Cochlear Implant Webcast

drkoo1030

Reaction score
Came across this live webcast which i found to be interesting.

A cochlear implant surgery will be performed live over the Internet from Tampa General Hospital on July 26, 2007 at 4 PM EDT live from Tampa General Hospital.Children deaf at birth, or who become deaf shortly after birth, can often develop normal language abilities by the age of 3 or 4 if they get a cochlear implant before their first birthday," says Dr. Bartels. Adults who have lost all or most of their hearing later in life can also benefit from the implants. "In our experience, at least 70 – 80% of cochlear implant recipients lost their hearing after learning to speak," he says. During the webcast viewers also have the opportunity to send questions directly to the OR where a surgeon will provide an on camera response.

Thanks for letting us know. We'll have to keep bumping this post up so we don't forget.

How many hours is EDT time away from Greenwich Mean Time? I need to calculate when I can catch this in Australia. I'm not sure if I'd wake up at 3am for it though.

Thanks for letting us know. We'll have to keep bumping this post up so we don't forget.

How many hours is EDT time away from Greenwich Mean Time? I need to calculate when I can catch this in Australia. I'm not sure if I'd wake up at 3am for it though.
Yeah wait till 7 days then do a "bump" post instead of bumping each day LOL :D

R2D2,

Visit this link:

Time Zone Converter

In the first box, highlight "America/New York." (Eastern time zone) In the second, highlight your city in Australia.

Hope this helps! :)

Guys this is tomorrow thought Id bump it.Hope I didnt step on any toes in doing so!

My computer doesn't like Real Player (neither do I, but that's a rant for another time). I'm hoping I can grab it after the webcast is done, at which point I'll probably convert it to a nicer format. If anyone wants a copy, let me know.

about an hour from now!

ALSO A FYI: It is Closed Captioned!

I watched almost the whole thing, had to turn away for a few minutes.
There was no CC for me. It must be something with my computer?
I missed what the two doctors were talking about. :-(

I watched almost the whole thing, had to turn away for a few minutes.
There was no CC for me. It must be something with my computer?
I missed what the two doctors were talking about. :-(

There was a link below the video area to enable the CC, when clicked, a window will pop up and will start showing caption in white font with black background. That was available during the actual Live webcast.

The live webcast has been archived and can be replayed. I don't know if the "Replay" will be captioned within the video itself since the link to enable CC is not there.

however, I have saved the CC text so it is attached below in case you do not see the cc in archived webcast...

Attachments

• CI_Surgery.zip
    21 KB · Views: 4
In that case, I'll leave it be - I'm not going to interfere with their right to control their IP if it's available for use. Thanks, Boult.

Back