CI's for under 1 ???

You will note that there was no mention of any sort of surgery in my posted question, merely the fitting of glasses to "fix" the vision problem. I would have thought that a child needed reasonably good sight to be able to learn lipreading and sign, also to eventually write with paper and pen, tho of course Helen Keller managed just fine.

This is a thread about CIs so of course the subject was still on CIs.

ASK the deafblind users how they can read and communicate with others.

My former boss at Gallaudet was completely deaf and blind and he lived a VERY independent life. He walked from his house in Washington DC to Gallaudet which is a few blocks ON his OWN without a guide dog, terp, or assistant.

Helen Keller had a full time teacher/assistant living with her so of course she did fine.

I have two oral deaf teenagers that have cochlear implants. My son was implant at three and it was my right as is mother to implant him. No there is no way I would have waited for him to make that decision when he was adult because all of those language opportunity windows would have closed for him. The cochlear implant is not for everyone but it was the best decision I have made for my son. My daughter was implanted at the age of ten. She was old enough to weigh in on the decision. And if she would have told me NO then I would have respect her decision. She spoke to her doctor, to her audiologist and to other friends that have implants.

Drema, neither you nor anyone else has the right to take away the decision making process from parents. I don't know about other parents but I know I made an informed decision.

In that case, it is ok to take that right away from people who dont speak
English at the home? Where does one draw the line? Dont they have the same rights to get their children implanted?

What was I comparing it with???????? no mention of HA or CI in my post, simply asking a question

Since this is a thread about CI inchilden, and that is the topic being discussed, it naturally follows that, as you did not specify HA, you are coparing to CI.

If you can find a mention of CI in my original question you have better eyes than me.

did you read the title of the thread before you started posting....or did you read any of the posts in the topic? This is a thread about CI.

I have two oral deaf teenagers that have cochlear implants. My son was implant at three and it was my right as is mother to implant him. No there is no way I would have waited for him to make that decision when he was adult because all of those language opportunity windows would have closed for him. The cochlear implant is not for everyone but it was the best decision I have made for my son. My daughter was implanted at the age of ten. She was old enough to weigh in on the decision. And if she would have told me NO then I would have respect her decision. She spoke to her doctor, to her audiologist and to other friends that have implants.

Drema, neither you nor anyone else has the right to take away the decision making process from parents. I don't know about other parents but I know I made an informed decision.

No one is trying to the decision making process away from parents. You have that right, you exercized that right, and now it is time for you to deal with ALL the consequences of your decision. Your decisions have both positive and negative consequences, and if you are incapable of living with the negative consequences perhaps you did not think your decision through completely enough. One of the consequnces of deciding to raise and educate your children orally was that you have to pre and post teach in order to insure that they stay at grade level academicallyu. Deal with it. Its part of your decision. You don't deserve accolades for what you have done. You put yourself in the position of HAVING to do that when you made your decision.

Given from what you have posted, I doubt seriously that you made an informed decision. There are far too many gaps in your knowledge.

Jillio I can agree with you that at times I am defensive especially when it comes to deal with my children. Can you agree that you and others like you are also defensive? I wonder if you are secure enough in yourself to agree that you are very very defensive.

Yeah, I get defensive....but not regarding the decisons I made for my child. I get defensive when people like you make unfounded personal remarks, innacurate personal accusations, and continue to spread misinformation and harmful judgements that are detrimental to the education of ALL deaf children.

I have no need to defend the decisions I made with my child. I am secure in the fact that I made the right decisions, and his success speaks for itself. And if there were negatives in my decisions, I accepted it as inevitable and dealt with it..I didn't blame the whole rest of the world for that.

Back