College teacher dilemma

Just like hearing people who made decisions for the deaf population. Oral only education, for example. :roll:

J' - Is it possible for you to change teachers?

It might be too late. We're already into our 6 or 7th week of the fall semester. We are almost halfway done. A 8 week session started last week of September, and unfortunately, I could get a lot behind the class if I moved to a 8 week class.

There could be a chance that she would be let go. The dean has passed on the information to the Vice President of my college. It must look serious enough to warn the higher level of authority. I am eager to know what the VP got to think and say about this. This behavior from my teacher is not acceptable at all.

We did what we could to protect the other students and change the paths from this point on. I don't know why none of this terrible situation has been addressing until now. Maybe she did not snap till we politely asked her to address our needs? Honestly, I don't have any ideas why she would snap at us like that. I like to compare her to a dormant volcano ready to erupt any time.

I admire you for taking action. It takes one courageous person to step up and refuse to allow a situation like this to continue, and it looks like you were that courageous person. To put it simply, her behavior continued because it was allowed tocontinue. If it has reached the VP of the college, they are probably doing a lot of back pedaling because they fear that not taking action after you have vioced your objections could easily end in a lawsuit. Good for you. It may seem a small vicoty, but it is a victory all the same!:applause: Keep up the good work, and give yourself a pat ont he back!

I admire you for taking action. It takes one courageous person to step up and refuse to allow a situation like this to continue, and it looks like you were that courageous person. To put it simply, her behavior continued because it was allowed tocontinue. If it has reached the VP of the college, they are probably doing a lot of back pedaling because they fear that not taking action after you have vioced your objections could easily end in a lawsuit. Good for you. It may seem a small vicoty, but it is a victory all the same!:applause: Keep up the good work, and give yourself a pat ont he back!

Keep in mind, I'm not the only one. Another deaf student took her stand in this situation with the exact same feelings and opinions. Two is better than one, haha.

Keep in mind, I'm not the only one. Another deaf student took her stand in this situation with the exact same feelings and opinions. Two is better than one, haha.

Absolutely! Strength in numbers! And your friend is to be commended, as well.

Absolutely! Strength in numbers! And your friend is to be commended, as well.

Thank you.

I just completed the complaint form and turned it in today at school. I will also fill out the complaint form online later today.

I just filled out the complaint form online not too long ago. My deaf classmate showed me the email she received from the chairperson for this department. It was suggested that we do our independent study as the replacement for the class. I know it's not as effective as the classroom but I'm glad.

It's official. I've been moved to another class, but on distance learning.

Distance learning is good. Better than independent study. I really don't see independent study as a viable alternative. That is denying you access to classroom lectures.

During the conversation while the teacher was talking, she interrupted herself to ask the student "Why don't you look at me when I'm talking to you?" All three of us were amazed and I'm glad to this day it was my team who interpreted that because I think my hands would have just frozen. (To this day the stupidest question I've ever personally heard asked of a deaf person.)
Basically, we all made many attempts to educate this teacher but we made almost no headway, and I'm afraid she was the kind of teacher who would think negatively about all deaf people because one decided not to take her crap.

yep. I've had two teachers like that. I remember my typing teacher well because she was the mean sort and got mad at me for looking at the terp instead of her. The terp had to explain to her that I have to look at the terp instead of her. I wasn't the only one who had problems with her.
(The one good thing I can say about that teacher in my story is that her ignorance was equal opportunity -- she made fun of the foreign hearing students' accents as well. :roll:)

It's been my experince that one person has problems with a certain minority they're likely to have problems with other minorities.

yep. I've had two teachers like that. I remember my typing teacher well because she was the mean sort and got mad at me for looking at the terp instead of her. The terp had to explain to her that I have to look at the terp instead of her. I wasn't the only one who had problems with her.

It's been my experince that one person has problems with a certain minority they're likely to have problems with other minorities.

Youa re quite correct on that one, deafskeptic!

Distance learning is good. Better than independent study. I really don't see independent study as a viable alternative. That is denying you access to classroom lectures.

Yep, the new teacher said we can start on where they're on. That's wonderful, because we don't want to do all over again. This class also use the same textbook as the other one, that's a plus.

I have been told today that the teacher has quit. The dean have no plans of hiring her back.

I was a high school teacher six years and a college teacher for 13. The majority of us know we work for the students; all other agendas, including our own, are secondary. Yes, good teachers change minute by minute if their students need it. All professions have their share of jerks, and that's what your adjunct teacher is.

I've only been deaf seven years. So far I've met a lot of jerks in all kinds of service jobs. My older sister is also deaf, and she sure can be a jerk at times. Luckily, her little bro is perfect.

I was a high school teacher six years and a college teacher for 13. The majority of us know we work for the students; all other agendas, including our own, are secondary. Yes, good teachers change minute by minute if their students need it. All professions have their share of jerks, and that's what your adjunct teacher is.

I've only been deaf seven years. So far I've met a lot of jerks in all kinds of service jobs. My older sister is also deaf, and she sure can be a jerk at times. Luckily, her little bro is perfect.

Did you read the earlier post in this thread? I have never seen something out of ordinary, especially from a teacher.

So, yeah, I know that the teacher have the share of jerks, but hers was way over the line.

I have been told today that the teacher has quit. The dean have no plans of hiring her back.

:applause:

You and the other deaf student did good work for you, other students, and the school. The teacher abused power and should not have power over students. Congratulations to you for fighting and winning - very impresive.

Before I didn't reply because I didn't know the meaning of what the teacher said. Did she mean: "Pay attention to your interpreter, J!" or "Class, everyone look at the interpreter, like a freak show!". I had teachers before college say "Pay attention to your interpreter" because I daydream and interpreter was the teacher's aid also. But the conversation is private - not in front of class and I was younger.

I had one very rude professor in college. He refused to give notes, vocabularly words (for ST), or syllabus for Calculus I. I said "ok" and walked to my apartment and got my grades for Calculus before college and then to the disability office. I gave them grades and explanation and said I needed another professor. I had the new professor by the next day. Next semester I was at the Math Department pizza party (Yes. Like the geek party in the geek town that is capital of the geek state :P). He sees me and looked surprised I didn't flunk or die from rejection. I ate lots of free pizza. :laugh2:

Edited to add: And took home pizza to my roommate who is reading this and wanting more pizza. No! Sorry! :P

I had one very rude professor in college. He refused to give notes, vocabularly words (for ST), or syllabus for Calculus I. I said "ok" and walked to my apartment and got my grades for Calculus before college and then to the disability office. I gave them grades and explanation and said I needed another professor. I had the new professor by the next day. Next semester I was at the Math Department pizza party (Yes. Like the geek party in the geek town that is capital of the geek state :P). He sees me and looked surprised I didn't flunk or die from rejection. I ate lots of free pizza. :laugh2:

haha i love that payback sort of feeling... good for you =D =D

You and the other deaf student did good work for you, other students, and the school. The teacher abused power and should not have power over students. Congratulations to you for fighting and winning - very impresive.

We felt what she did was a discrimination against us. I just cannot keep carrying it on without have to do something about it. It's just not right. We stood up for ourselves, "We can not let it happening against us". That was when we drew a line.

I hope the other deaf students and people will do the same thing in regards of being discriminated against in many circumstances.

We felt what she did was a discrimination against us. I just cannot keep carrying it on without have to do something about it. It's just not right. We stood up for ourselves, "We can not let it happening against us". That was when we drew a line.

I hope the other deaf students and people will do the same thing in regards of being discriminated against in many circumstances.

Youhave set a fine example for other students to follow. I am proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself, as well. Standing up to adminsitration is a courageous thing to do. Failure to address the injustice only allows it to continue, and you have broken that cycle.:h5:

If she's an adjunct, she is jsut trying to hold onto her job. If disability service cannot offer you a solution, go to the Dean of the college, and let him/her know that you are prepared to make the state board of education, post-secondary division, aware of the problems.

I've taught at the college level. Most deans don't suffer problems from adjuncts for very long. There's no reason to -- they just non-renew them next term and move on with life (unless the class is in a field that hard to fill for some reason). Adjuncts have almost no relationship with the school except a paycheck and a textbook.

Youhave set a fine example for other students to follow. I am proud of you, and you should be proud of yourself, as well. Standing up to adminsitration is a courageous thing to do. Failure to address the injustice only allows it to continue, and you have broken that cycle.:h5:

Thank you. :ty:

Back