ClubDeaf a ripoff?

Is Clubdeaf.com a ripoff?

• Its a ripoff

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • I find it useful

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Don't have a webcam, can't use it anyway.

• Dunno

• Total voters

bree

Reaction score
There is a new deaf site out that offers videoconferencing.
The catch is that the videoconferencing costs $15 a month.

As a Mac user, I already have iChat AV, included with their newest OS. iChat provides fullscreen, high quality videoconferencing, and connects users through AIM.
It is also completely free to use.

Is there anything similar to this in windows? netmeeting to the best of my knowledge won't really do fast, or fullscreen video.
If there isn't anything, this site MIGHT be worth it, but considering the costs just to access it, it seems funny.
requirements:
computer = $$$
webcam = $ (40 - 150) (they only seem to be compatible with a few webcams)
broadband = $ (30 to 80) per month.
After all that, I have to pay again monthly?

Another curious thing is that they claim right on their front page that their software will provide 30 fps (frames per second, this is basically video quality) without any sort of disclaimer. As people's network, webcams, computers, etc vary, I really don't see how they can state this for certain.

So, from my point of view, the site does seem like a ripoff. Could be wrong, but.. $15 per month vs free is a no brainer.

I've never seen or heard of this but you know what, I'd rather go out and socialize with the Deafies myself since I am incredibly extrovered. Being a "people" person and being involved with my local Deaf club, I'd prefer the socializing part. :cool:

That would be useful for some deafies who would like to hold a videoconference across different states. But to the best of my knowledge, the quality isn't very good unless you have an expensive setup and connection, am I right? I assume for hearing people, the quality wouldn't matter much but for deaf people, it certainly would.

I have done something similar before, but in this case, it was a service provided by TAFE and it was over a phone connection, not a computer connection. I'm not too sure what it was called though.

Ziusudra said:
That would be useful for some deafies who would like to hold a videoconference across different states. But to the best of my knowledge, the quality isn't very good unless you have an expensive setup and connection, am I right? I assume for hearing people, the quality wouldn't matter much but for deaf people, it certainly would.

Video conferencing at the quality the deaf need has been very expensive, but costs have been dropping a lot. Webcams are now of very good quality, at good prices. Apple has been pitching their own webcam called 'iSight'. It is over priced at $150 (comparable webcams run around 60-80), but it seems to be pretty close to a videocam in quality. Broadband (DSL and Cable internet) has also become popular recently, so that gives you good connection speeds.
Problem has been that while the hardware and connection speeds have gotten better, the software has been kind of sucky, and limited in video quality. Both iChat and Clubdeaf's Sightspeed software resolve this problem. As I mentioned before, both offer resolutions pretty close to video quality, and fullscreen pictures.

There was an interesting, if shallow review of using deaf people using video conferencing awhile back.

It definitely is a rip off -- there are other software that can be used for free -- of course, with the pc OS, they often come with their own such as NetMeeting...MSN messenger supports webconferencing with their software, etc.
Plus what's more...I only use webconferencing with my family/friends who live overseas in USA...sometimes with some local mates, if they needed to see something or I see what they've gotten and so forth. Heh...
More of meeting in person is the best way. ;)

Another viewpoint

I do respect the feedback on this list, but wish to add some more information. The question is a little unfair, how does one define a ripoff? The facts are:

Yes there are free alternatives, like NetMeeting and IChat. NetMeeting is inferior software that cannot provide the quality deaf people need. IChat is similar to SightSpeed software, but only can be used by people with Macintosh OS X or newer. This limits their usefulness. The comment was made that it is not likely it can do the speeds advertised of 30 frames per second. As long as the system requirements are met, virtually the same as all the VRS companies require, the quality will be that good. Inferior equipment will slow it down, but many deaf already have the necessary equipment for using VRS so they should not find this a problem. The SightSpeed software can be used easily by Windows users and will soon be ready for Mac use as well. If you check the SightSpeed website, they offer it to consumers for unlimited use (same as ClubDeaf.com) for 29.95 per month. ClubDeaf.com was able to negotiate a bulk rate to offer it for much less.

ClubDeaf.com also offers much more, a portal with email, calendar, deaf event listings and deaf news, as well as other features you can customize on your own. It is also soon to have business listings so deaf people can support deaf and deaf friendly businesses. It also is set to begin airing original programming you can't find anywhere else, such as workshops, plays and other performances.

With all of this, I think you will not find it a rip off, we do respect that some people are not ready for this equipment wise or cannot afford it. We are working on a deal with relay companies that should allow us to offer this for free, it is our hope to do that, but at this time bills have to be paid and this seems like a reasonable fee to charge. Thanks for considering these facts.

free or not i wouldn't download anything cuz i have enuff forums and im just fine with what i have... simple is better fancy is just show offs!

Back