Clear Medical Face Masks

Would you find clear medical face masks as a benefit to Deaf and Hard of Hearing?

• Yes!

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • No!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I don't read lips so this does not apply to me.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I am indifferent.

• None of the above.

• Total voters

Sheila

Reaction score
My mom recently showed me something that the Deaf Community could use in medical situations. You know when you go to the dentist or doctor and they have that paper mask over their mouth? Would you prefer for that mask to be plastic so you can see thru it? It not only allows easier speachreading, but I personally think it would feel more personable. What do you all think? (This product is still in the development phase, so it's possible that it won't be popping up any time soon)

That would be nice and helpful as i do go to dr appt or dentist without interpreters.. it would be wonderful for me.. :)

Hmm... this sounds interesting.

How will this be done?

The current masks that they wear are paper-like material. When they breathe, it doesn't really do anything to the mask.

However, using plastic can cause it to fog up when breathing.

put anti-fog on the plastic mask so it wont fog up.. hows that? :)

Hmm... this sounds interesting.

How will this be done?

The current masks that they wear are paper-like material. When they breathe, it doesn't really do anything to the mask.

However, using plastic can cause it to fog up when breathing.

That's a REALLY good point. Like I said, it is still in the developmental stage so information gathered here and other places may make this a reality. The first problems I thought of were 1) Suffocation? and 2) Shiny Plastic? That would be no good to stare at.

Thank you all for your input.

Keep the ideas coming!

Not a bad idea. I believe Kimberly-Clark Corp., already has the patent for clear surgical masks.

Not a bad idea. I believe Kimberly-Clark Corp., already has the patent for clear surgical masks.

you mean this?
http://amphl.org/articles/cordwellcarroll2002.pdf

dated 2002

and this one in 2005 update on this mask
http://amphl.org/pulse/newsletter060105.pdf
"not a reality yet"

NAD on this mask in 2001: NAD Takes Action to Support the Manufacture of Clear Surgical Masks - National Association of the Deaf

other sites that mention of this mask;
Deaf Professional Network - Associations

News - Deaf doctor rises to challenges

all above that is from this google results;
Google

Yes, Boult. that was the one I saw earlier.

I thought 3-M would come up with stuff like that a long time ago.

my vote says yes

mostly doctors and nurse always using face masks in operation,dentist office,whatevers

my mom is nurse for CCU but she not operation room nurse

I visit dentist. Ok they wore facemask which i can't read lipreading then tell them please write on the paper. They understood. That is what I did tell them.

:ty: I like this responsiveness! I'll double check with her about if they are intended for surgery/dentist where they do actually need a filter.

She said that right now, they are still at the baby step phase, but their ultimate goal may be for medical purposes. They are trying to go further than the Kimberly Clark one (I believe). I appreciate the research, Boult! This was something completely new to me, but obviously not so new to the Deaf Community.
:cool:

time for me to checkup with dentist... I just hate 'em, I haven't went to dentist for couple year... yeah I do plan to see dentist when somebody punch me! lol

Great idea but using plastic over their mouth and/or nose can cause inable to breath and it can be fatal. You can not use plastic over mouth. Federal law.

So, what you can tell doctors, dentists, and nurses if you have to have them covered but you want to read their lips, ask them to wear full face plastic shield.. almost the same design as a machine operator or even welder wears. I heard some dentists have that already as well as doctors. Feel free to ask my wife who is now GLN--Graduate Licensed Nurse since she is graduating this weekend! She will take her exam to be LPN.

Anyway, that is best choice other wise, get an interpter, you are bound by ADA Law to receive an interpreter when requested. All medical offices must provide by hiring interpreter for deaf people. Or medical personnel (doctors, nurses, etc..) know sign language and can use them. My wife knows ASL and she signs with patients.

Great idea but using plastic over their mouth and/or nose can cause inable to breath and it can be fatal. You can not use plastic over mouth. Federal law.

So, what you can tell doctors, dentists, and nurses if you have to have them covered but you want to read their lips, ask them to wear full face plastic shield.. almost the same design as a machine operator or even welder wears. I heard some dentists have that already as well as doctors. Feel free to ask my wife who is now GLN--Graduate Licensed Nurse since she is graduating this weekend! She will take her exam to be LPN.

Anyway, that is best choice other wise, get an interpter, you are bound by ADA Law to receive an interpreter when requested. All medical offices must provide by hiring interpreter for deaf people. Or medical personnel (doctors, nurses, etc..) know sign language and can use them. My wife knows ASL and she signs with patients.

Congratulations to your wife! Yeah, like I said, I don't know how exactly they plan on making this, but the full face mask is a good idea too!

I've heard from deaf medical personnel that doctors very often simply refuse to wear clear shields. I'll post more on this when I have some time.

Fun story for y'all - when I was getting wheeled to the OR for my CI after I got to the table, one of the docs tried to talk to me and I'm all "I can't see your lips so I don't know what you're saying. Sorry." Then another doctor comes by... he used a sharpie to draw lips on his mask. I chuckled, he was an alright guy in my book. Infact all of them were pretty awesome :P

Back