College Student :)

anthropos

Reaction score
My name is Sam. I am 19 (going-on-twenty) and am a college junior. I am originally from Ohio and study in Pennsylvania. (I really, really love Ohio!)

Three things I love:

1. Anthropology

I study socio-cultural anthropology. Anthropology is the holistic study of human beings. ("Anthropos" is Greek for "human being" and is the root of the word anthropology). I really like studying cultures and diversity.

2. Languages

English is my first language, I am fluent in Spanish, and I speak a little bit of French. I love languages! Learning Spanish opened my life up to an entirely different culture and without it I would be a very, very different person.

3. Making People Laugh

Have you laughed today?

A little more about me

So...I am not Deaf, I am not Hard of Hearing, and I'm not even a CODA...rats! Haha. I don't have Deaf family or Hard of Hearing friends (although I had a CODA friend when I was younger). I have taken ASL I, but am *not* here for homework help. I'm not doing a study of Deaf culture and I am not doing research...

...then why am I here? Honestly, I am just a hearing guy who really wants to learn more about the world around him and the people who make up that world. (I hope that's okay...:aw:).

I have a couple of semesters left in college and am still confused about what I want to do with my life. I want to take time to learn ASL and really hope to make some new Deaf friends in the future. I do not know if/how ASL will shape my future career, but I am sure it will help to shape me as a person and that's exactly what I want.

I look forward to getting to know some of you.

~Sam~

Welcome and enjoy the site. Hope you are able to figure out what you want to do with your life but you still got time. :)

Welcome and enjoy the site. Hope you are able to figure out what you want to do with your life but you still got time. :)

Thanks so much. :)

By the way, I reread my post and I am now nervous that it looks like I was motivated to join because of some future career. I hope that's not the case...whoops! :Oops: I just really want to get to know new people, expand my knowledge, and grow as a person through what I love most: PEOPLE! :mrgreen:

I didn't see it that way. I just saw that you are wanting to expand your world.

WELCOME. Im new here too. Knowledge is AWESOME!!!!! I am also a student, but Im also hearing impaired and 46 years old. No matter how old you are widening your horizons and your mind is so exciting and wonderful.... I appreciate that a hearing person seems sincere and truly interesred in the hard of hearing and The Deaf Community. I don't get to see that, too often. Cool...

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. You are doing fine as long as you are observer to learning about our deafness and not try to "fix" us to be like you as a hearing person. Just kidding, but I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

:wave: Sam~

:welcome: to AD!!

By the way-

My Three things I love:

- I LOVE to laugh! Love to making people laugh too! :lol:
- I LOVE languages- any kinds
- I LOVE AD!!! :giggle:

Welcome to AllDeaf! :D

25tdjx2.gif

Back