closed caption on digital channels

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
hey- my parents bought a brand new 42 inches flat plasma t.v.

and yeah they have satelite dish.. okay my question here.......

with digital channels through satelite the closed captions aren't allowed to use on those.. and they say must use analog channels.. this really ticks me off.. because analog channels don't look good on those flat plasma t.v. the picture quality isn't good.. and when its on digital channel programs the closed caption isn't featured to turn on. so i was forced to change to analog channel every time i get there to enjoy watching t.v. with closed captions but with lousy picture quality.

any of you had this experience.. how to overcome this?

with digital channels through satelite the closed captions aren't allowed to use on those.. and they say must use analog channels.. this really ticks me off.. because analog channels don't look good on those flat plasma t.v. the picture quality isn't good.. and when its on digital channel programs the closed caption isn't featured to turn on. so i was forced to change to analog channel every time i get there to enjoy watching t.v. with closed captions but with lousy picture quality.

No i haven't had the experience of that... but however, the digital broadcast will be airing on Feb 2009 that will works with digital closed captioned but not before! Just hang on with that... We had Digital TV and we tried to turn the digital closed captioned and it does not working until the digital broadcast will be airing on Feb 2009 and they will turn the closed captioned on with digital broadcast in the air. That's weird tho!

First of all, does your tv have digital CC? The original CC opiton like this
CC1
CC2
CC3
CC4

but for digital CC opiton like this
Digital 1
Digital 2
Digital 3
Digital 4

I do believe Directv HD receiever does have CC and digital CC opitions

If your tv does have it, You need to use compoent or hdmi cable in order to display digital CC

What's brand of dish that you own? Dish or Directv? Both of them have own CC decode supported.

FYI, some digital shows don't support CC and try find different shows or different channel if you can get CC.

What's brand of dish that you own? Dish or Directv? Both of them have own CC decode supported.

FYI, some digital shows don't support CC and try find different shows or different channel if you can get CC.
That's correct. Damn, only one local channel WCHD doesn't support digital CC but only new shows such as smallville will be support digital cc.

All televisions made since 1990 have to have, by federal law, the capability for closed captioning, no if's, and's or but's. There are some channels that have programs that are not captioned; so don't watch them. Now, in the lounge at the dorm where I stay is a plasma tv and, because I play with it, know how to get captioning. What kind of television is it and I'll see if I can walk you through it to get captioning?

That's correct. Damn, only one local channel WCHD doesn't support digital CC but only new shows such as smallville will be support digital cc.

Don't Universal HD support CC now? One member was complained about Universal HD in last 6 month ago.

Don't Universal HD support CC now? One member was complained about Universal HD in last 6 month ago.
Some shows do and other shows don't in UniversalHD. I love watching Monster HD but no cc at all. I'm pissed off.

All televisions made since 1990 have to have, by federal law, the capability for closed captioning, no if's, and's or but's. There are some channels that have programs that are not captioned; so don't watch them. Now, in the lounge at the dorm where I stay is a plasma tv and, because I play with it, know how to get captioning. What kind of television is it and I'll see if I can walk you through it to get captioning?
its sony brand

what i'm saying is.. they do have closed caption in its television.. but the digital channels will not allow any closed caption (for all channels).. only analog channels(for all channels too as well) will work.

and that t.v. isn't mine.. the dish isn't mine.. its my parents the satelitte brand is Dishnetwork.

what i had to do is click menu settings then click closed caption.. but in digital mode.. what i do is.. i click menu, then settings, then they say "closed caption isn't the opinion in digital channel mode, please choose analog channel to turn on closed caption"

its sony brand

what i'm saying is.. they do have closed caption in its television.. but the digital channels will not allow any closed caption (for all channels).. only analog channels(for all channels too as well) will work.

and that t.v. isn't mine.. the dish isn't mine.. its my parents the satelitte brand is Dishnetwork.

what i had to do is click menu settings then click closed caption.. but in digital mode.. what i do is.. i click menu, then settings, then they say "closed caption isn't the opinion in digital channel mode, please choose analog channel to turn on closed caption"

I heard that Dish Network have issues with closed captioning via digital signals. I think the issue is the receiver itself not functioning properly. The captioning has to come from a receiver (yes they should have CC settings), not the TV's captioning. I read that on Alldeaf thread about digital captioning.

its sony brand

Didn't you read my #2 post explaining about Digital broadcast in the air which will be turning on by Feb 2009 not before! As for right now, the digital closed captions will not work when analog broadcast still in the air right now. Gotta have to wait until Feb 2009 and then switch from analog to digital closed captions on all TVs prolly automatically but not sure!

Didn't you read my #2 post explaining about Digital broadcast in the air which will be turning on by Feb 2009 not before! As for right now, the digital closed captions will not work when analog broadcast still in the air right now. Gotta have to wait until Feb 2009 and then switch from analog to digital closed captions on all TVs prolly automatically but not sure!
yeah but that seems like foreever.. its almost a year and half to go.

Actually, some digital channels have already provided digital CC earlier than Feb 2009.

I just dropped Directv today and got AT&T everything: phone, tv programming, and Internet--all wirelessly AND fiber optics. Nice to walk anywhere on the property with my lap-top and going wireless....sure beats that 15 foot firewire cable!

Some shows do and other shows don't in UniversalHD. I love watching Monster HD but no cc at all. I'm pissed off.

Oh well, it will take some time to get more support.

I wish that Dish and Directv need offers HD package only, when order online and dropping all SD channels out, such as want be exclusive to HD only to save alot of bandwidth on dish.

I'm HDTV owner and experienced to received poor picture quality on SD channels and want change into all HD package, even I have to watch SD shows on old SDTV in other room to get full quality.

Defmatrixense is right, it has nothing with related to analog signal, it's other story.

There's digital CC support on some shows right now.

Oh well, it will take some time to get more support.

I wish that Dish and Directv need offers HD package only, when order online and dropping all SD channels out, such as want be exclusive to HD only to save alot of bandwidth on dish.

I'm HDTV owner and experienced to received poor picture quality on SD channels and want change into all HD package, even I have to watch SD shows on old SDTV in other room to get full quality.
I thought Directv has over 100 HD channels and all you do is just pay $10 monthly.

its sony brand

Oh well. At least you have captioning. As for the digital part, I don't see the difference!

Oh well. At least you have captioning. As for the digital part, I don't see the difference!

From what I have been understanding is that the manufacturers are reluctant to put in the CC chip. They are trying to be technical, saying that all analog TV's get the CC chip, sure, but the HD's are a different tv and are trying to weasel out of their obligation.....so the story goes. That'll change if it hasn't already.

Back