Clockwise + Counter Clockwise

SASE

Reaction score
Hiya! Newbie here.

I have a question. Does it matter whether you sign clockwise or counter clockwise?

I bought a book, and it's very helpful, but I was wondering. When they say, for example, washing dishes, dishwashing: With palms facing, rub the right flat hand in a clockwise circle over the left flat hand. Does it really matter if I go counter-clockwise? And more importantly, do I have to worry about looking which direction anouther signer goes?

Hiya! Newbie here.

I have a question. Does it matter whether you sign clockwise or counter clockwise?

I bought a book, and it's very helpful, but I was wondering. When they say, for example, washing dishes, dishwashing: With palms facing, rub the right flat hand in a clockwise circle over the left flat hand. Does it really matter if I go counter-clockwise? And more importantly, do I have to worry about looking which direction anouther signer goes?

You must only sign these counter clockwise when signing to an Australian. ;)

For righties, it's counterclockwise. For lefties, clockwise. Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part, it is what I mentioned previously. However, it is not mandatory because the sign is still the same thing with the same context. It's more important to carry the idea through rather than worry about the specifics of hand movements.

For righties, it's counterclockwise. For lefties, clockwise. Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part, it is what I mentioned previously. However, it is not mandatory because the sign is still the same thing with the same context. It's more important to carry the idea through rather than worry about the specifics of hand movements.

It's actually clockwise with your right hand on left for right hand dominant.

I'm confused.

Edit: But I guess I'll just stick with the book, in case I ever run into a deaf Australian. ;)

My first remark was just a joke because of water going backwards in Australia.

The second that I told you is correct.

Okay... then do I have to remember clockwise vs. counter-clockwise? I mean, would there be a mix up in communication if I went the wrong way? Like, if I was talking to someone and 'said' "I like brown." But really, I just thought I was saying that, and instead said, "I like beer."

It's actually clockwise with your right hand on left for right hand dominant.

You know, I have been trying to think of several more examples other than 'wash dishes.' When I 'wash dishes,' my right hand (dominant) does go counterclockwise. I tried clockwise, but that felt less natural. What about Sunday? I do admit that signing the other six days of the week does require clockwise motions. Now that I am thinking of more examples (i.e. 'turn a door knob,' 'turn a volume knob,' 'cookie') maybe I am using a mix of either direction.

Okay... then do I have to remember clockwise vs. counter-clockwise? I mean, would there be a mix up in communication if I went the wrong way? Like, if I was talking to someone and 'said' "I like brown." But really, I just thought I was saying that, and instead said, "I like beer."

Actually, 'brown' and 'beer' have different motions and locations. 'Brown' is a B handshape starting near the top of the face and goes down the side of the face once. 'Beer' is also a B handshape but makes a small counterclockwise circular motion at the side of the chin.

EDIT: Beer and breakfast are also too similar so I personally prefer to use the same sign as 'bar' (where you buy and drink booze) for 'beer' instead of the B handshape version.

Actually, 'brown' and 'beer' have different motions and locations. 'Brown' is a B handshape starting near the top of the face and goes down the side of the face once. 'Beer' is also a B handshape but makes a small counterclockwise circular motion at the side of the chin.

My book says:

BROWN: Move the index finger of the right B hand down the right cheek.

BEER: Draw the index finger side of the right B hand down the right side of the mouth.

And I have another one from the library saying the same thing, I checked. Is ther different diolects or something?

Edit repling to kristy's edit: Break fast? *Hates to sound like a broken record* My book told me to sign eat, then "left flat hand at inside the bend of left elbow, then bend elbow." Sign for morning, I think.

My book says:

BROWN: Move the index finger of the right B hand down the right cheek.

BEER: Draw the index finger side of the right B hand down the right side of the mouth.

And I have another one from the library saying the same thing, I checked. Is ther different diolects or something?

There is a small difference in location with the beer sign being closer to the center of your face than brown. Also, the beer sign is repeated whereas brown is moved once down the face.

Context is important to use. One can't simpy say "I like brown" because brown is an adjective unless you are specifically talking about colors (i.e. when shopping for clothes or paints or whatever with a friend).

There is a small difference in location with the beer sign being closer to the center of your face than brown. Also, the beer sign is repeated whereas brown is moved once down the face.

Context is important to use. One can't simpy say "I like brown" because brown is an adjective unless you are specifically talking about colors (i.e. when shopping for clothes or paints or whatever with a friend).

Yeah. What I meant was that those are kinda similiar, which is why I used them to express my worry. Imagine talking to a cop in asl and she/he asked what my favorite color was and I woud say, "I like beer." Not a good idea for someone underage. -_-

I think I'll remember which way to go for the test, but in real life, maybe just sign in which way is most comfortable. Thanks for the help.

Yeah. What I meant was that those are kinda similiar, which is why I used them to express my worry. Imagine talking to a cop in asl and she/he asked what my favorite color was and I woud say, "I like beer." Not a good idea for someone underage. -_-

I think I'll remember which way to go for the test, but in real life, maybe just sign in which way is most comfortable. Thanks for the help.

There's also the lip movements or speech sounds if applicable. I am sure the cop won't flip out :P

Back