Cochlear Implants Redefine What It Means To Be Deaf

Lily7

Reaction score
This article came out on the NPR today. It pissed me off, but I can't place my finger on why. The best I can come up with is that it feels audist, maybe. They didn't even mention the importance of Deaf culture, either. Or that deaf schools have an important role to play in keeping that culture alive. I have always liked the NPR, but I am sorely disappointed in them for running this. They should know better. Am I overreacting?

Cochlear Implants Redefine What It Means To Be Deaf : NPR

Thats what they think so. Hope those deaf kids with ci turn out they are ok when they get older. So i feel comfortable for who i am as to what i have now is asl with no need of CI and have awesome friends, good family and comfortable life. Lets hope whose people who think so great about ci then they better be .

Last edited:
Perhaps the actual statistics on Cochlear Implants since 1984 to 2011 Sunnybrook/Toronto might suggest that not everyone can be Implanted. Referred patients: 3000 only 950- of which I was one- implanted of which 18 found no value. I understand Sick Kids/Toronto have "similar" experience.
This info recent patients meeting.

This article came out on the NPR today. It pissed me off, but I can't place my finger on why. The best I can come up with is that it feels audist, maybe. They didn't even mention the importance of Deaf culture, either. Or that deaf schools have an important role to play in keeping that culture alive. I have always liked the NPR, but I am sorely disappointed in them for running this. They should know better. Am I overreacting?

Cochlear Implants Redefine What It Means To Be Deaf : NPR

I read this article yesterday too and I had the same reaction. I found it audist and I thought it was sending the message that deaf people can't possibly lead a fulfilling life without CI.

The comments on the article shows the various responses of the utilization of electronics to the DEAF condition. Further change coming.

I wonder if they understand that cochlear implants are NOT a magical hearing device that restores hearing. It gets so annoying when i try to explain to them that i don't hear like a normal hearing person. It's not magic. I'm really glad that we have all this technology to help us, but there's no such thing as a perfect technology, they're always improving, always detailing the littlest things.

I wonder if they understand that cochlear implants are NOT a magical hearing device that restores hearing. It gets so annoying when i try to explain to them that i don't hear like a normal hearing person. It's not magic. I'm really glad that we have all this technology to help us, but there's no such thing as a perfect technology, they're always improving, always detailing the littlest things.

Exactly! I get the same expectancy of "magic" or "Star Trek" from hearing people, regarding my two hearing aids. :roll: Grrrr! Maybe someday in the distant future there will be such a thing as "Star Trek" technology. But until then, I wish, too, that news media and even the manufacturers and audiologists out there would stop lying that it fixes hearing 100% and restores 100%, :ugh: and instead be truthful and realistic. If the general public was properly educated, it sure would help lessen the frustration we all feel in dealing with the ignorance out there! :|

Having a Cochlear Implant almost 5 years I have explained it is not a "miracle" but an electronic device that SOME DEAF persons MAY ( if suitable) bring SOME levels of hearing.
The condition of deafness doesn't go away.
Very easy to determine=just disconnect one's Implant-awful quiet!

CoolGirl wrote:
I'm really glad that we have all this technology to help us, but there's no such thing as a perfect technology

I agree with you ..... technology helps but doesn't cure. Look at all the people that get heart pacemakers and they still die anyway .......

Pidgin

God Bless the little children while they are still too young to hate ... Tom T. Hall

Yet the picture they choose to use is a Deaf child with a CI watching a teacher who is signing. The mass media is generally clueless.

Yet the picture they choose to use is a Deaf child with a CI watching a teacher who is signing. The mass media is generally clueless.

Or maybe the photo is meant to indicate that some deaf children, such as this one with an implant, can have both visual and auditory access to language in a school environment. I wish that message had gotten more play in the article itself, although seemed to be somewhat more prominent in the audio more than in the written piece (see the transcript).

I read the article "Cochlear Implants Redefine What It Means To Be Deaf : NPR". But, they forgot to mention this...

RECOMMENDED GUIDELINES ON SAFETY
FOR COCHLEAR IMPLANT USERS

Air travel

The speech processor must be switched off
during take off and landing
while the plane
has the ‘Fasten Seatbelts’ sign illuminated.
This is because it emits a signal which can
cause temporary interference with the
pilot’s equipment.

Thunderstorms

All metal objects should be removed if
out in a thunderstorm
therefore if a
cochlear implant user is outside during
a thunderstorm they should remove the
external parts of the implant system
because it contains metal parts.
:shock:

"Cochlear Implants Redefine What It Means To Be Deaf : NPR" forgot to mention that the cochlear implant processor causes airplane pilots to crash and lightnings striking you more often.

On the face of it-the "warnings above" seem to bit difficult to "believe". Re the signal strength of an Implant is not very "powerful"- thus the "consequence of Plane crashes" appear to be remote.
I acknowledge that I Have had my Cochlear Implant only 5 years and none of the above has happened-the future?

nice but those kids wg are losing their taste of truly deaf culture with no doubt. Of course as long as it does not affect me. However, little the small number of Deaf kids do but Deaf kids are the tougie cookies, i know that. Oh well, Life goes on!! :ugh3:

I am looking for a long term relationship that could lead to marriage

Hi am rabecca by name am 32 years old and single Looking for that Right man of my Dreams a man i will be with and spend the rest of my Life with,i am new to this Online dating stuff , seeing your profile gave me some smiles and that is why i have to email you and think we should get to know ourselves more better,that is if you care?well you can email me on jamesrabecca@yahoo.com or add me up on yahoo messanger at
jamesrabecca or aswell leave me your email address so i can contact you and we talk more .
Thanks and stay Cool Much Likes rabecca.

I am surprised that more than half of the children are getting cochlear implants now. And this number increases every year. I am from China, and I barely see children in China get cochlear implants. Most of deaf children go to deaf school and have their own community which are not communicate with normal person very much. Because of poverty, some of deaf children in China cannot be educated well and they are not going outside. I hope this situation will be better soon and cochlear implants help them get better.

So you think that Cochlear Implants (CI) is better than hearing aids. Don't you think that CI cost a lot of money to put in the profound deaf child? It is not cheap. Beside surgery for the profoundly deaf can have some advantages and some disadvantages. You have to research about CIs. Cochlear Implant Devices are really complicated to wear them. Beside surgery is not always the best thing to have. Some of the CI students or people have trouble with Tinnitus (ringing in your head) that would help from CIs. Everyone is different.

But if you say that Chinese children came from poor families, then they can not afford CIs. It is better with hearing aids. So I hope you understand why we have to explain to hearing people that they can not make deaf children hear like normal or perfect hearing. Sign language is primary or main language for the deaf children. It is easier for them to understand better than lipreading. I do hope deaf children can have a better education with sign language and notetaking. This help them function and learn better than going through mainstream school (hearing public schools where they have some Deaf program or no Deaf program). Now that you are on AD, I hope you learn a lot about our deafness and Deaf Culture. So don't give a deaf child by putting down as saying he or she better get CI. :nono:

I am surprised that more than half of the children are getting cochlear implants now. And this number increases every year. I am from China, and I barely see children in China get cochlear implants. Most of deaf children go to deaf school and have their own community which are not communicate with normal person very much. Because of poverty, some of deaf children in China cannot be educated well and they are not going outside. I hope this situation will be better soon and cochlear implants help them get better.

I recently read an article that talked about the CI they are starting to manufacture in China.

It will be much cheaper than the ones on the market now, so you will soon see many children in China get a CI.

So you think that Cochlear Implants (CI) is better than hearing aids. Don't you think that CI cost a lot of money to put in the profound deaf child? It is not cheap. Beside surgery for the profoundly deaf can have some advantages and some disadvantages. You have to research about CIs. Cochlear Implant Devices are really complicated to wear them. Beside surgery is not always the best thing to have. Some of the CI students or people have trouble with Tinnitus (ringing in your head) that would help from CIs. Everyone is different.

But if you say that Chinese children came from poor families, then they can not afford CIs. It is better with hearing aids. So I hope you understand why we have to explain to hearing people that they can not make deaf children hear like normal or perfect hearing. Sign language is primary or main language for the deaf children. It is easier for them to understand better than lipreading. I do hope deaf children can have a better education with sign language and notetaking. This help them function and learn better than going through mainstream school (hearing public schools where they have some Deaf program or no Deaf program). Now that you are on AD, I hope you learn a lot about our deafness and Deaf Culture. So don't give a deaf child by putting down as saying he or she better get CI. :nono:

Cochlear implant is done when hearing aids can no longer benefit the user. A cochlear implant would be the next step up.

Bebonang

just forget someone who is blah blah blah..........

think of sweet sleep.

funny-animal-gifs-niiiight.gif

Back