Close captioning and/or hearing-required warnings?

BradBradBrad

Reaction score
Has anyone here played The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker? I loved it. As did my deaf friend Ron up until the point where you have to get the triforce shards. He had to stop playing until he could get someone else to beat that part for him (a large portion of the game too). Why? Because in order to find the Trifoce Shards you have to rotate the camera around the boat until you hear a humming sound that comes from the chest contaiining the shard. Its litterally impossible to find without being able to hear. Same thing with games like Myst, that require you to hear. I'm not saying they should elimate these puzzles, but maby there should be an option or a warning on the box telling you that its impossible to complete withouth hearing.

BradBradBrad said:
Has anyone here played The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker? I loved it. As did my deaf friend Ron up until the point where you have to get the triforce shards. He had to stop playing until he could get someone else to beat that part for him (a large portion of the game too). Why? Because in order to find the Trifoce Shards you have to rotate the camera around the boat until you hear a humming sound that comes from the chest contaiining the shard. Its litterally impossible to find without being able to hear. Same thing with games like Myst, that require you to hear. I'm not saying they should elimate these puzzles, but maby there should be an option or a warning on the box telling you that its impossible to complete withouth hearing.

Dat true.....It's pretty impossible to play a game that requires much hearing but without any visual warning.

Does "Legend of Zelda" have the vibration feature enabled in the controller? It could be much a bigger help eh?

If I remember correctly when I 1st played Grand Theft Auto III, it was impossible for me to find out where the bullets went without hearing 'em until I found out how to turn on the "tracers" that show the travel of the bullets fired from enemies's guns.

True Crimes Streets of LA has a much better visual warning on the "Random Crimes" stages where u have to drive around LA and look out for criminals. A red icon pops out of the radar to show a crime occuring then the words flashed on the screen like : "Look for Jay Leno's car", "Investigate street mugging" , ect. It was pretty helpful cuz I was able to get the random street crimes solved on way to the main stages.

Nope, Zelda had a feature that alloed you to rotate the camera with the c-stick, and wanted to show it off for this potion og the game. In allmost all video games,a s something gets closer to the camera (not the avitar) it ges louder. You were supposed to rotate the camera so that you can hear the sound get louder as the camera got nearrer. And it took like 3 seconds just to guess where the chest was, then about 5 second to relocate the boat and guess again. Even being able to hear, it takes forever. It would be impossible to guess without hearing, as the only visual aid is a golden spike of light that comes up from the exact point the chest is located, however, the golden spike disapears once you get even remotely close to it, and with the waves moving the way they do, it hard to tell where the spike was once you get to the general area that you saw it.

The final boss would almost be impossible (you HAVE to counter attack to beat him, and to counter attack you must react to a high pitch tone) if it wasn't for the very slight flash of an interface icon.

Oh well

but interesting on how zelda is played but I'm just more of a xbox man than a Nintendo guy.

Why dont u go over to http://www.nintendo.com and give Miyamoto a rant about this problem?

Perhaps ol' Sigeru and his boys can make the Next zelda better with more visual-audio linkage (flash connected to hearing) but Im afraid it may run a few risks like epilepsy when it begins to flash like strobe :dunno:

I'm loving this one and I've playing this one for about almost 2 months. It's so very awesome. That xbox is really suck! If u want to know about xbox then, I'll tell ya for about it.

Back