Cochlear Implants are only for people who never had hearing

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
I belive this cause if you have hearing before and became deaf like i did it will bother you psychological.Cause sounds from the CI will not sound like you heard it before.Thats the facts of a CI my doctor told me. CI will benifit children ages 3 and up and adults who never heard a sound in their life.Thats my theory on certain people who should have a CI.

ravensteve1961 said:
I belive this cause if you have hearing before and became deaf like i did it will bother you psychological.Cause sounds from the CI will not sound like you heard it before.Thats the facts of a CI my doctor told me. CI will benifit children ages 3 and up and adults who never heard a sound in their life.Thats my theory on certain people who should have a CI.

Tell this to Rush Limbaugh.

I believe that those who are post lingually deafened retain "sound memory", so therefore, they do better than those who are preligually deafened. The exception to this seems to be children who are implanted. Children may do better, because, their brains are more pliable than adults, and they pick up sounds easier than the adult implantee. Anyone who has a CI can correct me if I'm wrong about this.

:)

Oceanbreeze,

You are correct in the order who best benefits from a CI. Being a post-lingually deafened adult with HOH all my life and now a CI, I hear quite well now again. In fact it is so much better you would have to ply my CI "out of my cold dead hands" so to speak :D

To answer ravensteve1961, it is a matter what you make of it and other factors. Yes, I had to adapt to it but once you "get your bearings" in your brain, it sound quite normal and there has been no pyschological stress for me. For me the hardest part was the first week and after that it was plain sailing. A part of that was that I was going to make this work one way or another.

Perhaps one might think I'm one of the "lucky ones" but I have seen and heard of many who have done well it. Unfortunately, there are also those it didn't so well. It is sometimes a complicated business and therefore sometimes unpredictable in what actually occurs.

I'm postlingually deaf (diagnosed with mild hearing loss at age 3; moderately-severe hearing loss by age 15; severe-profound hearing loss for the past 10 years) and have had my CI activated for 6 months. At this point, most of what I hear (voices and enviromental sounds) is very much like what I remember with hearing aids.

A prelingually deaf CI user I know reports that bird songs sound mechanical to her. When I listen to birds with my CI, I can hear them "tweet" and "chirp." I can also hear more than one bird call at once.

I was able to use my hearing to hear/understand speech until 2-3 years ago. I've worn hearing aids for 20 years, so have plenty of auditory memory to help give sound meaning.

The first 2 weeks following my CI activation were *really* difficult! :( Everything was *so* loud!! In the beginning I could only wear my processor for 2 hours at a time. Any longer than that would cause nausea and headaches. I took breaks and slowly increased the time I wore the CI from 2 hours to 2.5 hours, 2.5 hours to 3 and so on.

Although my audi thought it would take weeks or months before I would start to understand speech with my CI, I spent hours practicing every day on various listening websites. As a result, I was able to understand some speech at 3 weeks post activation. Each person is different. There are so many variables which help determine how well a person will do with a CI (duration of deafness, time of language acquisition, brain wiring, etc.) -- and no guarantees.

I'm doing very well with my CI. My latest percentages at 6 month post activation are 97% for sentences in quiet, 90% for sentences in noise and 72% for single words. Those percentages don't always translate into real world experience, but they're very close -- and much better than my pre-CI test scores (22% for sentences in noise, 0% for single words and 0% for sentences in noise).

Deciding whether or not to get a CI is a difficult decision because there are no guarantees. It took me 3 years before I finally decided to be evaluated for a CI and even then, I wasn't entirely convinced it was the route I wanted to take. I procrastinated and my CI application spent close to a month sitting inside a drawer.

Sometimes the only thing you have to hold onto is the hope that you, a friend or loved one will receive maximum benefit from an implant. Unfortunately that isn't always the case and people really do need to realize that the CI isn't always the panacea people make it out to be.

Don't get me wrong...I *love* my CI and wouldn't trade it for the world!! However, CIs aren't the right choice for everyone. Just because a CI works for me doesn't mean it will work for you or the next person. Each of us has to decide for ourselves what choice is best and that choice should be respected.

CIs aren't a miracle cure for deafness. They are a tool -- nothing more, nothing less.

I wonder if alex has more news update about scientist experments on hair nerve cell regeneration.

I wish to make a law to ban the CI to give the CI to the born deaf people. They don't need CI and the CI isn't for them. THE CI IS FOR THE PEOPLE THAT LOST THEIR HEARING AT THEIR LIFETIME. It just makes sense really.

CI is like the Hilter to the deaf world.

Well I lost my hearing and i had it for 42 years doctor explaned to me CI is not normal hearing.You will never hear as you heard before. The only answer if you wanna hear again normaly theyre two possibilties. One= Stem Cell reaserch. Two=hair nerve cell regeneration. And you know george bush will veto the Stem Cell reaserch. I have deaf people already writen to their congressmen to try to override president bush veto on stem cell reseach. I already writen a letter to president bush and told him if he vetos the stem cell research i will vote for hillary in 08. And I writen a letter to congressman foley if he doesnt override bushs veto i will personaly vote for a democrat in 06 to replace him.

ravensteve I've read afew of your post while looking around and notice that nothing makes you happy. Sorry you lost your hearing, but being mad at the world won't bring it back. Even if the CI won't be like normal hearing, you'll could have hearing again. I'm thinking about a CI for my son who has never heard much of anything. He won't have anything to compare it to, but there's a chance that he'll be able to hear and I can find out what he thinks all the time and be able to commuicate with him more. He's almost 2 and I have no idea what goes on in his head, but whatever it is he's happy.

Well why couldnt bush look at stem cells in a useful way. Oh yeah the democrats will make you recycle. But Recycle trash and making neighbors do it BY LAW just doesnt make sence.But recycle the stem cells to help people walk again,See again,Hear again and eliminate dieases does make sence. Nancy Reagan belives in stem cell research. If stem cell research came though sooner it might haved cured her husband ronald reagan.

Yes..Thats how i had hearing. Hearing Aids will only work if anyone has between 45-DBs & 70-DBs My hearing is now 95-DBs hearing aids will do no good.

ravensteve1961 said:
Well why couldnt bush look at stem cells in a useful way. Oh yeah the democrats will make you recycle. But Recycle trash and making neighbors do it BY LAW just doesnt make sence.But recycle the stem cells to help people walk again,See again,Hear again and eliminate dieases does make sence. Nancy Reagan belives in stem cell research. If stem cell research came though sooner it might haved cured her husband ronald reagan.

If you're concerned about furthering the cause of embryonic stem cell research, it's not the Democrats you should be raging at. The Republicans are the one's who are against using embryonic stem cells for research.

If you really want to do some good, start a letter writing campaign and tell the Republicans in Congress to support embryonic stem research.

ravensteve1961 said:
Yes..Thats how i had hearing. Hearing Aids will only work if anyone has between 45-DBs & 70-DBs My hearing is now 95-DBs hearing aids will do no good.

If hearing aids are no longer helpful, why not go ahead with CI implantation? You were very gung-ho about it, and now, you want nothing to do with it. Why?

ravensteve1961 said:
Well I lost my hearing and i had it for 42 years doctor explaned to me CI is not normal hearing.You will never hear as you heard before. The only answer if you wanna hear again normaly theyre two possibilties. One= Stem Cell reaserch. Two=hair nerve cell regeneration. And you know george bush will veto the Stem Cell reaserch. I have deaf people already writen to their congressmen to try to override president bush veto on stem cell reseach. I already writen a letter to president bush and told him if he vetos the stem cell research i will vote for hillary in 08. And I writen a letter to congressman foley if he doesnt override bushs veto i will personaly vote for a democrat in 06 to replace him.

Hearing with a CI may not come close to normal hearing, but newsflash:

You NEVER had normal hearing! You've always had a hearing loss, and that is why you wore aids. Steve, why not go ahead with implantation? It sounds like you'd be happier. Also, what if by chance that hair cell regeneration does become a reality, and for some reason, you find out that THAT doesn't give one "normal hearing"? Then, what are you going to do?

Hearing aids are very close to normal hearing. CIs sound like a robots voice. I cant stand listening to people who talk like robots. And Birds sould like something else and music is way out of whack. I heard very Beautiful with a hearing aid i enjoyed music,Movies and sporting events. Now the only thong i can enjoy is sports.

Oceanbreeze said:
If you're concerned about furthering the cause of embryonic stem cell research, it's not the Democrats you should be raging at. The Republicans are the one's who are against using embryonic stem cells for research.

If you really want to do some good, start a letter writing campaign and tell the Republicans in Congress to support embryonic stem research.
WRONG!! Its GEORGE BUSH whos blocking progress. Both Democrats and Republicans passed the embryonic stem research. And if he vetos it im voting for HILLARY in 08! And If Mark Foley wont vote for override it in the senate im voting for a DEMOCRAT! And Then they will pass it and lets get it on!

ravensteve1961 said:
WRONG!! Its GEORGE BUSH whos blocking progress. Both Democrats and Republicans passed the embryonic stem research. And if he vetos it im voting for HILLARY in 08! And If Mark Foley wont vote for override it in the senate im voting for a DEMOCRAT! And Then they will pass it and lets get it on!

And, Bush belongs to what party? Republican!

President Bush is against embryonic stem cell research because he's catering to the Pro life base of the REPUBLICAN PARTY. It is THE REPUBLICANS who are against this, because according to them, embryonic stem cells have the potential for life, and therefore, should not be destroyed for research or any other purpose.

Redirect your rage. For once, you and the Democrats are on the same side. Accept it.

Oceanbreeze said:
And, Bush belongs to what party? Republican!

President Bush is against embryonic stem cell research because he's catering to the Pro life base of the REPUBLICAN PARTY. It is THE REPUBLICANS who are against this, because according to them, embryonic stem cells have the potential for life, and therefore, should not be destroyed for research or any other purpose.

Redirect your rage. For once, you and the Democrats are on the same side. Accept it.
Then How did it get passed if there more republicans than democrats in both houses? Remember republicans are the majority now and they make the rules and pass the laws. Why you think ethics rules are changed now?

ravensteve1961 said:

Oh okay.

Oh okay.
Ummm, no....there are many severe to profounders who get a TON of benifit out of hearing aids! (like they function as hoh with them)
Not all severe to profounders are stone deaf or don't get anything out of aids...some do get a ton of benifits out of aids!

Back