Close Captioned DVD player

I do not have these you mentioned, only I have is the Scrubs series, the rest are mostly movies.

Hiya Jacob. That's a shame. Could you please check the box of Scrubs and see if it mentions CC or SDH or subtitles: English. I suspect that it has SDH or English subtitles.

Chevy57: Does your DVD player support CC? If you have the DVDs that I previously mentioned, are you able to check them out for me? Thanks for the website.

I have actually bought one from the link you gave me -- World Import. For some reason, they still have not posted it. I bought it on 6th October 2008. So last Saturday morning 18th Oct, I gave them a call as it had been over 10 days. They told me that I have to pay an extra of US$38 for FEDEX fuel charges which I promptly paid via PayPal after the call. I rang them yesterday again and then told me that they will send it today but still no sign of the FEDEX tracking number that they promise to email me once it is posted.

If still no sign of it by tomorrow, I am going to call them back.

Does PayPal help in this instance since I paid the full amount via PayPal?
Note: This item is not purchased via ebay. This item was purchased via their own website and I paid through PayPal.

Subtitle or SDH is not the same as Closed Caption or CC

Subtitle / SDH - saved as a seperate file on DVD disc

Closed Caption / CC - embedded into the video file itself on DVD disc

I went on Pioneer website and read their maunal http://pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/DV-410V-K_OperatingInstructions0418.pdf and it mention nothing about CC, just only subtitle.

So Pioneer is probably simlar to all other DVD player, only CC on old yellow RCA video plug.

Subtitle or SDH is not the same as Closed Caption or CC

Subtitle / SDH - saved as a seperate file on DVD disc

Closed Caption / CC - embedded into the video file itself on DVD disc

I went on Pioneer website and read their maunal http://pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/DV-410V-K_OperatingInstructions0418.pdf and it mention nothing about CC, just only subtitle.

So Pioneer is probably simlar to all other DVD player, only CC on old yellow RCA video plug.

Hi TechBill. Yeah, I know the difference between CC and English Subtitles (SDH/English for the hearing impaired). :lol:

And yes, I have read the online Pioneer manual and it did not mention anything about CC, only subtitles. I think the Yamaha website does mention about CC in their manuals though.

Are there any plans to get rid of CC in USA and replace them with SDH? With HDTV and Blu-Ray discs on the rise, certainly CC is redundant now???

This is an interesting thread, we'll have to find out ourselves, eh?

Hi TechBill. Yeah, I know the difference between CC and English Subtitles (SDH/English for the hearing impaired). :lol:

And yes, I have read the online Pioneer manual and it did not mention anything about CC, only subtitles. I think the Yamaha website does mention about CC in their manuals though.

Are there any plans to get rid of CC in USA and replace them with SDH? With HDTV and Blu-Ray discs on the rise, certainly CC is redundant now???

There were no plan to get rid of CC. I think CC fell thur the crack when HDMI protocol was written and whoever wrote it assume that the CC decode reponisably lies on the STB or Devices itself not the TV end.

So all the STB like DirectTV or Cable boxes or Sat boxes had to add CC support on their HD STB and decode it before it is sent to HDTV.

It really screws everything up because there is no "one" set standard for HDTV CC protocol and each cable or sat companies is making up their own CC standard for their STB to decode as they send it over.

The HDTV companies cannot do anything about it unless HDMI procotol was written to include and support CC in it so they still add the CC decoder on thier HDTV following the FCC law but it will decode only from S-Video or old yellow RCA composite video or over the air.

It still will not detect or decode from component (red blue green cable) or HDMI (I heard rumors that some are starting to be able to decode CC from component cable but I have not seen proof yet)

techbill -- we can investigate ourselves, eh?

I been investigating for a long time and years.

I gave up on it and built a HTPC and use it to decode CC on it. I use Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 decoder on SageTV.

This way I don't have to worry about CC on DVD or upcovert player or etc. I can do it all on one same computer out to TV.

I been using HTPC for 2+ year and quite happy with it now. No more worry or deal with which dvd player or which HDTV etc and I can record my show too!

Toshiba and Panasonic support hard encoding of CC.

I have a panasonic DVD recorder and it has CC support but its not working. I might have done something wrong.

HDMI not allowing Closed Captioning?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=699933

I have one DVD player hooked up to S-Video and CC play fine and picture looks good also. Some TV sets have a good upscaler in them. The HDMI looks better but not a lot better.

UPDATE

Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-EZ28K Closed Caption CC

This player does have hard encode of Close Caption CC. You can change the color and size and some other things.

It's a tricky to get it to work.

Hit "SUB MENU" go to function then display and turn on Closed Caption CC.

When you start the DVD again you will not see Closed Caption CC. You need to hit "STATUS" button two times I think to turn on Closed Caption.

Home this helps

Last edited:
Hi all. Can anyone please advise which model/make of DVD players support Region 1's CC (close captions)? I could not find much information on this. And ebay sellers does not state or don't know which has CC decoder in them.

I have several DVD sets (Region 1) that only have CC but NO English subtitles. These include CSIs, Early Edition, Medium, etc. Mainly CBS/Paramount TV series.

Why bother putting CC nowadays where most of the rest of the major companies and the world uses "English subtitles for the hearing impaired" or "Subtitles for the deaf of hearing -- SDH" for DVDs?

Thanks.

DVD players don't do closed captioning. Closed captioning is handled by the TV. Subtitles now, that's something entirely different. Those are embedded in the dvd discs themselves.

DVD players don't do closed captioning. Closed captioning is handled by the TV. Subtitles now, that's something entirely different. Those are embedded in the dvd discs themselves.

True

But we want to have Upconvert DVD players to play DVD via HDMI cable to our HDTV for the best quailty video so we need to find DVD players that can decode Closed Caption or we are forced to use composite or s-video and degrade the quailty of the video which defeat the purpose of buying a upcovert DVD player.

That why we either have to find a Upcovert DVD with CC built in or force to use old DVD player or Upcovert with composite / S-video

I know you can say component cable offer same quailty as HDMI with CC but there not many HDTV that will do CC via component either. A few HDTV will work CC via component.

Last edited:
I know you can say compoment cable offer same quailty as HDMI with CC but there not many HDTV that will do CC via compoment either. A few HDTV will work CC via compoment.

Typically you set DVD player component out to "interlace" or "non-progressive" mode in order for line 21 CC to work with component. I am not sure if interlaced mode will up-convert from DVD to HD quality but it's still good quality. Personally I cannot tell video quality difference between regular DVD and up-converted DVD which is why I use Blu-ray (with sub-titles).

Peter

Typically you set DVD player component out to "interlace" or "non-progressive" mode in order for line 21 CC to work with component. I am not sure if interlaced mode will up-convert from DVD to HD quality but it's still good quality. Personally I cannot tell video quality difference between regular DVD and up-converted DVD which is why I use Blu-ray (with sub-titles).

Peter

Ah I did not think about the "interlace or non-progressive" mode setting on component. Thanks for explaining and pointing it out!

You know how HDTV work is by progressing thousands of "jpeg-like" picture per second to make up motion video on HDTV correct?

On your computer if you take one jpeg picture and zoom in to make it larger than it actual size it will start to look "blocky" but if you take same jpeg picture and use an image program to upcovert/resize it to a larger size then the computer will try to rebuilt the picture into a larger size so it wouldn't look so "blocky".

If you look carefully for it then I believe you will see the difference between a regular DVD 480 on a HDTV via s-video or composite that is stretched out to 720/1080 to fill in the HDTV screen over a DVD that is upcoverted to fit the 720/1080 screen.

Now I am not sure but maybe some of the HDTV may have a built in upcovert and is already upcoverting anything coming in via composite and s-video to resize it to fix their 720/1080 screen but it possible that may be the case why you couldn't tell the difference and I have not really check into it.

But I have noticed that high priced HDTV like Sony seem to take SD still make it come out nicely via SD input while other cheapo brand HDTV make them look so blocky.

Will not work thru VGA or component cable.

With proper software, CC should work. I have Power DVD Ultra 8 software and it plays CC fine even from some Blu-ray movies. I am able to see CC over DVI which is the same as HDMI. I am sure it will work with VGA or component. Software does not care which video cable is being used because the software reads CC from disk, overlays CC texts on video and transmit CC to TV.

Peter

With proper software, CC should work. I have Power DVD Ultra 8 software and it plays CC fine even from some Blu-ray movies. I am able to see CC over DVI which is the same as HDMI. I am sure it will work with VGA or component. Software does not care which video cable is being used because the software reads CC from disk, overlays CC texts on video and transmit CC to TV.

Peter

Yep, same here. Microsoft's Media Center's CC worked pretty well, too.

This is a little off topic but you can easily download for FREE a region-free tool for your desktop/laptop that will strip your DVD-Rom of it's default region code.

I own a region-free DVD player, cracked portable DVD player and I use my laptop all for viewing DVDS and the easiest method is the latter simply because a patch tool is under 2mbs.

Hacking your DVD player so it can play virtually any DVD is no difficult task.
For the portable player I have, I simply typed in a few numbers on the remote control and bingo - REGION FREE!

Then again there is always the PAL/NTSC issue but 90% of portable DVD players and laptops/desktops will display both PAL/NTSC signals with superb accuracy.

Back