Claustrophobic during hearing test

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I was talking to my mother who will be getting her first hearing aid on Jan. 6. She's very, very claustrophobic and being in that small sound proof room got to her so bad she said she cried all the way home. She's so scared to go back and she knows she'll have to go in there again to be tested when she get's her hearing aid. She asked me if there's anything I know of that they can do about this.

I'm thinking that there are other claustrophobic people out there who might have had this happen to them. So I'm just posting to see if anyone knows of any way around this. Maybe there's another way to be tested or something.

I'm not claustrophobic but I do know that a phobia can be very real and scary. And at my mothers age she doesn't need anything to make her blood pressure go up. Some might feel that this isn't such a big deal and she should just tough it out. But the dangers here are real and could be serious (Put it this way. May parents just had their 50th anniversary last summer).

So, I'm just looking for any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks.

Ron

I can definitely sympathize. I have the same problem. I end up in a full blown panic attack and they can't get an accurate audiogram on me. For this reason, I avoid audiograms.

In the past, they have tried a couple things, including: putting me in the child room (a bit bigger, less scary), or leaving the door open a little bit.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. The only other thing I'd suggest is a mild sedative from her doctor. For me, it's just not worth the stress that the test causes so I rarely go for my check ups. Not ideal, but that's my choice.

I can definitely sympathize. I have the same problem. I end up in a full blown panic attack and they can't get an accurate audiogram on me. For this reason, I avoid audiograms.

In the past, they have tried a couple things, including: putting me in the child room (a bit bigger, less scary), or leaving the door open a little bit.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. The only other thing I'd suggest is a mild sedative from her doctor. For me, it's just not worth the stress that the test causes so I rarely go for my check ups. Not ideal, but that's my choice.

I was going to suggest that also. I'm hearing, but I suffer from claustrophobia. I had to have an MRI a few years ago that was terrifying for me due to the narrowness of the machine. I asked to have a small dose of valium prescribed for me, and that worked like a charm!

I hope Ron's Mom can find something that works for her.

I suffer from claustrophobia, I get to go in kids room.

When I had my CT scan i nearly passed out with fear as I couldn't see or hear a thing so blindfolding might make it worse. I never liked being blindfolded and knowing that i am going into small room (it's making me sweat now typing this!)

Another thing that might help, Bach Rescue remedy.

Consult with her physician. An anti-anxiety medication may be the answer. It's not sedative and would not interfere with the test. Good luck!

Does being with others help?
If so, check with the Audi to see if someone can sit with her.
I would think the Audi would be understanding and would allow anything that helps.

Hope there are things that can be done to get a good test.

My grandma was able to come in with me when I first started going when I was 16:)

Thanks everyone. I'm passing on these suggestions to her.

Turns out my Dad went into the booth with her and although she appreciate the support if gave. She also said it almost made it worse with the though of two people being in there.

Thanks again.

Ron

Try the homeopathic 'Rescue Remedy.' This stuff works great for public speaking and exams, and I'm sure it'll ease her anxiety enough for future hearing assessments.

Good news. My mother got her hearing aid and didn't have to go back in that evil booth again. She said they just hooked a computer to it and made all the adjustments right in the office. So that's good. She's enjoying it so far (Just got it yesterday). She said the only problem she's had so far was using the phone and not being sure where to put it on the HA. But I guess she figured it out. :)

Thanks again everyone. If anything maybe someone else will find this post and some of your suggestions will help them.

Ron

My husband is claustrophobic and gets regular MRIs for a neurological condition. Whenever he's due for a scan, his physician gives him a low dose of Xanax to take.

Back