Colin Powell expected QUIT Bush camp in 2004.

ASLuser101

Reaction score
Early reports say Secy of State Colin Powell is leaving the Bush Adminstration in 2004 for "family reasons".

This is yet another top Bush staffer leaving for "family reasons."

I'd say we send the WHOLE Bush administration BACK TO THEIR FAMILIES!

What say you?

I think this is related to current events,

as for bush and all that I have a question FOR U now,

if u say bush should go back to thier family yet ur also supporting him in 2004 would this contridict ur handle so to speak, IM not for bashing u or anything im just curious on ur thoughts of this...

yes, it would contradict my handle and I'd be quite happy to have a contradictory handle!:D

ps: I'm voting for Gov. Dean unless Hillary steps in, then in that case, my vote goes to her.:D

Originally posted by Bush_in_2004!
Early reports say Secy of State Colin Powell is leaving the Bush Adminstration in 2004 for "family reasons".

This is yet another top Bush staffer leaving for "family reasons."

I'd say we send the WHOLE Bush administration BACK TO THEIR FAMILIES!

What say you?

I say that if i spent any time around bush i'd want to be around my family more too. Atleast they can hold a decent conversation (most of them, most of the time). I'd also say that next to Will Smith, Powell is the only other black guy that stands a real shot at actuly becoming prez someday. I say will smith, because he's wildly popular and that helps, but have no idea what any of his views are. And if things came down to it, i'd vote for powell long before bush if there was an election.... hell i'd vote for the damn easter bunny and santa as vp before voting for bush. Sure gore wasnt much better, but i think our ecconomy would be alot better off. Ok, post this in the right forum and i'll be sure to tell you how bush (and you) are wrong :)

/\/\êg£àdôñ

Originally posted by Bush_in_2004!
yes, it would contradict my handle and I'd be quite happy to have a contradictory handle!:D

ps: I'm voting for Gov. Dean unless Hillary steps in, then in that case, my vote goes to her.:D

thats what i thought LOL! thanks for being honest abt this :)

Megladon said: "Ok, post this in the right forum and i'll be sure to tell you how bush (and you) are wrong :)"

Fire away! I wanna hear it.

(moderators, please move this thread to the right forum pls?)

it's been denied.... was in the AOL news report :-X

WASHINGTON (Aug. 4) - Secretary of State Colin Powell on Monday dismissed as ''nonsense'' a Washington Post report that he and his deputy Richard Armitage planned to step down in early 2005.

''It's nonsense. I don't know what they are talking about. I serve at the pleasure of the president,'' Powell said according to a State Department transcript of an interview with Radio Sawa, a U.S.-funded Arabic broadcast to the Middle East.

''The president and I have not discussed anything other than my continuing to do my job for him and this is just one of those stories that emerge in Washington that reflects nothing more than gossip and the gossip leads to a rash of speculation about who might fill a vacancy that does not exist.''

The Post said Armitage recently told national security adviser Condoleezza Rice the two would leave on Jan. 21, 2005, the day after the next presidential inauguration, even if President Bush is re-elected.

''The story has no substance and the so-called conversation that took place between my deputy, Mr. Armitage, and national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, did not take place,'' Powell said. ''And therefore the story has no source or basis in the beginning; and most of it is just all gossip and speculation.''

The Post said Powell, a retired four-star general and former chairman of the U.S. military Joint Chiefs of Staff, had indicated to associates he would leave for personal reasons rather than policy differences. Powell has often been at odds with more hawkish members of the Bush team like Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and his deputy, Paul Wolfowitz.

The Post said Powell indicated a commitment made to his wife was a key factor in his desire to serve only one term.

Rice and Wolfowitz are the leading candidates to replace Powell, The Post said. Rice appeared to have an edge because of her proximity to Bush, it added.

Privately some officials gave some credence to the report, saying it has been assumed Powell was likely to leave after four years. But they noted Powell has always said he served at the pleasure of the president.

''My gut tells me that he will leave at the end of this term,'' said one official.

Another official noted there is typically much turnover between presidential terms, which could happen again if Bush were to win re-election in 2004.

The Post story is not helpful to Powell, who could find his effectiveness diminished if he is seen as a lame duck for the remaining 18 months of Bush's current term.

In Crawford, Texas, where Bush is on vacation at his ranch, White House spokesman Scott McClellan attributed the story to the Washington ''rumor mill.''

He added: ''The president thinks he's doing an outstanding job and ... looks forward to Secretary Powell continuing to work with him in our foreign policy realm.''

Coincidentally, Powell and Armitage were to fly to Texas to meet Bush at his ranch on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, a session scheduled two weeks ago, like one last August.

looks like georgie bush did some arm twisting huh?:naughty:

this is what's cool about politics . . . the story is unfolding and one never knows whats really up. lets see if Powell is around after 2004.

this reminds me of the sandra day o'connor "retirement". she had all but planned to retire when bush won in 2000. but when the news broke out that she wanted to retire when a republican prez won, she denied it. later after she picked bush in the florida mess, she couldn't retire then either because her motives would be obvious.

Bush_in_2004! said:
looks like georgie bush did some arm twisting huh?:naughty:

this is what's cool about politics . . . the story is unfolding and one never knows whats really up. lets see if Powell is around after 2004.

this reminds me of the sandra day o'connor "retirement". she had all but planned to retire when bush won in 2000. but when the news broke out that she wanted to retire when a republican prez won, she denied it. later after she picked bush in the florida mess, she couldn't retire then either because her motives would be obvious.

~~258~~ Didn't hear about the Sandra Day O'Conner threat of resigning or retiring from politics should a republican president is chosen. That proves how far behind I am of USA's current affairs... :P Of course, that is understandable due to me living in Australia, not USA anymore. I do try to follow up as much as possible to keep a connection to the States and my home country.

Back