates. I thought that was clear though as I said, "Its expensive".

2. The cost of food, housing, clothes, etc.. are a separate costs. Saying those are a part of educational expenses is misleading. Those are not specific to education they are living expenses. You'll have to pay for those things regardless of whether you are going to college or not.

Let's clear up the confusion.

1. I did not say all colleges are expensive nor did i say anything about the cost of going to college. What I said about galludet being expensive was in reference to the tutition rates. I thought that was clear though as I said, "galludet is expensive"

2. The cost of food, housing, clothes, etc.. are a separate costs. Saying those are a part of educational expenses is misleading. Those are not specific to education they are specific to survival or living.

No, jasin, you did not say all colleges are expensive. I said all post secondary education is expensive in relpy to your post about Gally. You later replied in the thread that was not true.

The costs you have listed are indeed costs of post-secondary education, and are all costs that financial aid, through your FAFSA application, use to determine the amount of financial aid that you will be eligble for for any particular school. That is why you are required to provide information regarding your housing choices, etc. Likewise, every school has an estimated cost of attendance, and these costs are autopmatically calculated into the cost of attendance. That is why the amount of aid you are able to receive is dependent upon the school you plan to attend, among other things. If these costs were not part of the educational experience, they would not be figured into the cost of attendance. Likewise, if finanacial aid was not meant to cover these costs as well, you would be eligible for tuition amount only, and no one would ever receive an overage check to assist with the cost of these other expenses.

And the fact of the matter is, you cannot attend school without having a place to live, clothes to wear, and food to eat, not to mention books and supplies for your classes.

You need to check the school's estimated cost of attendance, and not just the tuition rates, to get a realistic idea of what it costs to attend college.

No, jasin, you did not say all colleges are expensive. I said all post secondary education is expensive in relpy to your post about Gally. You later replied in the thread that was not true.

The costs you have listed are indeed costs of post-secondary education, and are all costs that financial aid, through your FAFSA application, use to determine the amount of financial aid that you will be eligble for for any particular school. That is why you are required to provide information regarding your housing choices, etc. Likewise, every school has an estimated cost of attendance, and these costs are autopmatically calculated into the cost of attendance. That is why the amount of aid you are able to receive is dependent upon the school you plan to attend, among other things. If these costs were not part of the educational experience, they would not be figured into the cost of attendance. Likewise, if finanacial aid was not meant to cover these costs as well, you would be eligible for tuition amount only, and no one would ever receive an overage check to assist with the cost of these other expenses.

And the fact of the matter is, you cannot attend school without having a place to live, clothes to wear, and food to eat, not to mention books and supplies for your classes.

You need to check the school's estimated cost of attendance, and not just the tuition rates, to get a realistic idea of what it costs to attend college.

Which I cannot understand why. I was talking about gallaudet, which someone else on here brought up. I believe that's what this thread is about anyways, deaf colleges.

Right, but you made those out to be college expenses and their not. Those are expenses you'll have regardless of whether you are in college or not.

Which I cannot understand why. I was talking about gallaudet, which someone else on here brought up. I believe that's what this thread is about anyways, deaf colleges.

Right, but you made those out to be college expenses and their not. Those are expenses you'll have regardless of whether you are in college or not.

But they are still figured into the total estimated cost of attendance. If your parents are paying for your education, they have to figure these costs in to know how much it will cost them to send you to school. If you are paying for school yourself you have to figure these costs in to know how much money you will need to attend school. To leave them out will put you in a serious financial bind.

Back