Cleveland Clinic CI dept

Deaffy

Reaction score
Hello,
I just joined this website and I am greatly impressed with those that post here on a daily basis. I will give a little background information on myself in this post.

I was born with jaundice and Hep. Which back then the doctors believed caused nerve damage in my left ear.. ( never was able to hear a thing out of it). The doctors told my mother that I would eventually lose my hearing in my right ear when I got older. Which has actually happend when I reached the age of 23. I have been founded to be profoundly deaf in my right ear and I was told when I seen the audi thant the social security office sent me to see to be approved for SSI, That I could be a possible canidate for the implants. Ofcourse I was scared of the surgery and I was also having a tough time coping with my recent loss of my hearing and depression of dealing with day to day tasks that I once was able to do so easily.

Basically what this post is all about is if anyone here has any feedback on the Cleveland clinic. I have and apt on 1-19-10 to hopefully start my journey to having my hearing " restored" It has been 10 years since I have last heard anything. I am wanting to better my life and hopefully find a good job and become successful as a deaf individual in this hearing society. :ty: for any replys that can be addressed from those with experience with this clinic.

I would think the Clev. Clinic reputation pretty much speaks for itself, but there are some things to keep in mind. Will it restore your hearing? Maybe, but then again maybe it won't. Keep in mind that the programing could take months, CI's don't necessarily restore anything overnight. Where will your audiologist be located since you will be visiting him or her fairly routinely as adjustments will need to be made to the implants. Pay attention to what you are being told and to what your expectations should be. Make sure your expectations are realistic to avoid dissappoinment. And most of all good luck. My loss is profound but the thought of Cochlear Implants at this point scares the hell out of me. But that's just me.

They are very good

I have my diabetes treated there(I live in Maple Heights). I also have a progressive loss that was evaluated there(The Audiology department is top notch). They confirmed that eventually my hearing will go bye bye down the road and I have already made up my mind that I will got to them for a CI when needed.

I am totally aware of what to expect and not to expect if implants are the choice for me to make. At this point in life any hearing ( my opinion for myself) would greatly make a positive impact on my life. My expectations are not HIGH but I am willing to give it a go as we only have one shot at this life and may as well take advantage of the technology that we have offerd to us in this day and age.

Many people with hearing loss years ago did not have the benefits that we are soo dearly givin these days: TTY,CC,Rights and protections. So even if I will be unable to " hear" again I am completely content with my dissability. But I do miss the sounds of the world around us and would love to be able to enjoy the sound of a bird or a train or even be able to hear the voice of a significant other yet again.

When I was hearing I took it for granted that I could hear and communicate properly with others using telephones or just having a convo without missing anything. Being deaf has taught me alot about myself. And has given me the chance to appreciate life in two different worlds. :cool2:

I am totally aware of what to expect and not to expect if implants are the choice for me to make. At this point in life any hearing ( my opinion for myself) would greatly make a positive impact on my life. My expectations are not HIGH but I am willing to give it a go as we only have one shot at this life and may as well take advantage of the technology that we have offerd to us in this day and age.

Many people with hearing loss years ago did not have the benefits that we are soo dearly givin these days: TTY,CC,Rights and protections. So even if I will be unable to " hear" again I am completely content with my dissability. But I do miss the sounds of the world around us and would love to be able to enjoy the sound of a bird or a train or even be able to hear the voice of a significant other yet again.

When I was hearing I took it for granted that I could hear and communicate properly with others using telephones or just having a convo without missing anything. Being deaf has taught me alot about myself. And has given me the chance to appreciate life in two different worlds. :cool2:

Just curious, do you really still useTTY?

Yes I do Still use the TTY I am unable to hear anything on the phone receiver. I also have a cell phone for text messageing to keep in touch with friends or family. I basically use the TTy to get in touch with companys or doctors. I had just recently been able to get a TTY within the past year. SO it has been quite a blessing to be able to talk to people I havent been able to do in so long.

Well since you seem to be so well informed about everything else the Clev. Clinic should be the easiest decision of all.

As a matter of fact the only thing negative I can think to say about the Clev. Clinic is it's location.:ty:

Back