Clinton told CBS he had no rational explanation for his behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codger

Reaction score
Clinton: Lewinsky affair a 'terrible moral error'
Former president insists impeachment was 'illegitimate'

(CNN) -- Former President Bill Clinton said in a television interview Sunday that his relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky was "a terrible moral error" -- but insisted he wears his subsequent impeachment as a "badge of honor."

"I don't see [the impeachment] as a stain, because it was illegitimate," Clinton said on CBS's "60 Minutes" in advance of Tuesday's release of his much-anticipated 957-page memoir, "My Life."

The former president, who left office in 2001, three years after he became only the second president in American history to be impeached, reportedly received a $10 million advance for the book.

Clinton told CBS he had no rational explanation for his behavior with Lewinsky.

"I did something for the worst possible reason -- just because I could," he said. "I think that's just about the most morally indefensible reason anybody could have for doing anything."

But in an interview published in this week's issue of Time magazine, Clinton said his anger over independent counsel Ken Starr's investigation, coupled with his battles with Republicans after they took over Congress in 1994, figured into his behavior.

"It's not good for a person to be as mad underneath as I was. I think if people have unresolved anger, it makes them do non-rational, destructive things," he said.

"So I was involved in two great struggles at the same time -- a great public struggle over the future of America with the Republican Congress, and a private struggle with my own demons.

"I won the public one and lost the private one. I don't think it's much more complicated than that. That's not an excuse. But it is an explanation, and that's the best I can do."

Clinton told Time, which like CNN is a unit of Time Warner Inc., that Starr was "part of the new right that runs the Washington Republican Party" -- and that Starr "knew what he was supposed to do."

Clinton had originally agreed to an independent counsel to investigate Whitewater, a failed land deal in Arkansas in the 1980s in which he and his wife, Hillary, now a U.S. senator from New York, were investors.

But Starr's probe eventually expanded to include Clinton's testimony in a sexual harassment case filed by Paula Jones, a former state worker in Arkansas who alleged Clinton had made sexual advances toward her while he was governor.

It was during testimony in the Jones case that Clinton was asked under oath whether he had a sexual relationship with Lewinsky. His denial set off the impeachment case against him.

"This was not about evidence. This was about a struggle for power. I think they really saw us as usurpers," Clinton said of Starr's investigation.

"They honestly believe that the most important thing is that people that espouse conservative values and antigovernment policies and their economic philosophy be in power.

"So of course, there should be a different set of rules for them than everybody else, because the most important thing is to kick everybody else out."

In an unusual front-page review in Sunday's New York Times, Pulitzer Prize-winning critic Michiko Kakutani called Clinton's reminiscences "sloppy, self-indulgent and often eye-crossingly dull -- the sound of one man prattling away, not for the reader, but for himself and some distant recording angel of history."

Nevertheless, Clinton's book has turned into one of the publishing events of the year, with anticipation of details of the much-dissected personal lives of the former president and his wife.

Published by Alfred A. Knopf, the book has a first printing of 1.5 million and is almost certain to outsell Mrs. Clinton's memoir, "Living History," which came out last year.

'I was embarrassed'
According to an excerpt released by Time, Clinton said he misled his wife and daughter and the American public about his relationship with Lewinsky because "I was embarrassed."

"I didn't want to help Ken Starr criminalize my personal life, and I didn't want the American people to know I'd let them down. It was like living in a nightmare," he wrote.

"I went on doing my job, and I stonewalled, denying what had happened to everyone: Hillary, Chelsea, my staff and Cabinet, my friends in Congress, members of the press and the American people. What I regret the most, other than my conduct, is having misled all of them."

Once Clinton admitted to a relationship with Lewinsky, he was "in the doghouse," with his wife, and his relationship was also strained with his daughter, he told CBS. The family went into counseling.

"We'd take a day a week, and we did a whole day a week, every week, for a year, maybe a little more, and did counseling," he said. "We did it together. We did it individually. We did family work."

Clinton told Time that Starr's appointment "was a horrible mistake" that wound up ensnaring his wife and a number of Arkansas associates, including Susan McDougal.

"The thing that really angered me was I felt helpless because I felt like I had set in motion a chain of events in a good-faith effort to reassure mostly the press, more than the American people -- the people didn't care -- that I hadn't done anything wrong in Whitewater and neither had Hillary," he said.

Clinton Inhaled and he said he would do it again..He said it on MTV so much influancing our youth. :jaw:

deaflibrarian said:
GWB inhaled and drank. :bye:
But there are other records. A freelance journalist, Scott Wheeler, has obtained copies of the Arkansas State Police surveillance audio-tapes from the 1984 investigation of Roger Clinton, the President's younger brother. (Roger was eventually convicted for dealing in cocaine and sent to prison).

The tapes reveal that Roger Clinton was a drug trafficker - not just an addict who crossed the line. He can be heard describing how he used to smuggle large amounts of cocaine through airports hidden under his clothes. But most interesting is the comment he makes about the Governor: "Got to get some for my brother; he's got a nose like a vacuum cleaner."

Then there is the case of Sharlene Wilson, currently serving a prison term in Arkansas for drug offences. She told The Sunday Telegraph two years ago that she had supplied Bill Clinton with cocaine during his first term as Governor. "Bill was so messed up that night, he slid down the wall into a garbage can," she said. :whistle:

I think the thing that people find most distasteful about Clinton is that he gives the appearance that he can do certain things, and then, justify it. I even find it appalling. I don't care what he did. It really doesn't matter, but if you did it, admit it. Don't say you did something, and then, give a 100 excuses as to why. Because, it doesn't matter why. It matters that he did.

I'm also bothered by the fact that he said the impeachment was "illigitimate". Well, no. If messing around with someone in the Oval office is wrong, then, he should have faced punishment for it. He also should have faced it like a man, because, he did something wrong.

That's how I feel about it.

I agree Oceanbreeze

The only reason I posted this story is because there is so much Bush bashing going on, not to point out the shortcomings of Clinton, but to show that what everybody is hollaring about is nothing new. This nation has survived a lot or Presidential obfuscation, conniving, trickery, and dishonesty, and is not about to collapse over Bush, any more than it did over Clinton, Bush Senior, or any proceeding President. What harms this country more than anything is drawing up sides over party lines and making politics a game of "us vs. them".

So what do you suggest?
I am just curious.

I suggest that people keep their eyes and their minds open. Don't run around saying "This person is good because he/she is a Demican or Republicrat". Vote people not parties. Watch the news, not the hype. Ever see the movie "Wag the dog"? How does a magician work? Watch the misdirection and you don't see the trick.

I like the movie Cold Mountain. One line from that whole movie stuck with me more than any other. Rene Zwiliger said "They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say 'Shit, it's raining!' "

Codger said:
I suggest that people keep their eyes and their minds open. Don't run around saying "This person is good because he/she is a Demican or Republicrat". Vote people not parties. Watch the news, not the hype.

Youre right but I bash Bush not because he is Republican but I simply dont like Bush. I had no problem with Reagan or Bush, Sr.

But I cannot tolerate Bush, Jr - he is truly screwing up our country. I view him as a puppet period.

Codger said:
The only reason I posted this story is because there is so much Bush bashing going on, not to point out the shortcomings of Clinton, but to show that what everybody is hollaring about is nothing new. This nation has survived a lot or Presidential obfuscation, conniving, trickery, and dishonesty, and is not about to collapse over Bush, any more than it did over Clinton, Bush Senior, or any proceeding President. What harms this country more than anything is drawing up sides over party lines and making politics a game of "us vs. them".

:gpost: I agree with you. I find the whole idea of bashing a President, any President for things like this, alittle boring. It's all redundant. We've been having these arguments over policy for years. There's nothing new about it.

:whistle: :zzz: :lol:

Huh???
:wtf:
Who made the weather? You mean the Iraqi people?
They brought it upon themselves or something??

Codger said:
I suggest that people keep their eyes and their minds open. Don't run around saying "This person is good because he/she is a Demican or Republicrat". Vote people not parties. Watch the news, not the hype.
That's what I would not suggest. Nowaday, TV news are full of bullshits and all. That's why more and more people are starting to look for the information somewhere like New York Times, Guardian, etc etc...

Large percent of people finally realized that nowaday TV news offer nothing but misleading informations. Read the reliable news like New York Times, Guardian and others... and also be 'Cognite tute' will do the trick.

I don't hate Bush because he is a republican or conservative (actually he is not conservative).. but I hate him because of his incredibly stupidity, anti-women rights, anti-human rights and lousy economy policy plus his anti-environment attitude. Now that's very good reasons.

I admire Abraham Lincoln... he is a republican but honestly, he is the last republican-president who actually have a brain.

ravensteve, Bush admitted that he used the drugs. I rather to have a president who had a blowjob than drugged president. Being drugged cannot make the logical decisions.

Last edited:
Clinton should have been impeached and thrown out of office. But the democrats protected him in the senate. So its the democrats own fault why theyre losing elections and why the US supreme court prevented al gore in the white house. US supreme court punished the democrats for not doing the right thing and kick bill clinton out of the white house like the republicans did to nixon.

ravensteve, we should impeach Bush for his incredibly stupidity and drugs too but nooo, you guys want to hump him bit more. Only one thing that you cannot change -- past. Thank god for that.

Magatsu said:
That's what I would not suggest. Nowaday, TV news are full of bullshits and all. That's why more and more people are starting to look for the information somewhere like New York Times, Guardian, etc etc...

Large percent of people finally realized that nowaday TV news offer nothing but misleading informations. Read the reliable news like New York Times, Guardian and others... and also be 'Cognite tute' will do the trick.

I certainly did not mean a person should base their views on what they see on TV, any more than they should base them on conservative radio, or liberal newspapers. "watch" meant to view with discernment and wisdom.

Magatsu said:
I admire Abraham Lincoln... he is a republican but honestly, he is the last republican-president who actually have a brain.

Hmmm. I can give you a list or Presidents from both parties who did great things, mostly forgotten, and who did stupid things. Maybe that will be another thread, the good things each did I mean.

Magatsu said:
...Bush admitted that he used the drugs. I rather to have a president who had a blowjob than drugged president. Being drugged cannot make the logical decisions.
Bush wasn't "drugged" while in office as President. Clinton was not only President at the time, he was actually in the Oval Office. Ugh!

Reba said:
Bush wasn't "drugged" while in office as President. Clinton was not only President at the time, he was actually in the Oval Office. Ugh!

Very Good Point here ! :thumb:

All I know that in the newspaper said that Bush Sr had an affair in Australia when he was in the president. Barbara found out about it a few years later, and she didn't want to say anything about it. I don't blame her for that situation.

Codger, I don't understand your point of this post just because some bashed out on Bush, What about bashing out on democrats been most popluar bashing in AllDeaf forum and I don't see anyone complaining, but you complaining about Bush bashers? So you want to get even? and bashed about Clinton? Have you seen some of us bashing about Republicans more than democrats? It seems like there are more bashing onto Democrats than Republican.. Search it and You'll find it, I think if it's ok for them to complain about Democrats all the time, Then we should have the right to complain about Republicans or Bush.

I wish people would stop pointing fingers at certain party instead of looking at the whole facts the start of bashing....Thank you.. have a good day :)

There are many Presidents and other public figures who have royally screwed up. There's not a single President who hasn't. So, why are we getting all bent out of shape about it? Presidents are human just like the rest of us. I really think it's unfair the way we hold public figures up to the standards that we do. I've done it, too. I really think Clinton is a scumbag, but, did he really do anything that terrible???? Kennedy was a womanizer, for instance, and I am sure there's a Republican or two, that someone could mention that had affairs on their wives. And, that's wrong. I'm not trying to say it's not. But, what I am saying is...

When you stack them all up against each other, none of them comes out smelling too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back