Closed Captioning on CBS lately

With Analog TV the captions are imbedded in video itself and so it always in sync with the video unless someone mistiming the caption when adding it to the video.

With Digital TV

Video and Audio and Caption all have it own tracks seperately so if it not in sync they can seem to either be delayed or going too fast. Same with audio can be delay or going too fast.

So many networks are still learning how to take old analog programming and covert it to digital signal.

When networks convert it to digital it seperate the video audio and caption to it own tracks that networks may have send it over air or on cable out of sync so all seem to be delayed from each tracks

I am sure networks check video and audio tracks carefully but probably did not think about checking caption track too to make sure it in sync too!!!!!

So networks are still learning and it will improve but always let your networks know when it not in sync to remind networks to check the closed caption track to make sure it in sync with video.

Yeah, when I watched CSI show, the caption tend to lag... (amiss, then too fast) then stopped working momentarily. I sure hope they get it fixed cuz I'd hate to miss what the show is saying. :)

When I watch Law and Order on NBC, the caption works fine, and in any other broadcaster channels works fine as well. :hmm:

I've noticed this problem with CBS. Is this a universal problem (happening with both DirectTV and cable)?

CBS in my area used to have serious CC issues but not anymore. I use Over the Air (OTA) antenna, not cable or satellite. All of my local stations are 100% digital (HDTV or SDTV). I contacted my local CBS station and they worked hard to fix it. I don't think it's a nationwide problem. If others are having CC issues in different locations, then it's most likely a local area problem.

I watched CSI last night and it was perfect.

Contact your local station or subscriber and hopefully they will be helpful to resolve CC issue.

Peter

That's good. How are the ABC primetime programs working for you? Any delay?

Now you mention it. I rarely watch ABC shows because they kind of suck but I have tried to watch "Castle" and their CC is delayed pretty bad. But some other ABC shows seem to be fine but I can't be sure. If CC behaviour is different in different shows, then CC issues are likely from the shows or studios, not the local stations.

Peter

Fox 8 in N.E. Ohio is so bad it's insulting. I contacted the station and they have done nothing about it. Maybe I should contact the FCC.

Fox CC in Reno, NV is pretty bad during non-prime-time shows (mostly re-runs like Seinfeld, Simpsons and Everybody Loves Raymond).

But Fox CC is excellent for primetime High Def shows ("24", House, Bones, Fringe).

Very strange.

Peter

I notice on this when watching Jay Leno on the tonight show,the CC are really delayed! It is hard to keep up what going on! I have called the station a few time to tell them there is no no CC and I am watching the news. Most of the time it get fixed right away. Jay is on NBC channel 7 where I live.

Folks, if you're seeing consistent problems with captions from one or more local stations, you can now file a complaint with the FCC directly about the caption problems you are seeing with each station. The caption problems are probably due to technical problems that the local station has not adequately addressed---NOT the national network---but it looks like most people on this thread did not realize that. If the caption problems were with the national network, then people all over the country would report the exact same problems, and they're not doing so. What *is* known is that stations can have technical problems that mess up the transmission of the captions.

Now that the FCC can receive complaints directly, they will then refer the complaint to the responsible party (the station or the pay TV service provider). I'm hoping that the responsible party will then be much more likely to follow through on investigation the captioning problem when they have been formally put on notice by the FCC that there's a problem with the captioning.

See the following FCC pages for more information (including how to file the complaint):

FCC

and

Closed Captioning

Sometimes I get garbling CC or white boxes instead on the cable. I just move the channel one up. Like channel 13 moved up to 13-1 for High Def. which solved the problems. I think you get more CC problems with analog but no problem with HD. Anyway with HD, the picture is crystal clear.

Please, let me know if it works for you or not.

I think all CBS' Fall shows don't have captioning for me.

Hawaii 5-0 and Mike and Molly didn't have a stich of captioning in them. But I was able to get captioning on FOX and ABC.

I contacted my cable company and they told me that it's the network, that sometimes they don't offer it.....does that make any sense to everyone? I thought they had to have it?

I think all CBS' Fall shows don't have captioning for me.

Hawaii 5-0 and Mike and Molly didn't have a stich of captioning in them. But I was able to get captioning on FOX and ABC.

I contacted my cable company and they told me that it's the network, that sometimes they don't offer it.....does that make any sense to everyone? I thought they had to have it?

I can't believe Hawaii 5-0 is back on TV , I guess people are running out of idea for new shows .

Some of my favorite shows are on CBS and the Closed Captioning either doesn't work or its seriously delayed, anyone else having this problem?

Really problem Caption closed? you report to FCC complaint! you should complaint to company!

The CC on Jay Leno show are really bad , they have real long delay in showing up and never match with what people are talking about .

Back