Cochlear Implant Surgery Photos *Warning - Graphical*

ravensteve1961 said:
Yes i have for 38 years with an hearing aid. I heard very nicely. I developed speech though my hearing. If you never heard before chances are you used sign and never spoken a word out of your mouth.

sorry peeps i have to say something to him!

it is not true that if you cant hear.. you cant speak?? i am very profound.. (11O db) but i can SPEAK and ppl say i have excellent speech.. thanks to my therapist... and i know many people with similar experiences so stop this BULL HEADED NONSENSE!!! you dont know anything!! did your mom keep you locked up in a closet all your life or something!?? eh?? i wonder!!?? :confused: hmmm!!

ravensteve1961 said:
Yes i have for 38 years with an hearing aid. I heard very nicely. I developed speech though my hearing. If you never heard before chances are you used sign and never spoken a word out of your mouth.

Raven, you really need to check facts before spewing out such statements.

I have a db of 105 on both ears and I was placed on speech therapy at age of 18 months. Through consistent and intensive therapy, I was able to master speaking. I went through schools on my own, not relying on interpreters or any special services.

You need to know that there are many subcultures within Deaf Community and each person is unique in their own education/background.

To this day, I speak because of my memory, not sounds. Needless to say, I would have a much more clearer speech if I could hear because sometimes I forget how to pronounce a certain word because it has been a while since I had a speech therapy session.

Meg said:
Guys, I went through that surgery last March and I am still alive to this day :)

I know it is gross but so are heart surgeries, brain surgeries, and so on that drs perform on children.

These anti-CI folks are plastering these pictures everywhere to convince that it is DANGEROUS to perform a CI surgery on children but have you ever heard anyone dying from these surgeries like other surgeries?

Well, Meg. Anyone can die from any surgery, but I get your point. :)

People need to make up their own minds about the CI, and I don't think it's right for someone to put graphic pictures on the internet merely for shock value or to vilify (sp?) the procedure. I will confess that I have strong opinions about CI implantation, especially in young children. However, each person has to make that decision for themselves. You can't force an opinion down someone's throat whether you are FOR OR AGAINST CI implantation.

As for how graphic something is, though...I clicked the link, and wasn't grossed out. :lol:

If you guys want to see gross, watch a face lift being done! All I can say is ....OMIGOD! :eek:

Meg said:
Raven, you really need to check facts before spewing out such statements.

I have a db of 105 on both ears and I was placed on speech therapy at age of 18 months. Through consistent and intensive therapy, I was able to master speaking. I went through schools on my own, not relying on interpreters or any special services.

You need to know that there are many subcultures within Deaf Community and each person is unique in their own education/background.

To this day, I speak because of my memory, not sounds. Needless to say, I would have a much more clearer speech if I could hear because sometimes I forget how to pronounce a certain word because it has been a while since I had a speech therapy session.

see raven!! her experience is like mine!!
my my!! you have been LOCKED UP too long by your parents!! sheesh!!

Oceanbreeze said:
Well, Meg. Anyone can die from any surgery, but I get your point. :)

People need to make up their own minds about the CI, and I don't think it's right for someone to put graphic pictures on the internet merely for shock value or to vilify (sp?) the procedure. I will confess that I have strong opinions about CI implantation, especially in young children. However, each person has to make that decision for themselves. You can't force an opinion down someone's throat whether you are FOR OR AGAINST CI implantation.

As for how graphic something is, though...I clicked the link, and wasn't grossed out. :lol:

If you guys want to see gross, watch a face lift being done! All I can say is ....OMIGOD! :eek:

i dont see any pictures??

zesty said:
sorry peeps i have to say something to him!

it is not true that if you cant hear.. you cant speak?? i am very profound.. (11O db) but i can SPEAK and ppl say i have excellent speech.. thanks to my therapist... and i know many people with similar experiences so stop this BULL HEADED NONSENSE!!! you dont know anything!! did your mom keep you locked up in a closet all your life or something!?? eh?? i wonder!!?? :confused: hmmm!!

Okay, Zesty...Breathe girl, breathe. ;)

Oceanbreeze said:
Okay, Zesty...Breathe girl, breathe. ;)

ahhh hooo heee heee ahhh!! ahhh hooo heee heee ahhh!! ahhh hooo heee heee ahhh!!

still no friggin picture!! LOL

zesty said:
i dont see any pictures??

Erm...They were somewhere, Zesty...Check the original link, I believe????? :dunno: Now. Or, maybe, I've just lost my mind, again? ;)

Edit: Zesty. Go to the beginning of this thread, and click the link. The pics are there. :)

Oceanbreeze said:
Erm...They were somewhere, Zesty...Check the original link, I believe????? :dunno: Now. Or, maybe, I've just lost my mind, again? ;)

or maybe i lost my eyesight temporarily due to my insanity?? :giggle:
anyone offer to help us out?? pretty please!??

zesty said:
or maybe i lost my eyesight temporarily due to my insanity?? :giggle:
anyone offer to help us out?? pretty please!??

:lol: Check the edit of my other post. I went back and looked, and the link is at the beginning of this thread. Hope this helped. :)

Oceanbreeze said:
:lol: Check the edit of my other post. I went back and looked, and the link is at the beginning of this thread. Hope this helped. :)

i am lost?? sorry it is not my day? :tears: :confused:

zesty said:
i am lost?? sorry it is not my day? :tears: :confused:

Aww, okay. Well, the pics were pretty graphic, so if don't have the stomach for it, probably is best you didn't see them.

Personally, I could handle it, but like I said, I draw the line at seeing a facelift being performed. I'll spare you guys the details, but it's nasty. :barf:

Ewwww. That was so gross. Seeing all that blood and the wires in there. EEEWWWWWWWWW. I can't imagine seeing it live.

wow this is new to me... im CI user but never really view this from other point of view... never seen it being done... yes it is gross but i was more curious of how it was being done... really interesting...

ravensteve1961 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble...I learned to SPEAK before I learned to sign!! And get this... I WAS BORN DEAF!!!!

Don't generalize us.

i almost got CI before I started high school in 2002, but the doctors refused to perform the surgery on me, just because I have cerebral palsy.

rjr2006: I know several adults who have been implanted and have CP. Perhaps you could go to a different CI center for surgery?

Least these pictures are not going to end up on an Ogrish type of site. Something very positive came out of these pictures.

Richard

FeistyChick said:
ahhh hooo heee heee ahhh!! ahhh hooo heee heee ahhh!! ahhh hooo heee heee ahhh!!

still no friggin picture!! LOL

Are you going through labor? :)

Back