College foot bath provokes response

Why are we bending over backwards to accomodate these Muslims who want to wash their feet? I say wash your feet in your own damn house. If they want foot baths so badly they should install them in their own homes. It's not the government's job to provide them a place to wash their feet. Jeez!!! This politically correct crap has gotten way out of hand.

Does it really matter? I don't see what the problem is. non-muslims would find benefit from foot baths in some scenarios as well. Soaking your feet can be relaxing and generally better for your health. I don't practice it but I fail to see why you're so angry about it.

Does it really matter? I don't see what the problem is. non-muslims would find benefit from foot baths in some scenarios as well. Soaking your feet can be relaxing and generally better for your health. I don't practice it but I fail to see why you're so angry about it.
There is no way I would soak my feet in a public basin. Too many germs and bacteria. :ugh3:

If you attended a professional pedicure class you wouldn't want to do that either.

If the basin isn't disinfected and sanitized after each use, then it's not safe to use.

Experts: Don't Shave Legs Before Pedicure - Health News Story - WEWS Cleveland

Family sues salon over death after pedicure - Women's Health - MSNBC.com

Besides, I don't think non-Muslims are supposed to use the basins because then they wouldn't be ritually clean for their purposes.

Nope, not angry about it. It's just that catering to one ethnic or religious group to the exclusion of all others is a bad idea. Footbaths in the home is fine but for public use is not healthy as Reba pointed out in her post before mine.

From what I read, it's not a foot spa like you are thinking. It's a faucet low enough to wash their feet. It's not a big deal. A lot of beaches have them near the parking lots to wash the sand off your feet. It's a LOW FAUCET. It's not a pedicure spa. Sheesh.

And it IS hate because you're saying "they can go back to where they came from," as if they aren't Americans. Once again, they aren't demanding these things. You're angry at the wrong people.

pac-mans idea is best however. It's not hard to fork out 20 bucks to china-mart.

...Once again, they aren't demanding these things....
They might not be formally demanding the foot washes but someone must have been doing something that caused the colleges to decide that there was a "need" for them. Could it be that other students complained that the Muslim students were washing their feet in the sinks (yuck) which slowed things down in the restrooms, and dripping water on the floor (slippery hazard).

I work in colleges and use their restrooms on a regular basis. Between classes, the ladies' rooms are packed full with women "taking care of business" during the short breaks. Sometimes there are lines waiting to use the sinks just to wash hands after using the toilet. There's no time or space for any rituals to be performed. Maybe that's what brought up some complaints. :dunno:

At the beach, signs posted in the public restrooms state, "Do not wash hair or feet in the sinks."

I'm a Christian but I neither expect nor want the college to make any special arrangements for me.

pac-mans idea is best however. It's not hard to fork out 20 bucks to china-mart.
I have an even cheaper solution. Why not carry a bottle of water that can be poured over the feet?

From what I read, it's not a foot spa like you are thinking. It's a faucet low enough to wash their feet. It's not a big deal. A lot of beaches have them near the parking lots to wash the sand off your feet. It's a LOW FAUCET. It's not a pedicure spa. Sheesh.

And it IS hate because you're saying "they can go back to where they came from," as if they aren't Americans. Once again, they aren't demanding these things. You're angry at the wrong people.

Yes, you're right. I may have come across as a little bit harsh. My apologies. But I still think that catering to one ethnic or religious group to the exclusion of others is a bad idea. It would open up a big can of worms and other groups will start asking for or demanding services that are exclusive to them. So the best thing to do is treat everyone the same. Just my opinion. I respect yours also. Friends?

Back