Cochlear Implants Laws

Serendipity

Reaction score
Inspired by my roommate's recent research on CI for school. I never thought there are such laws regarding cochlear implants. I know nothing about laws of the implants. Anyone know about the laws related to CI?

The first law I learned was the insurance shall cover all the costs.

The second law, I believe, is having to go through a 3-month process with the doctors and hospital before receiving the implant. I will learn why soon enough.

Fragmenter said:
The first law I learned was the insurance shall cover all the costs.
That certainly isn't a law here. My hubby was just approved for a CI and it will cost us about $1500 out-of-pocket (after insurance).

Fragmenter said:
The second law, I believe, is having to go through a 3-month process with the doctors and hospital before receiving the implant. I will learn why soon enough.
They have to do plenty of testing to see if you qualify for the surgery, more than just a mere audiological exam. Are you deaf enough that HA's are no longer sufficient? What is the etiology of your deafness? Do you have enough residual hearing? Are your expectations of the CI realistic? Do you have any balance issues? etc

Why the insurance would not coverage for my breast lift up? :cry:

They probably think your boobs are fine just the way they are

Eve said:
That certainly isn't a law here. My hubby was just approved for a CI and it will cost us about $1500 out-of-pocket (after insurance).

They have to do plenty of testing to see if you qualify for the surgery, more than just a mere audiological exam. Are you deaf enough that HA's are no longer sufficient? What is the etiology of your deafness? Do you have enough residual hearing? Are your expectations of the CI realistic? Do you have any balance issues? etc

Gotcha. I'm glad they consider these things other than how thin their wallets are to them.

BTW, you cannot receive any more private messages... dang... you have 125 messages right now :Owned:

I don't belive this is law, but there are requirements beforehand. An MRI scan must be done to ensure there is no occification of the cochlea. Hearing tests are done to justify the need for a CI (no residual hearing or such a low level that it won't be helped with a HA) and bilateral deafness (though it is my understanding that they are just now experimenting with those who are deaf in just one ear.)

There are some situations where a CI will not be implanted. Occification or malformation of the cochlea, malformation of the auditory nerve, etc

I think there should be MANDATORY psycological counseling. Some of the hearing parents and deaf folks out there, are STILL with the mentality that CI will be a CURE!!!!!!!!! There's nothing wrong with implanting when hearing aids don't help much, or when there is a dead ear, but god...... some people act like it's a CURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deafdyke said:
I think there should be MANDATORY psycological counseling. Some of the hearing parents and deaf folks out there, are STILL with the mentality that CI will be a CURE!!!!!!!!! There's nothing wrong with implanting when hearing aids don't help much, or when there is a dead ear, but god...... some people act like it's a CURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe they are starting to do that more and more. In my case, it wasn't necessary as I knew full well what I was getting into...

deafdyke said:

I had to undergo an interview where I was asked what my expectations of a CI were, and then given information on what to realistically expect. In all honesty - what I experienced has been 10x better than what I expected, as I felt it would be better for me mentally to not expect much, in the rare chance that it was a failure. The interview to make sure I knew the limitations of the CI was part of my candidacy process.

Deaf Images said:
CI should be banned as it is merely an expensive hearing aid.

:dunno:

Hearing aids are no good to me as my nerve hairs are too damaged for them to work! Can you please invent a hearing aid that can help me then and then we can talk about banning CIs.

deafdyke said:
Eve said:
Are your expectations of the CI realistic?
In case I wasn’t clear with my previous statement *see quote*…they do make sure that all potential CI recipients understand that a CI is NOT a cure and will not restore 100% hearing. To qualify for a CI, one must undergo a battery of tests, not limited to audiological testing. My husband had to view DVD’s, read booklets, interview others with CIs (those with negative experiences, not just positive), undergo balance testing, be screened by an entire team, including psychological, etc. I really don’t see how they could have been any more thorough!

You really should do some research before spewing such crap. A hearing aid merely amplifies what one is already capable of hearing, whereas a CI clarifies what is being heard. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Fragmenter said:
:dunno: <-------- EXACTLY. You dunno what CI can do :ugh2:
Only those who have actually experienced a CI know exactly what it can do. Consequently, maybe we should be paying more attention to neecy than some ignoramus who thinks they know it all.

R2D2 said:
Hearing aids are no good to me as my nerve hairs are too damaged for them to work! Can you please invent a hearing aid that can help me then and then we can talk about banning CIs.
R2D2 do you have a CI? Just curious, because I may have misunderstood….I really thought you had to have sufficient nerve hairs for a CI to be affective (I could be wrong). I guess I should ask an audiologist on this one.

All insurance in US would probably cut to cover CI because CI isn't need to have it, deaf kids are born as good healthly, walk so well, learn so well and doing fine with life. Anyone who born deaf so it supposed to get free hearing aids from government and some school provides FM system to help. If anyone who want get CI then it must pay medical payment for $45,000 or more. I would dream about declining of CI in USA.

Deaf Images said:

:dunno:

If you want to do then create new bills then can pass by FDA to change CI policy. Feel free to invites me and make sure that you are very good opening mind, more explain about CI issues. Just includes unfair stuff with CI.

Eve said:
Only those who have actually experienced a CI know exactly what it can do. Consequently, maybe we should be paying more attention to neecy than some ignoramus who thinks they know it all.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Though I've been accused of "knowing it all" by a few as well for being pro-CI.

The thing is - this individual (Deaf Images) has made statements like this before which leads me to believe its NOT ignorance that's making him say that but the fact he wants to start a flame war.

So without further ado, my suggestion is:

feedtroll.gif

Back