Cochlear implant mends lives

If you are working with ci children and have to ask that question, then that is frightening!

And you are the one that claims that CI and oral environment allows a child to fully integrate into the hearing world. She is simply calling you and the other strict oralists on your ridiculas claims.

Agree with you Neecy.

The interaction between parent and child, deaf or hearing, is a vital and important componnent for any child's language development.
Rick

So why would you use an approach that hinders that?

Exactly what is the difference between acquiring a language and learning a language?

Learning is a direct activity, acqusition is done peripherally and without conscious effort. One leads to native fluency, the other only leads to various levels of comeptency. And having to ask that question only indicates that you are not as well informed as you would like to believe.

Learning is a direct activity, acqusition is done peripherally and without conscious effort. One leads to native fluency, the other only leads to various levels of comeptency. And having to ask that question only indicates that you are not as well informed as you would like to believe.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. (I'm going to be a paraeducator myself :) )

Well, he does act like a salesperson and ignores what anyone else says about it.

So why would you use an approach that hinders that?

I did not, so do not know why you directed your response towards me? We fully intereacted with our child and were involved with her language development.

Understand the concepts just wanted to make certain as to the terminology. Thus, using your terminology our daughter learned spoken English and with her ci was able to acquire it as well.

And you are the one that claims that CI and oral environment allows a child to fully integrate into the hearing world. She is simply calling you and the other strict oralists on your ridiculas claims.

Since it does and has been allowing some children to do so for approximately 20 years it is surprising that a person who claims to be a good teacher of deaf children would not already be aware of that. I would think a truly great and motivated teacher would attempt to learn (and acquire) all she could about those children who are fully intergated so that she could use those concepts with the children assigned to her.

I did not, so do not know why you directed your response towards me? We fully intereacted with our child and were involved with her language development.

Well, aren't you just special? And as a result, your daughter functions at the same level academically and socially as her hearing peers?

Understand the concepts just wanted to make certain as to the terminology. Thus, using your terminology our daughter learned spoken English and with her ci was able to acquire it as well.

Nope, you do not learn and acquire at the same time. Different processes. And trying to change my words to make them say what you want them to doesn't change the facts.

Since it does and has been allowing some children to do so for approximately 20 years it is surprising that a person who claims to be a good teacher of deaf children would not already be aware of that. I would think a truly great and motivated teacher would attempt to learn (and acquire) all she could about those children who are fully intergated so that she could use those concepts with the children assigned to her.[/QUO

And you have just blown your own point. If they were fully integrated intothe hearing world, and were able to hear as ahearing person does, special accommodations would not be necessary. But people like you want to claim that their child functions the same as a hearing child, and then ask for special accommodations. You can't have it both ways. So, if you want special accommodations, you must admit that your first premise, that CI makes your child functionally hearing, is incorrect.

Well, aren't you just special? And as a result, your daughter functions at the same level academically and socially as her hearing peers?

No, not special at all, just the parents of a ci kid who is like many others who "functions at the same level academically and socially as her hearing peers".

If you knew anything about ci kids then you would know that.

Nope, you do not learn and acquire at the same time. Different processes. And trying to change my words to make them say what you want them to doesn't change the facts.

I did not say it was being done at the same time so please stop "trying to change my words to make them say what you want them to". However, I can think of situations wherein "learning" and "acquiring" can be accomplished simultaneously.

Since it does and has been allowing some children to do so for approximately 20 years it is surprising that a person who claims to be a good teacher of deaf children would not already be aware of that. I would think a truly great and motivated teacher would attempt to learn (and acquire) all she could about those children who are fully intergated so that she could use those concepts with the children assigned to her.[/QUO

And you have just blown your own point. If they were fully integrated intothe hearing world, and were able to hear as ahearing person does, special accommodations would not be necessary. But people like you want to claim that their child functions the same as a hearing child, and then ask for special accommodations. You can't have it both ways. So, if you want special accommodations, you must admit that your first premise, that CI makes your child functionally hearing, is incorrect.

Sorry although you may still cling to such antiquated notions that reasonable accomodations means you are not fully integrated into your community, thank God many enlighted persons do not. Man, where do you come up with these ideas? And you say that you are not biased towards cochlear implants?

Again, you just do not get it. The ci is a tool that can provide some, not all, with the opportunity to hear sounds and to be able to develop those sounds into speech recogniton and possibly the ability to speak. The ci is not for everyone but everyone should have the right to choose the ci for either themselves or for their children.

Sorry although you may still cling to such antiquated notions that reasonable accomodations means you are not fully integrated into your community, thank God many enlighted persons do not. Man, where do you come up with these ideas? And you say that you are not biased towards cochlear implants?

Again, you just do not get it. The ci is a tool that can provide some, not all, with the opportunity to hear sounds and to be able to develop those sounds into speech recogniton and possibly the ability to speak. The ci is not for everyone but everyone should have the right to choose the ci for either themselves or for their children.

And that is exactly what shel, dd, and I have been saying -all along. And I came up with these ideas through your posts. You are the one that claimed your daughter was fully integrated into the hearing world both educationally and socially. And accommodations do not = full accommodation. I am not biased toward CI. I am biased toward the type of thought process that thinks that the CI implanted orally educated child with accommodations has been so fully integrated that he/she functions on the same level educationally and socially as his/her hearing peers. You have made the claim that it is so any number of times in any number of threads. And yes, everyone has the right to choose. But with that choice comes the responsibility of accepting both negative and positive consequences of such.

No, not special at all, just the parents of a ci kid who is like many others who "functions at the same level academically and socially as her hearing peers".

If you knew anything about ci kids then you would know that.

rick, I work with CI kids every single day of my life. And none of them function linguistically at the same level as their hearing peers, not do the majority of CI students across the United States. Perhaps your daughter is one of the few that does, but that still does not imply that all CI implantees will function at that level not that they ever will. Not as long as CI is used to promote the oral phisosophy in education. Despite 20 years of CI, the students are still functioning below the level expected of age matched groups of hearing peers. For you to claim that it isn't so is absolutely absurd. And if you knew anything about deaf education, or deaf children as a group, you would know that.

I did not say it was being done at the same time so please stop "trying to change my words to make them say what you want them to". However, I can think of situations wherein "learning" and "acquiring" can be accomplished simultaneously.

Once again, it is not the same process. You obviosuly are attempting to dispute something of which you ahve no knowledge, not any desire to gain knowledge.

Agree with you Neecy.

The interaction between parent and child, deaf or hearing, is a vital and important componnent for any child's language development.
Rick

That is what we are saying too but u are arguing with us about it. Doesnt make sense..

Back