Cochlear implants and martial arts

If you read my reply..i understood..like i said don't think it's a good idea...my girlfriend knows jiu jitsu and faught and it's dangerous for even a hearing person to have head injuries..to risk that and have an IMPLANT in your head would be silly and a not smart on your part in my opinion...

I understand it's common sense.
I get that.
It's a small chip in your head and one would think that a judo slam resulting in landing on your head would probably damage such a small chip.

I just want an OFFICIAL answer.
Sorry if I'm being a dick.
I just want a yes or no answer.

But and again, you guys have CI right?
It's amazing that a mere soccer game could damage CI. Martial arts would probably break it easily.
Is it really that fragile?

I don't think there are much if any cochlear surgeons that surf this board, if they do they come rarely. That's the only way to get an official answer; ask someone in the cochlear corporation.

None of the people here with CI's I'm aware of do serious martial arts to the form that it is like MMA style fighting.

I doubt it's as much as the chip, last I knew of there are other conditions to be aware of with having a CI.

I get that.
It's a small chip in your head and one would think that a judo slam resulting in landing on your head would probably damage such a small chip.

It's amazing that a mere soccer game could damage CI. Martial arts would probably break it easily.

If it were your own money spent on getting a CI would you risk it versus a CI paid for by your insurance company?

Perhaps contacting a CI company and ask them that question would be a better place to ask than here.

If it were your own money spent on getting a CI would you risk it versus a CI paid for by your insurance company?

Perhaps contacting a CI company and ask them that question would be a better place to ask than here.

That's the thing. This procedure is very expensive. I was told by my audi that its in the ball park of $100,000 - $120,000 for this to be done. Is it really worth it to take a chance on something happening by being slammed on the head and damaging the implant, and then finding out your insurance wont cover it to be fixed because you took a risky chance? But it's your head not mine. only you can make the decision on wether you want to take that risk.

I get that.

If you understand that it's simple common sense, then why is this still in debate? If you want an "official" answer, you should probably ask the CI manufactures/professionals instead of asking people on the internet. It's a lil contradictory, isn't it?

If you've been training for 3 years now, you're a higher level of intermediate status, so you should know the inherent risk of what you are doing for your sport.

I've found that as we get older, we need to find a balance of these sports and our lives. If you are not en route to professional status, is it really worth your health, job etc. I don't go out as hard as I used to when I was younger when I go out snowboarding because if I hurt my hands, I can't work. I understand the need for recreation and leisure sports, but balance that with your greater needs.

My guess is that the OP is hesitant to give up training in the arts in exchange for improved hearing, which is the reason why there would be any denial or questioning going on.

It's that point in life where you make the choices at your own road's fork.

if he's so hesitant then wait until he's older and can't fight anymore and then get CI...obviously fighting seems to be more important...if his priorities are to fight and go further with that then the OP shouldn't get a CI....not fair for an insurance company to pay for it and it possibly get damaged and then replaced..that's double the cost of a CI ...

That's the thing. This procedure is very expensive. I was told by my audi that its in the ball park of $100,000 - $120,000 for this to be done. Is it really worth it to take a chance on something happening by being slammed on the head and damaging the implant, and then finding out your insurance wont cover it to be fixed because you took a risky chance? But it's your head not mine. only you can make the decision on wether you want to take that risk.

Expensive is putting it mildly. Costs an arm and a leg and and another arm too. I pulled my billing statement up for the entire thing start to finish and it was a little over $95,000. The implanted part itself and nothing else is $44622.00 and thats not counting any surgical expenses to put it in.

if he's so hesitant then wait until he's older and can't fight anymore and then get CI...obviously fighting seems to be more important...if his priorities are to fight and go further with that then the OP shouldn't get a CI....not fair for an insurance company to pay for it and it possibly get damaged and then replaced..that's double the cost of a CI ...

Not to mention Hiking up premiums for future implantee's due to reckless behavior by those who choose not to care for their implants properly as advised from their medical staff..

Okay it sounds impossible to roll after CI...

Wow I feel pretty screwed.

I understand that hearing is more important but I wish you guys wouldn't make it sound as easy as sacrificing a stick of stale bubblegum for better hearing.

It feels like even after CI I will still be depressed despite the many other opportunities that will open up.

I don't think you understand how important jiujitsu is to me.
It's more than just 'fighting' as your tone implies that to you, it must sound like the most unnecessary thing to keep. It's a physical game of chess and it's my favorite game in the whole world that I want to do for the rest of my life.

Not only am I going deaf and blind with usher syndrome, but I also deal with clinical depression.

Jiujitsu is more than just a game as it is my medicine. Understandably, games are not important in life, but medicine is. To top it off, I have a large jiujitsu community that motivate me in life and to give it all up sounds so depressing. The jiujitsu community is my brotherhood of motivating hard working folks that inspire me.

I hate regular sports with a passion but I love martial arts. That's just how my opinion is and nothing will change it.

It now feels like I have 2 options:
Get CI and lose jiujitsu.
OR
Wait 10-20 years for stem cell research to find a cure but cope with deafness until then.

Either way it sounds like I'm going to endure a lot of pain.
In the end, I'll admit it.
CI is more important.
But holy shit it's still depressing, y'know?
It's insulting when you guys make me feel like I'm being a 'reckless' idiot.
I just want to be able to continue something so important to me. Something I thought I could get a job teaching in the future.
But now those dreams seem sabotaged.

Thank you for all your help though.
I guess my next step is to really think about sacrificing jiujitsu.
It will take me awhile.. but please don't make me feel like an idiot.
Thank you for everything.

Okay it sounds impossible to roll after CI...

Wow I feel pretty screwed.

I understand that hearing is more important but I wish you guys wouldn't make it sound as easy as sacrificing a stick of stale bubblegum for better hearing.

It feels like even after CI I will still be depressed despite the many other opportunities that will open up.

I don't think you understand how important jiujitsu is to me.
It's more than just 'fighting' as your tone implies that to you, it must sound like the most unnecessary thing to keep. It's a physical game of chess and it's my favorite game in the whole world that I want to do for the rest of my life.

Not only am I going deaf and blind with usher syndrome, but I also deal with clinical depression.

Jiujitsu is more than just a game as it is my medicine. Understandably, games are not important in life, but medicine is. To top it off, I have a large jiujitsu community that motivate me in life and to give it all up sounds so depressing. The jiujitsu community is my brotherhood of motivating hard working folks that inspire me.

I hate regular sports with a passion but I love martial arts. That's just how my opinion is and nothing will change it.

It now feels like I have 2 options:
Get CI and lose jiujitsu.
OR
Wait 10-20 years for stem cell research to find a cure but cope with deafness until then.

Either way it sounds like I'm going to endure a lot of pain.
In the end, I'll admit it.
CI is more important.
But holy shit it's still depressing, y'know?
It's insulting when you guys make me feel like I'm being a 'reckless' idiot.
I just want to be able to continue something so important to me. Something I thought I could get a job teaching in the future.
But now those dreams seem sabotaged.

Thank you for all your help though.
I guess my next step is to really think about sacrificing jiujitsu.
It will take me awhile.. but please don't make me feel like an idiot.
Thank you for everything.

The hearing isn't that necessary. I am already deaf and going blind from ocular histoplasmosis.

It looks like coming to terms with your Usher syndrome is more important than anything to you at this point.

I think someone else here said do your sport for now and get the implant later if the hearing is important to you. That was good advice.

I don't think there are much if any cochlear surgeons that surf this board, if they do they come rarely. That's the only way to get an official answer; ask someone in the cochlear corporation.

None of the people here with CI's I'm aware of do serious martial arts to the form that it is like MMA style fighting.

I doubt it's as much as the chip, last I knew of there are other conditions to be aware of with having a CI.

I would think, moreso than being the chip, would be the compromised strength of the area in the skull that has been depressed surgically by removing a portion of the thickness of the bone. Would make that area more vulnerable to fracture by the simple fact that the depression results in less thickness.

Though Jiu Jitsu -- with its emphasis on pinning and throwing -- may be rough, it doesn't seem to include the type of head cracking behavior common in football. Especially if tigerbar is well trained already and it's something of an art form. That is unless I'm mistaken and they are doing direct head smashes into the floor or wall, of course.

CI kids do play football:
Helmets and cochlear implants - Wellsphere

But again, I wouldn't be encouraging my child, whether or not he or she has a CI, to be participating in head smashing activities where concussions happen regularly: Concussions and Head Injuries in Football - The New York Times .

Though Jiu Jitsu -- with its emphasis on pinning and throwing -- may be rough, it doesn't seem to include the type of head cracking behavior common in football. Especially if tigerbar is well trained already and it's something of an art form. That is unless I'm mistaken and they are doing direct head smashes into the floor or wall, of course.

CI kids do play football:
Helmets and cochlear implants - Welsphere

But again, I wouldn't be encouraging my child, whether or not he or she has a CI, to be participating in head smashing activities where concussions happen regularly: Concussions and Head Injuries in Football - The New York Times .

Actually, even if it does involving pinning or locks there are throws involved and to protect yourself you do this ukemi which a roll after you are thrown to protect yourself. But then again you could get thrown into a wall a few times. But use of the Bokken or wooden sword, or a Bo (wooden staff) in practice, especially in more advanced students with the Bo, you will get knocked in the head a few times. Now, getting into a randori session (multiple attacking) with your partners as your "opponents" then certainly the risk can go up getting hit in the head.

Certainly there is risk involved.

ABut use of the Bokken or wooden sword, or a Bo (wooden staff) in practice, especially in more advanced students with the Bo, you will get knocked in the head a few times. Now, getting into a randori session (multiple attacking) with your partners as your "opponents" then certainly the risk can go up getting hit in the head.

OK, jiu jitsu now gets added to the DO NOT DO list for Li-Li :) I'm just going to have to roll her in packing beans and run in front of her everywhere.

I think it will be harder for you to be deafblind then for you to be without jiu jitsu...your jiu jitsu is the same as cheer is for me..I don't wanna give it up I love it..been doin it for 11 years..but if I had to give it up for my hearing..I would

If you take a kick to the head where the implant is you may cause injury or damage to the unit. There may be some protective head gear you can wear to minimize the risk. Also I can't imagine that you would be able to actually use the CI during a bout.

Back