Coda

M

Momoftwo

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place for me to post here.

I'm curious about coda (children of deaf adults). Do the codas have problem in school? poor grades or difficult to follow the teacher's instructions or not listen to teacher like daydreaming?

I've heard that the children learned the sign language first and they learned to use their eyes as when they get older, their eyes are expert better than listening skills. So, is that true that it could affect coda to have difficulties in school because they have the habit of using their eyes (visual skills) than listening skills?

I'm just learning.

Momoftwo

Hi MomOftwo,

U could ask a member here who has a username CODAchild, she knows alot more about how to raise a CODA child, and much more, you can PM her if you would like to ask her some questions regarding this...

Sorry I don't know much about this...

I am a deaf mother and have two hearing children 10 and 5, both of them attend public school system, My son Markus who is 10 is an honor roll student, At first when he was in first grade to second grade he had been having problems with reading, I put him in tutor and took him to the library to pick out his favorite books, sat down helped him with reading, read together, ask him to tell me what the story is about. It successful and made improvements.

If you see a problem in your children's knowledge, step up and work with them, do whatever it takes to see your children improve for the better. That's what I do. ;)

It's not only deaf parents with hearing children, It can happen to hearing parents with deaf children, or anyone else for all that matters. It's up to the parents ourselves to help our children to successful. :thumb:

Opps, I'm umm having a blonde moment here :Oops: .....I thought CODA stands for something else....

^Angel^ said:
Opps, I'm umm having a blonde moment here :Oops: .....I thought CODA stands for something else....

Yeah Hun, CODA= Children of Deaf Adults, those who have hearing children and parents are deaf or one parent is deaf.

I thought CODA stands for something else....

It depends on the context. In a pyschological context CODA stands for "CO-Dependants Anonymous" and is a support group for this dysfunction.

It's very unlikely that meaning would be used here though :)

I have heard that some CODAs have to have speech therapy because they do not learn to speak clearly from their parents. Not a bad thing but it just sometimes happens.

I know some KODA and CODA who had to have speech therapy and vocabulary building during their early elementary school years, and then they caught up and were fine. In fact, several of them truly excelled later in school.

0hcoda

my bro is an OHcoda only hearing child of deaf adults... while he was growing up we always turn tv volume on and make him learn speech at age of one or 2 and asl same time and get some of hearing relatives talk to him and my grandpa and grandma got him a phone so that he can call them any time and pricate on speech.. he did had hard time at kindergraten, but he skipped from first to 3rd grade then graduated with honors and scored 33 on his act test and now a Undercover cop in Charolette NC and an interpreter.. im proud of him and he fought so hard for himself and became sucessful even though he is from a deaf family- parents deaf me deaf sis deaf..

:thumb: Angel, thank you so much for referring Momoftwo to me, she did get in contact with me with your help, I helped her as best I could. She is a very lovely lady, and it was nice talking to her.

As for me, I grew up with deaf parent's, and it wasn't easy as most CODA'S know. I didn't go for Speech Therapy, I had my grandfather and my aunt on my dad's side, living upstairs from us, so I spent a lot of time with them, and they helped me a lot with my speech. My school work is another thing. That suffered incredibly, because my parent's level of schooling only went up to the 8th grade for my dad, and 11th grade for my mom. So if I had problems with homework or schoolwork, they couldn't help me, because they had never learned what I was learning at school at the time. My dad, however, had worked with a woman, who is hearing, and she exceled in Math and English, and for me, they were my worst subjects. She had tutored me and helped me a lot to understand what I was doing wrong. I thank God for her, for opening up my mind and eyes, and helping me to finally understand what I couldn't
As I grew up, life got easier, because of my love for reading and learning everyday. My parent's did a wonderful job raising my sister and I, and that is something I am very thankful for.

I have a bit a bit of problem with speak I talk like a Deafie

nothing else math or reading . I am able to functon better in the quiet

kim

Back