CI's, ASL, miscommunication, and the Deaf community

I agree.. it all come to being mature... sighs..

Making allowances can build a really large bridge. It's a start. You can't change long held beliefs regarding children and CIs overnight, but you can accept that is how some people feel. You can either learn why that feeling exists or you can choose to not do it. You can also control how you react to certain attitudes and behavior. You can get angry about it, but do you distrust and snap at every deaf person you meet online and in person over it?

Lily's father will have to decide if some things are just absolutely unacceptable - such as rude behavior by others, and create healthy boundaries around that. It's nice that he wants Lily to participate in the deaf community. I hope this experience does not scare him off from meeting some really cool deaf people of all walks in life who also make the allowance for diversity.

IMO.

Audiofuzzy said:
there is already a lot of threads about how CI pple turn their backs on deaf ways and are leaving deaf culture but nothing about the true colors of the deaf community when people get CI or worse, implant their children.

so let's stick to THIS subject about how deaf community treats these people.
I for one am interested.

Fuzzy

"True colors of the deaf community?" Nowhere I have seen myself saying CI is bad, and I AM part of the deaf community. My best friend has CI and she is very comforable with using her voice, and I am very comforable with signing but I don't use my voice except for yelling at my hb. lol. jk. Generalisms hold no water with me in discussions. I'll explain why...

Victimhood (us vs them) isn't a sign of progress.. IMO. It doesn't do real accountability of individuals who actually made you angry with their inflammatory anti CI comments. Instead, I see the whole deaf community being blamed for these individuals. You blame the deaf community, you blame me AND the ones who are sensitive to this sort of thing. That doesn't sit very well with me, and is a lie to me. I have never insulted anyone with CI of being borg or whatever the word is these days (btw I love Star Trek, too!). Just ask Malfy. That's just immature, man, as it is immature for others to undermine your choice of having CI with namecalling and insults.

Liza said:
Making allowances can build a really large bridge. It's a start. You can't change long held beliefs regarding children and CIs overnight, but you can accept that is how some people feel. You can either learn why that feeling exists or you can choose to not do it. You can also control how you react to certain attitudes and behavior. You can get angry about it, but do you distrust and snap at every deaf person you meet online and in person over it?

Lily's father will have to decide if some things are just absolutely unacceptable - such as rude behavior by others, and create healthy boundaries around that. It's nice that he wants Lily to participate in the deaf community. I hope this experience does not scare him off from meeting some really cool deaf people of all walks in life who also make the allowance for diversity.

IMO.

Good thoughts Liza. I agree with you. I think we need to make our own choices and accept that we can't change others' reactions to us. But however be open minded enough to realise that we aren't all the same and to learn how to work around our differences.

neecy said:
If you would bother to read the entire post I wasn't ACCUSING anyone. I was stating fact, based on the reaction Lilly's Dad received. Its sad he was treated the way he was, but from talking to others here I'm glad to see that attitudes are changing. Clear now? Not EVERYTHING I type is inflammatory or accusing you know.

Then make yourself clear, because it looks like to me the blaming is on the whole Deaf community. When I was no where at the Deaf events where Lily's Dad was at.

First off - I said (more than once) to re-read the the first post I made in this thread- It states VERY clearly that I was referring to another thread, started by Lilly's Dad

In fact here's the FIRST LINE from *this* thread:

In another thread, Lilly's Dad mentioned that he took her to a Deaf Nation event

(all you had to do was search - its been the first thread listed in "our world/our culture for days now.) I assumed since I said I was referring to a thread started by somebody else, you would read THAT thread before jumping to conclusions or saying I'm being accusatory.

here - read this
http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=27349&page=1&pp=20

NOW do you understand what I was talking about?

R2D2 said:
Good thoughts Liza. I agree with you. I think we need to make our own choices and accept that we can't change others' reactions to us. But however be open minded enough to realise that we aren't all the same and to learn how to work around our differences.

:werd: I agree, as I said before there are many sides how people will see this, but it not our places to make judgments when we can't change how people will reactions others, all we can do is listen, help others understand the reason why the child is wearing CI, education them as well, soon enough some deaf people will realized the real reason behind this and will give this child a chance to be involved, it wouldn't hurt to try because I know there are some deaf people like me who don't care about children being implanted with CI, we treat all people the same , no better or less....

Absolutely Angel, I agree with you. Patience is the key.

Back