cochlear implants

Cheri said:
I'm not surprise none of those Cers members here have came forward with any links. Go firgures, I'm here to provide links....
Deaf Teenager Against Cochlear Implant Discussion of an Implanted Teen's Experience

Cochlear implants in children: past, present and future

Just remember, Cochlear implants does not work for everyone, everyone is different, I don't want to see parents choosing a CI in desperation without considering all of the options, What if it fails? It's a wasted of money, Doctors get paid, You get nothing. :whistle:

Wow, I'm surprise you actually had to post at me, when I tried to get those two to hear where the others were coming from, and I'm very much aware that CI isn't for everyone

And I strongly believe that parents have the right to choose what sort of devices they would want for their deaf children to wear....

Last edited:
Cheri said:
Interesting link...
"......Although results from implantation can be very variable, we do know that age at implantation has a strong effect on outcomes. If we look at changes in a child’s ability to use hearing to understand spoken language, five years after implantation, over 80% of children implanted under three can understand conversation without lipreading. If we look at speech intelligibility, we see a similar pattern, with 40% of children implanted below the age of three having speech with normal intelligibility, five years after implantation....
"
........."The outcomes we are seeing in many children are far beyond what we expected then, when we felt some deafened children may be able to hear environmental sounds and perhaps have an aid to lipreading. Who knows what the next ten years will bring? "

Cheri said:
I'm not surprise none of those Cers members here have came forward with any links. ..........
Actually, is there any point. We agree that results vary. YOu can find examples where there's failure, I can find examples where there's success. It will take a lot of space in this topic proving that which we allready agree upon. Results vary. The ratio how they vary can only be shown with studies done regarding the subject. We both have our idea's on how that is divided but do we really want to start proving it?
I don't dare to...

Cheri said:
I'm not surprise none of those Cers members here have came forward with any links. Go firgures, I'm here to provide links....
Deaf Teenager Against Cochlear Implant Discussion of an Implanted Teen's Experience

Cochlear implants in children: past, present and future

Just remember, Cochlear implants does not work for everyone, everyone is different, I don't want to see parents choosing a CI in desperation without considering all of the options, What if it fails? It's a wasted of money, Doctors get paid, You get nothing. :whistle:

Cheri said:

My Answer.. Yes it's fact!
Doctor made $$ coming from you.. lot of money reason ci may not work and may work depends.. Still asking you more $ for replace new ci.. All their nose smell from your pocket!

And also, Why can't Parent listening their child or teen feelings emotions due bad headache all the time coming from ci "noise enivorment".

Obvouis Doctor hasn't researched why Ci caused them headache hurt their head.. Just all Doctor want ingore "headache" and want $ from you implanted ci!

SAD!

GalaxyAngel said:
My Answer.. Yes it's fact!
Doctor made $$ coming from you.. lot of money reason ci may not work and may work depends.. Still asking you more $ for replace new ci.. All their nose smell from your pocket!

And also, Why can't Parent listening their child or teen feelings emotions due bad headache all the time coming from ci "noise enivorment".

Obvouis Doctor hasn't researched why Ci caused them headache hurt their head.. Just all Doctor want ingore "headache" and want $ from you implanted ci!

SAD!
not in my case though...

because my surgeon doctor was college professor at UofAz but he has transferred to UofMich a year after my surgery. (actually he got transferred back there). He didn't get my $$ because college only pay his salary. my insurance pay the UofAz's Medical Center for operation and CI and usage of equipments. :dunno: why you claim differently?

Advanced Bionic is not on stock market before bought by Boston Scientific which has listing on Stock Market.

Cochlear Corporation has listing on stock market in Australia not USA.

I don't know about MedEL since it is based in europe.

As for Cochlear Corp. the profits from stock market are funneled into improvement and researches. That's why we are seeing newer advances in technology of CI and advances in speech processing softwares.

I am sure same can be said for other two companies. They are not like Oil Company where they profit from sales of gas using Oil from foreign country instead of from their own.

Bingo! You got that right, GalaxyAngel I have said it all along for a long time. I know what I am talking about and dont have to prove anything that deaf people told the truth how they feels about CI device after they had their own experiences.. It s too many damaged on deaf children as is. Sighs!

After all I was a deaf child and knows whats the truth and the best interest for deaf children after all parents doesnt get the full information on negative side which is a huge problem in this society.. No one wants to share the truth with the parents who are so innocent and ignorant as far as I can see there are too many hidden negative side effects from CI device itself on d/Deaf children.

Thats a very cruel greedy from CI professional who made a big bucks.. sighs!

Thank you so much ;)
Sweetmind

Have to think that Hospital already pay the doctors before patients pay the doctors. It is called Salary as agreed to contract on how he get paid annually. For example, he get paid 60K per years regardless of numbers of implants he did.

So where does the $$ negativity comes from.

yea boult! Your medicaid or medicare as far as i know of.. jeez sitting around to do nothing and abuse the medicaid.. SOON OR LATER it will stop using medicaid for CI itself that i couldnt wait.

You could have pay for it with your own pocket but you wont do this anyway.. you took advantage of medicaid that is very important for those people who need it badly. You are not sick or having a serious health problem.

In a way it s a real abuse toward the system in many ways. It s not necessary for deaf children have to have CI itself after all it snt working too well or not working at all which is totally waste money and time.

Sighs!

Sweetmind

I don't understand what's the difference of wasting money?? If I were to buy a pair of hearing aids, and it didn't help me later on, then I can always go and buy another pair and spend more money on it, but that would be up to me wouldn't it? since it's my money and I can spend it as much as I wanted to, those parents who implanted their children with CI usually most insurance covers it and they don't pay a penny, but for hearing aids, most insurance don't cover that, and yet when parents needs to save money in order to buy a set of hearing aids, yet none of you see it as a waste of money??...

If comes out of their own pocket, it's their business and they can do whatever they want with their money and how they spend it on...

It's the same thing as buying a wheel chair for those who can not walk, or someone needs to buy a pair of glasses to help them see clearly, and maybe down the road , the glasses are no used anymore and then they go and buy another pair of new glasses, yet they don't see it as a waste of money, they buy things that they need in order to help them, and I don't see the difference in all of this....

:dunno:

Cochlear implants cost tons of more money than hearing aids, Secondly of all, If cochlear implants fail, Poor children have to be stuck with a internal receiver inside of them. Hearing aids, You just take it off of your ears, pieces of cake.

Cochlear implants DO NOT come out of their pockets, Insurance pays for it all, they pay part of percent or nothing.

If Deaf people have to buy their own telecommunication Devices (tty), telecaption (caption for tv), Alerting Devices/Systems (Baby cry, door bell, phone ringing, fire alarm, paging devices, security alarms, wake up alarms much more) out of their own pockets.

I believe that those who want Cochlear implants should pay for theirs out of their own pocket, It's only fair. :whistle:

Cheri, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other re: paying for equipment but I thought you'd be interested in the fact that the things we pay for are labeled non-medical and that CI's are labeled by the insurance industry as medical. Kinda strange, huh but that's the reason things stand as they currently do in the insurance business.

Tousi said:
Cheri, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other re: paying for equipment but I thought you'd be interested in the fact that the things we pay for are labeled non-medical and that CI's are labeled by the insurance industry as medical. Kinda strange, huh but that's the reason things stand as they currently do in the insurance business.

I understand what you are saying Tousi, But some insurance don't cover hearing aids isn't that a medical reason too?

Sweetmind said:
yea boult! Your medicaid or medicare as far as i know of.. jeez sitting around to do nothing and abuse the medicaid.. SOON OR LATER it will stop using medicaid for CI itself that i couldnt wait.

You could have pay for it with your own pocket but you wont do this anyway.. you took advantage of medicaid that is very important for those people who need it badly. You are not sick or having a serious health problem.

In a way it s a real abuse toward the system in many ways. It s not necessary for deaf children have to have CI itself after all it snt working too well or not working at all which is totally waste money and time.

Sighs!

Sweetmind

Obviously you don't know me very well. You ONLY know me when I was in Rochester period. end of story.

I do not have medicaid. I don't qualify for it.

I have and use Secure Horizon as Insurance http://www.securehorizons.com/
I have nothing to hide. I am self-employed and I love it. At least I get paid after all!

Cochlear implants cost tons of more money than hearing aids, Secondly of all, If cochlear implants fail, Poor children have to be stuck with a internal receiver inside of them. Hearing aids, You just take it off of your ears, pieces of cake.

Cochlear implants DO NOT come out of their pockets, Insurance pays for it all, they pay part of percent or nothing.

If Deaf people have to buy their own telecommunication Devices (tty), telecaption (caption for tv), Alerting Devices/Systems (Baby cry, door bell, phone ringing, fire alarm, paging devices, security alarms, wake up alarms much more) out of their own pockets.

I believe that those who want Cochlear implants should pay for theirs out of their own pocket, It's only fair.

YEP YEP You got it.. Thank you for saying it aloud. ;) No wonder it s getting too expensive to buy insurance nowadays because ppl abused it for a wrong reason. Sighs! Also I feel sympathy for many people who couldnt get the coverage by insurance when they got cancer or any other serious health illness .. CI is the one that should not be coverage by insurance . So be it!

It s not necessary that have to have CI to coverage by insurance.

Angel HA and CI are the same behavior patterns that doesnt make a big difference in many ways.. We are still having a plm with hearing people who doenst have any respect for any deafies with HA or CI in this society.. Also many CIers doesnt have a job as well. I have seen it myself and couldnt understand why is that happens here in this society and still being so negative about deafness that cannot be fixed at all?

Thank you! ;)
Sweetmind

Cheri said:
I understand what you are saying Tousi, But some insurance don't cover hearing aids isn't that a medical reason too?
so far, insurance don't cover hearing aids because it is not "durable medical equipment"

Cheri said:

I believe that those who want Cochlear implants should pay for theirs out of their own pocket, It's only fair. :whistle:
They do pay out of pockets, it is called deductible fees and premiums that they paid over the years even co-pay. Like car insurance and health insurance.

i know a friend who paid 5 thousand dollars after the medicare paid the rest of it.. how can they afford while they are on welfare?? I dont understand this anymore.. Thats full of crap in those system lately....

Yea nice try boult.

Cheri said:

Cheri, that's what I meant, hearing aids according to most insurance companies are not a medical necessity and therefore, they won't pay. But there are some that do, like mine (Kaiser) where I get a thousand buck allowance every two years for a hearing aid so I pay the difference over that amount.

Sweetmind said:
i know a friend who paid 5 thousand dollars after the medicare paid the rest of it.. how can they afford while they are on welfare?? I dont understand this anymore.. Thats full of crap in those system lately....

Yea nice try boult.

I am not on welfare. my insurance, Secure Horizon, paid them in full. So not every insurance are the same. some require co-pay some do not. I do co-pay for my mapping sessions.

Obviously your friend only have "Medicare" that's it. And probably not enrolled into "Medicare Advantage" http://www.medicare.gov/Choices/Overview.asp (the 2nd type of plan)

Tousi said:
Cheri, that's what I meant, hearing aids according to most insurance companies are not a medical necessity and therefore, they won't pay. But there are some that do, like mine (Kaiser) where I get a thousand buck allowance every two years for a hearing aid so I pay the difference over that amount.
Yeah I know someone who works at Kaiser and deaf too.. anyway that's true in your case.

Back