Cochlear Implant myths?

I think too that insurance companies covered them initially b/c while they were really expensive not a lot of people qualified for them.
Rose Red, that's why dhh can also fit in with Disabilty Rights style defintition of disabilty. I just don't get it. Why is it SO bad to give a blind kid Braille skills as well as the abilty to use their residual vision, why is it so bad to give kids with orthaedic issues keyboarding skills, (for poor fine motor) or the use of a cane or a crutch or even a wheelchair?

You are correct, DD. In the early days, there was no such thing as infant implantation. The only ones that could even begin to qualify were adults, and many of them simply weren't even interested in qualifying, as now.

I think there are ~3-4 who post pretty regularly here who received CIs as adults not long after losing their hearing, either due to accidents/illness, or due to hearing loss that first appeared when they were teens or adults. Many here and elsewhere who have that ability to compare to recent memory, at least those I've seen, report that -- after an initial period of time when they hear beeps and buzzes and then everyone sounds like a Disney character or a woman with a high-pitched voice -- sounds and voices are close to what they remember -- with the exception of music, I think quite a few don't find the same as they remember.

They are not a clinicially significant minority, though is what I mean. When you are trying to make generalisations about something on a global perspective you need thousands if not tens of thousands of people to be surveyed in a routine manner and all data fed back for analysis to a single point before reporting. You can always round up a few people from any population who can share individual experiences and they are always useful, but in terms of how many CI recipients have very recent (within the previous 12 months) experience of completley normal hearing, it's not a large number of overall users, and data collected afterwards tends to focus on whether or not the hearing itself is an improvement, objective data like aided audiogram. It's hard to collect objective data on sound quality.

I already hear everyone in an unusual manner, lots of people sound like Donald Duck or more particularly Daleks and Cybermen, but before I had an audi who was prepared to work this way I heard people as "normally" as possible but got very little actual information. I'd rather everyone sounds like the Chipmunks and I know what they are trying to tell me. Almost everyone sounds deaf too, as my hearing aids make a "deaf accent" on everybody. I guess I just assume nobody sounds the way I hear them... and I don't do impressions! :giggle:

Right-seeing through solid walls- only in one's imagination. Has nothing to do with vision.
Question for Banjo: would a Cochlear Implant helps the "blind see"?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Like he said... it's a myth :/

Right a myth. Does replacing one's skull bone with plexiglass-shaded- a myth also?
Are surgical details available from pfh- especially the secret ones for self surgery? Neat- really smile-all the money saved- if successful
!
The only caveat: what to fill the "empty space" up there with?

Myth: Doctors fill people's skulls with marbles during the surgery. Although this might be disputed in some, possibly rare cases.

Myth: Doctors fill people's skulls with marbles during the surgery. Although this might be disputed in some, possibly rare cases.

I can think of one. But we would have to have pre-implant and post-implant data to determine if the marbles were there prior or are the result of surgery.:giggle:

Cochlear Implants are the "cause" in decrease currently in" cultural deaf groups".

There is no decrease...and therefore, no cause to be determined. That is not a myth...just a debunking of the popular myth that CI proponents say is the reason the Deaf hate CI.

Cochlear Implants are the "cause" in decrease currently in" cultural deaf groups".

There is no decrease...and therefore, no cause to be determined. That is not a myth...just a debunking of the popular myth that CI proponents say is the reason the Deaf hate CI.

He is writing a myth. He did a good job there.

Is the above post from Jillio what is called one's self filter in action? Not sure how this fits into the thinking style-high vs low etc for persons with even with" self defined hearing loss"?

Is the above post from Jillio what is called one's self filter in action? Not sure how this fits into the thinking style-high vs low etc for persons with even with" self defined hearing loss"?

No, it's called heuristics.

How does bad programme interpretation fit the definition of "heuristics"-"proceeding by trial and error"? Doesn't one's prior thinking-filter-fit better?

Back