CI's - those with long hair or wearing glasses

Fumasivil

Reaction score
Am in the final stages before the op. Just wanted some reassurance or some helpful pointers. I have shoulder length hair *sob sob*- a good small portion of it will be shaved off for the op. Plus I wear glasses.

1. How would one normally deal with long hair post op, I'm sure the surgical site will be very sore and sensitive. How does one brush it or don't bother until the blessed hair wash day? (From what I understand that one cannot wash their hair until 2 weeks later)

2. Glasses - would it be sore to wear glasses normally after the op. I wear mine f/t. And how long does the pain subsides before it gets comfortable wearing glasses normally?

Hi,

Yes i had bits of my long hair shaven!! I did have half way of my back hair, It's now shoulder length as it's easier to keep my hair down alot at this length. Took good few months before i could actually tie back tight enough. I brushed my hair carefully post op for few weeks it was fine as long you are careful and hold the knotty bits as you untangle it. It has been 8 months since my operation my hair is catching up quite quickly, another one or two trims it probably be same length, afterwards i would leave it and let it grow long again like before.

As for glasses take off the arm of the side you are having the implant put in for few days (you will also have a turban on and both ears would be covered) then it should be fine afterwards.

Am in the final stages before the op. Just wanted some reassurance or some helpful pointers. I have shoulder length hair *sob sob*- a good small portion of it will be shaved off for the op. Plus I wear glasses.

1. How would one normally deal with long hair post op, I'm sure the surgical site will be very sore and sensitive. How does one brush it or don't bother until the blessed hair wash day? (From what I understand that one cannot wash their hair until 2 weeks later)

2. Glasses - would it be sore to wear glasses normally after the op. I wear mine f/t. And how long does the pain subsides before it gets comfortable wearing glasses normally?

I had waist-length hair, way longer than yours, when I had two of my CI's. I made sure that i had my hair up in a loose ponytail, not so tight (otherwise it will hurt), and I had it messy ponytail...I have no idea what the style is, but check my blog and see post op pictures. I had the pony tail high enough if I have to put my head on the pillow so the wad doesn't bother me.

I don't think it's two weeks, I think it's just one week.
Start brushing the bottom first while you're holding the top, so there's not much pulling on the skin, where it can get sore. Use a very soft brush, and slowly brush the area. It will be sore, but it will be over soon. During my recovery time, I just left my hair in a low ponytail at the base of my neck so there's no tightness or pulling. :)

I'm surprised that surgeons still shave a large area! I only had about 1 to 1/2 inch long, and 1/2 inch wide. It's very unnoticeable.

As for glasses, take off the arm and the screw and save it in a safe place. I didn't have my glasses during post op recovery. I would think that after a week or so, your ears should be okay wearing the glasses. It's really up to you. Some recover within 3 days, others longer.

Good luck with your surgery! When is it and what brand?

Lady, she's from UK... 2 weeks without hair wash and big shave is the norm!!!! sigh... when are the surgeons gonna to shave little area. I think it was unnecessary to shave so much off! as you may have seen my Pictures on my blog.... that is way too much hair... I had hair wash 4 days post op with help of my mum and big pad of cotton wool to cover my incison while mum washes the rest of my hair.

OP.. are you having it done at cambridge or in london grays road??

Lady, she's from UK... 2 weeks without hair wash and big shave is the norm!!!! sigh... when are the surgeons gonna to shave little area. I think it was unnecessary to shave so much off! as you may have seen my Pictures on my blog.... that is way too much hair... I had hair wash 4 days post op with help of my mum and big pad of cotton wool to cover my incison while mum washes the rest of my hair.

Hey Char,

I was actually very surprised seeing how much they shaved off your hair. Didn't know it would be that much... is it really necessary?

I know it's just hair and it will eventually grow again... but still... Is it custom to shave that much?

*curious* Jamie

PS. I still need to get back to you on your blog... *grumble* (sorry!)

no worries... ask me anything..

Been reading... so far not bad... keep them coming..

I have waist-length hair and did when I had both of my CI surgeries. I was allowed to wash my hair 48 hours after the surgery. Like Lady, I kept my hair tied back in a ponytail or braid. I also go to the salon every now and then to have the area where the magnet sits shaved so that it sits comfortably. If I don't, my hair gets in the way and the magnet falls off.

Eh... Hear again you have your magnet area shaven off every now and then!!...This is new to me... I never need to shave that at all. My magnet sticks well and it's #2. Well, perhaps i have thin skin and my hair's quite thin.

Iv never had my magnet area shaved since my operation but some of my friends have as their magnet doesnt stick on properly. Like Charlotte, my magnet strength is 2 and my hair isnt very thick. My hair was very long a few years ago and it didnt affect my magnet strength having that much hair. Good Luck for your operation!

Eh... Hear again you have your magnet area shaven off every now and then!!...This is new to me... I never need to shave that at all. My magnet sticks well and it's #2. Well, perhaps i have thin skin and my hair's quite thin.

Your thin hair is probably the reason why your magnet doesn't fall off. I have very long, thick hair and if I don't shave the area near where the magnet sits, it won't stay in place. I also need to shave that area because if I don't, any movement I make with my hair will cause it to fall off as well. I use a #2 magnet, but am thinking about starting to use my #3 magnet since it always falls off when I lean back in my recliner.

that's exciting that you're getting really close!

I wondered the same about the glasses. Good thing I have an old pair for back-up, I think I'll just use that pair whenever I get my CI surgery done (still slowly progressing), and leave my nice brand new pair alone (exact same prescription lenses as the old).

My hair wasn't that long when I had my surgery and I was able to wash after 48 hours, as long as it was gentle wash. I do wear glasses, however, but didn't take the arm off mine. They are wire rim, so they could be stretched out a bit. I only had the one ear covered with the bell bandage, so I taped that arm of the glasses to the bell. It looked odd, but worked for me. Once the bell bandage came off, I wore them normally and had not problem.

Good luck with your surgery! When is it and what brand?

Have no idea of when's my op, have just one more appt to choose the implant and then it's the waiting - anything up to 3/4 months.

Overthe pond said:

Gray's Inn road. Am not impressed with their evaluation sessions to date - they lost my file first time round and next time they wasted my time by keeping me waiting and the last one - there weren't enough time to complete the tests. Luckily I'm an historical patient at this place so all my records are there. When I saw the consultant/surgeon, he was shocked that there was no CT scan in my records that he had to send me for one and then quickly evaluated the results before deciding that he's happy to do the op. Hmph! I do hope that they'll not give me a huge shaved area like yours. I already have a bald patch but it's in the wrong place :P

cdmeggers said:
I wondered the same about the glasses. Good thing I have an old pair for back-up, I think I'll just use that pair whenever I get my CI surgery done (still slowly progressing), and leave my nice brand new pair alone (exact same prescription lenses as the old).

Sounds like a good idea, my glasses are rimless and am reluctant to take off the arm. So I'll use my old ones, slightly older pres but still readable. Thanks for that tip.

I had my operation this past May..

I had my hair shaved quite a bit , but they grew back quickly!

After the operation I had my older wire rimmed that stretched over the turban it was working nicely , althought I didn't tape them..I had an early activation too , had the processor taped to my glasses.

After a few months having to put up with implant magnet falling all the time I cut my hair really short , and that worked v well! I still keep them short , and after a while I replaced my horn rimmed glasses with plastic rimless n very thin arms.that works very well for me!!

it is all trial n error for everyone till he finds something that works for him.

Gray's Inn road. Am not impressed with their evaluation sessions to date - they lost my file first time round and next time they wasted my time by keeping me waiting and the last one - there weren't enough time to complete the tests. Luckily I'm an historical patient at this place so all my records are there. When I saw the consultant/surgeon, he was shocked that there was no CT scan in my records that he had to send me for one and then quickly evaluated the results before deciding that he's happy to do the op. Hmph! I do hope that they'll not give me a huge shaved area like yours. I already have a bald patch but it's in the wrong place :P

Ouch... My friend who got CI in 1996, is still waiting for her up grade to freedom!
I know few people that are still going through the assessments for months/years (one is 2 years... she's still waiting for the funding!) Fingers crossed yours would go smoothly as soon as possible...

Back