Cochlear implant experiences

deafcanuck

Reaction score
Hello Folks I've recently gone completely deaf, looking for others to share their experiences regarding the whole implant journey. I'm from Ontario Canada. So far I've only been referred
to a surgeon as my ENT seems to think I'd be a good candidate. I also suffer from sever tinnitus which my GP just gives me sleeping pills for. Better than nothing i guess! Otherwise I'm unable to get any sleep at all. In Canada, the program for implants is severely underfunded. The surgeons office told me that "I should not expect to hear from them for a good long time." In other words you're at their mercy and don't call them bugging for information. Some estimates are 1-3 years wait, even though it goes against the governments standard of care. Any advice or stories you can share would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to communicating with everyone here.

Hi, I'm from Alberta, Canada. :)

Not sure if it depends on age, and I've been told they do more implants to kids especially babies.

I got my first implant done when I was 12. And I was told I had to wait 5 years till they would consider me for another implant in my other ear. But I guess they changed it, to so you have to be under 18 (legal age for Alberta) to recieve 2 implants.

My friend got bilateral implants within 2 years, and for me, I had to wait 5 years - when they just changed it. If I waited any longer, then I apparently wouldn't be allowed to get a second implant.

So I'm guessing they are choosy to who receives them and under the right "criteria" too.

I wish you best of luck! You mentioned ENT, but wondering if you had an audiologist? Maybe they could be of more help. Unless that's what ENT does too (my mom had both for some reason) so not too sure haha.

Back