Closed captioner writes up history

Wow... that's amazing! I can only type up to 100 words per minute! Damn!

VamPyroX said:
Wow... that's amazing! I can only type up to 100 words per minute! Damn!

You probably use a keyboard like the rest of us, where it's one character per keystroke. Captioners are like court reporters; they use a special chording keyboard with many possible "chords" struck in the time it takes to type one character on a regular typewriter-style keyboard.

Very interesting story.

Thanks for sharing.

jejones3141 said:
You probably use a keyboard like the rest of us, where it's one character per keystroke. Captioners are like court reporters; they use a special chording keyboard with many possible "chords" struck in the time it takes to type one character on a regular typewriter-style keyboard.
Yeah, I know about that. I've had those for class. :)

Some of the captioning systems are gradually using the new stenomask systems. (Captioned Telephone at http://www.captionedtelephone.com uses the new stenomask system with voice recognition).

Stenomask is a special mask with a microphone (to keep background noises away) where an operator clearly speaks into a computer pre-trained for fast voice recognition to his/her voice. This new system can go something like 200 words per minute at about 95% accuracy, not too different from the stenotype machines traditionally used.

Voice recognition is not good enough for speaker-independence, but it is now finally good enough for high-speed closed captioning by a trained operator and a computer that's familiar with his/her voice.

Back