Classes and Movies and No SUBTITLES?!

Reaction score
Okay so I didn't know where to put this...
But I had my first day of classes today...
Class one was fine, notes will be online (all of them) so I won't have to worry (that much) on missing anything important.

Class two, oh my was it stressful.
We had our syllabus (course outline) handed out to us and then we get told we have to do a film review?? then we have films in class and do in class discussions and Q&As while watching film?! So after class I go to my Prof. telling her that I'm a student who is deaf and needs subtitles for the movies or else I won't get everything... She says "Oh, none of the films have subtitles" GREAT! :shock:

Now I'm freaking out because our film review is due on the 23rd... and I have no way of getting CC for any of the films.

Wirelessly posted

Go to disability services and raise the issue there. They can't force you to attempt to do the assignment without CC. Or look for a subtitled version of the films?

At our college, before classes start, the disabilities office notifies (in writing) each instructor of that student. The office informs the instructor what accommodations must be made (seating, captions, extra test time, etc.). The instructors have to follow the letter.

If media materials aren't captioned or subtitled, then they can't be used as required testable material.

I don't know if the rules are the same in Canada.

Wirelessly posted

Go to disability services and raise the issue there. They can't force you to attempt to do the assignment without CC. Or look for a subtitled version of the films?

I emailed Disability Services, booked an appointment... lets hope I get subtitles. I won't know the films we watch until she (professor) tells us either in a day in advance or the day of.
We'll see what happens. I'm pretty sure I will get subtitles... but it's more of WHEN will I get them?

Ask your professor to let you know when you're doing films in advance. I always make it clear to my law instructors they must accommodate me. I bet you Canada may have similar laws.

I hope you get an email back from them soon and the issue can be fixed. Some of the problems is that professors are lazy sometimes and don't like accommodating when needed.

Ask your professor to let you know when you're doing films in advance. I always make it clear to my law instructors they must accommodate me. I bet you Canada may have similar laws.

I hope you get an email back from them soon and the issue can be fixed. Some of the problems is that professors are lazy sometimes and don't like accommodating when needed.

The DSS emailed me back and I'm seeing them tomorrow! YAY!
Ugh, I know. I remember last semester I had to explain to my professor what a FM System was and why I needed him to wear it...

At our college, before classes start, the disabilities office notifies (in writing) each instructor of that student. The office informs the instructor what accommodations must be made (seating, captions, extra test time, etc.). The instructors have to follow the letter.

If media materials aren't captioned or subtitled, then they can't be used as required testable material.

I don't know if the rules are the same in Canada.

My university does the same. However due to the inclement weather, my meeting with DS has been postponed to the first week of classes. No big deal, most of professors know I can't hear by now anyway. I am not sure what the Canadian laws are on Disability Services, but surely they are required to provide some type of reasonable accommodation such as subtitles for the films. If none of the films are subtitled, can you get a transcript of the films made available to you? You might also try searching for the films on Netflix or Hulu to find subtitled versions For anything in the Criterion Collection, they are usually subtitled on the Hulu site.

If it were me, I'd have mentioned that accommodating disabilities is a requirement of the school, and if he/she didn't offer films with sub/captions, then the professor should give you an alternative assignment to watch which do have subtitles....seriously, I can't get over how stupid some educators are...

Laura

Okay good news.
I went to my prof again today and well, she didn't understand "subtitles" but understood "Closed Captioning" she said the movies are here at my college so I can easily get it. She said they highly will have CC on them. Now, maybe to ask if I can get the movie in advance to watch, then watch it again with the class with out CC.

I'm pretty sure for Disability Services, it's the same for Canada. We do get accommodations and whatever else we need. I know for sure I"m getting additional equipment for this semester.
The movie I'll be watching first is starting next week. We'll see how it goes!

she didn't understand "subtitles" but understood "Closed Captioning"

Wow, really? Talk about being out there, I can't imagine watching anything without it. I'm glad to hear things are back on track. Good luck and happy viewing....:wave:

Wow, really? Talk about being out there, I can't imagine watching anything without it. I'm glad to hear things are back on track. Good luck and happy viewing....:wave:

Yep! But she still doesn't quite understand my FM System... haha :P Lets just say I heard more of 're-cap and uncap the marker lid' and shuffling. I can't wait to see these movies now... with CC :)

Okay good news.
I went to my prof again today and well, she didn't understand "subtitles" but understood "Closed Captioning" she said the movies are here at my college so I can easily get it. She said they highly will have CC on them. Now, maybe to ask if I can get the movie in advance to watch, then watch it again with the class with out CC.

I'm pretty sure for Disability Services, it's the same for Canada. We do get accommodations and whatever else we need. I know for sure I"m getting additional equipment for this semester.
The movie I'll be watching first is starting next week. We'll see how it goes!

In the bold statement, why would you want to watch the closed captioned movie in advance and then not watch it in the classroom without the closed captioned??? You can watch it in close captioned right in your classroom before your professor can lecture about the movie. Also if you can understand what the professor is saying with FM and you lipreading him or her, then that you can handle this. But if not, then you can have a CART where you can read it if you could not understand the professor in class. :hmm:

In the bold statement, why would you want to watch the closed captioned movie in advance and then not watch it in the classroom without the closed captioned??? You can watch it in close captioned right in your classroom before your professor can lecture about the movie. Also if you can understand what the professor is saying with FM and you lipreading him or her, then that you can handle this. But if not, then you can have a CART where you can read it if you could not understand the professor in class. :hmm:

I can watch it with CC in class, but we have Q&A after the movie, and I can't do Q&A while watching movie or else I miss stuff. So if I watch it via CC at home... and then watch it again when we get the Q&A I won't miss as much. I can lipread and do have FM.

Back