Cochlear Implant issue

ksampson

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. I am profoundly deaf; wear a bte aid in my left ear and have a cochlear implant in my right; implanted in 2004. To make a long story short, I haven't been able to successfully have my CI continuously reprogrammed so I could hear better and perhaps understand speech. I deal with dizziness when this is done and some of the electrodes have been turned off because of this. Now the physicians at the clinic I go to are suggesting possibly "killing" the vestibular nerve in hopes of counteracting the dizziness so my device can be programmed in higher frequencies. They cannot guarantee the results, of course and I would be dealing with balance issues.

Is there anyone that has gone through this. I need some input on deciding what should be done.

Thanks.

Kath

I am new to this forum. I am profoundly deaf; wear a bte aid in my left ear and have a cochlear implant in my right; implanted in 2004. To make a long story short, I haven't been able to successfully have my CI continuously reprogrammed so I could hear better and perhaps understand speech. I deal with dizziness when this is done and some of the electrodes have been turned off because of this. Now the physicians at the clinic I go to are suggesting possibly "killing" the vestibular nerve in hopes of counteracting the dizziness so my device can be programmed in higher frequencies. They cannot guarantee the results, of course and I would be dealing with balance issues.

Is there anyone that has gone through this. I need some input on deciding what should be done.

Thanks.

Kath

I know of people who've gone through this as part of treatment for Meniere's-related balance issues, but haven't heard of it being done for anyone with a CI or someone who does not already have balance issues. Given that there aren't a large # of CI people here, relatively speaking, have you considered reaching out to the various CI-specific online forums? Can your clinic provide contact info so you can discuss with those who have had the same surgery?

I just had surgery for my right and i was dizzy for a few days, but nothing like you have. Been implanted for years and never had a issue with dizziness by my implants. But if this is continuously, I would do what Post from hell said, explant.
Balance is not something to mess with.

Some people DO have extreme, prolonged dizziness after surgery.

To the OP, having your CI removed IS an option. However, if you don't want to do that just yet, you can try some things. I DO know a person you can talk to. However, this person is no longer on AD. I can try contacting her for you and see if she is willing to talk to you. Her husband was implanted a few years ago and had extreme dizziness after surgery that DID NOT go away. I'm not sure what was done about it, though. Sounds like "killing" the vestibular nerve may be an option, but that sounds extreme....

I know of people who've gone through this as part of treatment for Meniere's-related balance issues, but haven't heard of it being done for anyone with a CI or someone who does not already have balance issues. Given that there aren't a large # of CI people here, relatively speaking, have you considered reaching out to the various CI-specific online forums? Can your clinic provide contact info so you can discuss with those who have had the same surgery?
This is good advice.

Back